Roche says good bye to Valium

[Mo...]

Another reason to discontinue it...It kills people.

Not surprised at all that John Hinkley was taking it....He is probably completely normal now..and no harm to society..just do not give him anymore Benzo's.

When will the insanity end?

I'm guessing anti depressants, anti psychotics, ADHD meds, anti convulsants.

They probably already have these on the market, but as any drug goes generic, other "better" versions of the older drug often come out. Somewhere along the line of that process, the patent does run out, and then generics take over to the point that continuing to make the original "brand name" drug becomes unprofitable.

But again, there are conditions that doctors have identified as requiring so much precision, the brand name drug is the only one that works adequately for some individuals. I've read that certain thyroid conditions is one of these.

Certainly Roche and other drug companies make many medications that do help with numerous health problems. But somehow I think the world will survive w/o the branded version of Valium.

Hi Summer.

Well, I'm constantly learning something everyday about many things, and about benzos.

Their brand name liquid klonopin isn't available is the US, and I don't even know about the pills.

Pfizer (I think it was Pfizer) recently stopped making Xanax for the Australian market, and once again, I don't know if it's still available here as a brand or not.

It just seems that perhaps slowly the branded benzos are giving way to the generics. But the generic companies are often owned by the big named companies anyway, so profits are still way up there.

I think that no matter how "wonderful" it may seem that a big name company stops making a branded benzo, it's important to realize that all the generic versions of benzos are still out there and being prescribed every day. And so it goes.

Yes, exactly! I have found the best thing I can do is learn about ALL of these Psych meds and do my best to take care of myself.

Summer,

That's exactly the way I feel also. And it's the reason I've avoided taking any other kind of "brain med" during my adventures with benzos.

By that I mean, I've chosen to not take any AD, Neurontin or seroquel. Those are the drugs my doctor has offered me to help with my benzo issues, but knowing what I have learned about all these through my research, I have decided that for me, I did not want to introduce any other medication that would have any other affect on my brain or have any interaction with the benzo.

It's an individual decision that I made for me. I've got enough problems with the benzo alone.

But it will still live on..."The drug is no longer protected by patent and unbranded, generic versions of the drug called diazepam - made by other companies - will continue to be available." Now that it's going generic, will it be even more inexpensive and accessible to people?

Terry,

I think the overall price may come down. For example, if you were to pay out of pocket for branded Valium, it most likely would be much more expensive than doing so with a generic type Valium.

And if using insurance, from my experience with most Rxes, insurance companies always go with the generic version if there is one unless the doctor specifies that only the brand name be dispensed. And in that case, it often seems that the brand name is not "preferred" by the insurance, so it costs more.

So I would guess that Valium going generic would make it less expensive for those people who had been using the brand name version for whatever reason.

I wouldn't expect that this aspect alone would affect accessibility. I'm thinking that many people are already using generic versions of Valium. And if they're not, and a doctor gives them a prescription for Valium, they will now be getting the generic version. And I don't think doctors will be inclined to prescribe it any less simply because Roche no longer puts their brand name on it.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, Roche is a big company and is still at the top of the "heap" of drug companies.

I doubt that anyone here is too concerned about their survival.

I also doubt they discontinued making the name brand Valium because they finally recognized it's side effects. I think they just weren't making as much money on it as before with all the generics out there, so there was way less profit to be made and " fighting " to hold onto a patent that expired awhile back (I don't know when) makes no sense at all.

In think this is "the writing that is on the wall."

I've been a user of brand-name Klonopin for 28 years now, for Peripheral Neuropathy, (off label use), and am very concerned about the ceasing of brand-name production. 

I called Roche-Genentech, and was told "maybe production would resume this coming October".

I'm very worried they are removing it from the market, (as they did with Valium), due to all the lousy generics available, which don't work the same for me, and cause me to go into horrendous withdrawal.

I only take 3 to 4 halves of a 1/2 mg. tablet daily, i.e., 3/4 mg. to 1 mg. daily, but when I tried to cut back the brand-name Klonopin to 1/2 mg. daily, went into spasmatic withdrawal.

Can anyone recommend a generic that has worked as well as the brand-name Klonopin? 

You would think companies like Roche-Genentech would show some compassion for users of their brand name drug because of the withdrawal they will almost certainly experience via switching to a generic version that doesn't work as well, but as always, it's only the bottom line in dollars these large companies care about! Very sad... :(

Thanx!

K

• 4 weeks later...

I pick up my Roche's tomorrow.  How Long before the Roche's will officially not be available? 3months? This is horrible news.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
They make more money on AD's, AP's, etc...They don't want the liability of its horrible addiction. I smell a class action lawsuit...

They make more money on AD's, AP's, etc...They don't want the liability of its horrible addiction. I smell a class action lawsuit...

I agree...