The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

Does low grade fever have to do with hormones or its another bws symptom?

thxs

I'm not sure, but I think it's mostly related to high anxiety.  It's called a "psychogenic fever". 

My cycle is 9 days delayed and its streching every month now. I am in early 30. It's too early for menopause I guess. :(

Stress is so hard on the reproductive system!  But you'll get that regularity back once you heal.  It might take some diet changes and maybe a little help from supplementation, but it will come back.  Vitamin A is a particularly powerful nutrient for healing reproductive issues.

My cycle is 9 days delayed and its streching every month now. I am in early 30. It's too early for menopause I guess. :(

Stress is so hard on the reproductive system!  But you'll get that regularity back once you heal.  It might take some diet changes and maybe a little help from supplementation, but it will come back.  Vitamin A is a particularly powerful nutrient for healing reproductive issues.

Really? I actually thought I am going into menopause. I don't know how much time it will take to heal and sometimes waves really depress me.

Really? I actually thought I am going into menopause. I don't know how much time it will take to heal and sometimes waves really depress me.

It would be really early for menopause.  I think your hormones are just really messed up, but that is something that is reversible.  Once the stress of withdrawal is past, you should be able to rebuild your hormone levels. 

I don't think it's menopause per se, but it's the impact of the benzo!

Benzos are known to interfere with women's cycles, some people bleed a lot more and heavier, and some have their period disappear altogether.

Geraldine Burns Podcast talks about this all the time.

Once you are off the benzo, if you're still on it, your cycle should return to normal.

If you're already off, then it's just a matter of your body readjusting and coming back online into normal rhythm etc.

Winnie

It would be really early for menopause.  I think your hormones are just really messed up, but that is something that is reversible.  Once the stress of withdrawal is past, you should be able to rebuild your hormone levels.

Thank you so much for this encouraging post. I really hope it get back to normal. During my cycle my symptoms increase like anything.

I don't think it's menopause per se, but it's the impact of the benzo!

Benzos are known to interfere with women's cycles, some people bleed a lot more and heavier, and some have their period disappear altogether.

Geraldine Burns Podcast talks about this all the time.

Once you are off the benzo, if you're still on it, your cycle should return to normal.

If you're already off, then it's just a matter of your body readjusting and coming back online into normal rhythm etc.

Winnie

Thank you Winnie for this information. I wil hear the podcast too. I do hope it gets back to normal soon.

Guys I been holding nearly 3 months now and feel a LOT worse , anyone feel better after making a cut after a hold?

Nova  :smitten:

After skipping my period last month, it's here now with a vengeance.  I was so relieved when it started because I was afraid I was going into menopause.  The first day gave me relief from the PMS tension, but today has been really horrible.  I woke at 3:45 and couldn't sleep anymore.  But 6 I was a basket case.  I'm basically hemorrhaging, my anxiety and heart rate are way up, and I'm so exhausted at the same time.  Burning in my legs...ugh.  It's awful. 

After skipping my period last month, it's here now with a vengeance.  I was so relieved when it started because I was afraid I was going into menopause.  The first day gave me relief from the PMS tension, but today has been really horrible.  I woke at 3:45 and couldn't sleep anymore.  But 6 I was a basket case.  I'm basically hemorrhaging, my anxiety and heart rate are way up, and I'm so exhausted at the same time.  Burning in my legs...ugh.  It's awful.

Oh no that's way too much for menstrual symptoms. I hate this medicine and the docs who give this like candy on the table. They don't know how much we suffer afterwards.

Oh no that's way too much for menstrual symptoms. I hate this medicine and the docs who give this like candy on the table. They don't know how much we suffer afterwards.

True!  It's really horrid.

Hi Nova

I am not sure I understand your signature but wanted to say I was feeling worse holding too and after nine weeks I started micro tapering at 2% for the last ten days and my sleep and burning is worse than every. I didn’t think my body would notice such small cuts. Sometimes I think holding made it where I can’t cut at all now but I was in such a bad spot I had. I choice but to hold and I guess I am still no ready to cut again. Hopefully someone else responds. Not many are around here anymore.

Hi everyone! I haven't been on this site in years. Just wanted to let everyone know I'm healed, and the period stuff did get better for me. It did take some time, but things leveled out over time.

Hi everyone! I haven't been on this site in years. Just wanted to let everyone know I'm healed, and the period stuff did get better for me. It did take some time, but things leveled out over time.

Thanks for coming back!  It's always so encouraging when someone returns to give us a positive update. 

Nova: I hardly go on this site anymore, I can't remember the last time but ironically I love the book club site and came here to find some new books that they recommend.  I checked out this group and saw your post - so here goes.  IMHO -  There are 2 types (and probably many more) people - those for whom holds help and those who get worse and worse. The latter was me.  What I had to realize is that holding was not my solution to feeling better and that I just had to suffer the consequences and get off. And yes I held for long periods of time too and one time initially felt better only to have disaster occur and have worse s/x than I had ever had before.  For my body, and many of my friends who were on the old KK club support group here, we all just kept cutting to get off of the benzos.  I look back on my taper as a period of absolute horror - the years that I missed can never be regained, but at least now I am totally fine and able to do whatever I want to do.  You can't listen to anyone on these boards, but what you have to do is listen to your own body and do what is best for you and only you.  If holding is making you feel worse than I think you have your answer.  Wishing you the best.

Hi Jenny.

Thank you so much for coming back and letting us know that you are healed. You have given me hope that I will heal too. Thank you

I am right here with you Nova. Was doing OK, then had surgery and several medical situations/drugs 9 weeks ago. Completely destabilized me. My dose I was taking no longer works (it was before the surgery) I have been holding, and it still doesn't work. Experimented with a few updoses and downdoses, nothing really worked.

I don't know what to do, I am living in my lymbic system and not getting relief.

I feel stuck on a dose that makes me miserable. I wish I could find a solution. Interested to see how you do.

The hold is not helping me, and I don't even want to be holding, but feeling stuck.

I am right here with you Nova. Was doing OK, then had surgery and several medical situations/drugs 9 weeks ago. Completely destabilized me. My dose I was taking no longer works (it was before the surgery) I have been holding, and it still doesn't work. Experimented with a few updoses and downdoses, nothing really worked.

I don't know what to do, I am living in my lymbic system and not getting relief.

I feel stuck on a dose that makes me miserable. I wish I could find a solution. Interested to see how you do.

The hold is not helping me, and I don't even want to be holding, but feeling stuck.

Ditto waiting until next week as its bonfires an fireworks all this week and its like e a war zone where I live with noise and vibration from the noise  :'( Other wise I would have cut this weekend gone. I'm desperate as are you , scared to cut, scared not to try cutting. Also terrified to updose as it only helped once in the past and I really don't want to go back over old ground to come back here or even worse than this?? My God!! don't bear thinking about as I'm already in deep hell  :'( Also feel on times worse after taking a dose too

Hi, I am planning to do a long hold once I get to .75 mgs K daily.  Looks like it will be around Thanksgiving week.  Holding because I am not at the point where I can take a leave/resign/retire from current job.

I am going to read through all of the posts on this long topic thread...I am wondering if just a partial taper leads to a better life, even if you are still on a substantial amount daily.

I did a long hold for three years at .5 mg. I got my life back to normal, like I never tapered at all minus one symptom that would come up occassionally which was inner vibrations. Had some very severe ones during the taper and at the hold they just began to disappear. I just did another round of tapering down to .25 mg. And plan to do another round to .125 mg. I don't even have getting off it as a plan because it will take so long. But a year long taper to half it feels doable. That was why I decided to taper again.

I don't know if you had symptoms before you started tapering. I had acute wd before I started from using it PRN along with daily dose. That triggered some sx and then acute phase. Anyway, I do believe that doing some long holds (based on my experience) allow the body to adjust to the new dose and get some healing. There is an idea that others had shared with me ages ago that the goal is to taper slowly enough that your body adjusts and heals along the way. But when you go faster than that or perhaps have tapered far enough down that your body needs a timeout to acclimate to the new dose, that is when you get more and worse sx. I feel there is some truth in the acclimation aspect. I tapered a good few percent faster this round than previously and really had minimal to zero sx for most of the taper. It truly was like heaven. I do believe that the 3 years off were what helped my body.

I think the time off from tapering allowed healing to happen. I think it allowed my body to upregulate some gaba receptors so that I was able to handle tapering better now. And I think it acclimated well to the lower dosage, so much so that when I began taking it during the day instead of at night I could actually feel some sedating and relaxing effect. And I still had that for much of my taper until I was near to the end. Even then that issue was in part triggered by a change in the brand of tegretol I take which interacts with K. It was like a higher cut for that month. I also microtaper daily which helps as well. Easier to slow down with little holds as needed and then you can avoid any big hits for the most part.

So yes, I found that stopping my taper was really good for me and it's why now when I do taper, I do shorter rounds with the goal being to lower the dose (which for me was cutting it in half over the course of a year). That allowed me to continure life as normal. I worked. I repainted almost my entire interior of my house by myself. I did a bunch of gardening. I went for 4 mile walks for a portion of the taper.

I should also mention that I did keto on and off for most of the year. I think it helped with the taper. I had noted that higher carbs and sugar and processed foods could trigger symptoms. This was really notable during my taper years ago (so much so that I ate almost exclusively hamburger LOL). Cheese, nuts, msg, processed stuff and sugar would make symptoms much worse, painfully so. This time I had begun keto to lose weight before I even tapered. So it was just par for the course. But I suspect it might have helped as well. I was able to continue eating nuts and cheese for much of the taper until near the end. I think I even had decaf coffee early in it this time. But by about half way in I cut it out as I noticed some sensitivity.

I don't see any reason why a long hold wouldn't be fine for you. It will allow your body to heal from the cuts you have made and give it time to adjust to the new dose. And during that, symptoms begin to abate. Some quicker than others. I think the key is to not get overwhelmed or scared of the benzo. I remember I was just so terrified after some of the things I read here. Like right now there is a big orange/red note at the top of the forum about brain injury from benzos or something like that. Shit like that really set me off and so I was terrified to take the pill and terrified of the taper. All that terror while tapering is just amplified. I had to leave this place entirely. Years later I see that stuff and shrug it off. Our brains heal. Neuroplasticity is a thing. So stuff like that can make you feel worse about all of this. Ignoring it and realizing our bodies do heal can help feel better.

Hi, I am planning to do a long hold once I get to .75 mgs K daily.  Looks like it will be around Thanksgiving week.  Holding because I am not at the point where I can take a leave/resign/retire from current job.

I am going to read through all of the posts on this long topic thread...I am wondering if just a partial taper leads to a better life, even if you are still on a substantial amount daily.

I did a long hold for three years at .5 mg. I got my life back to normal, like I never tapered at all minus one symptom that would come up occassionally which was inner vibrations. Had some very severe ones during the taper and at the hold they just began to disappear. I just did another round of tapering down to .25 mg. And plan to do another round to .125 mg. I don't even have getting off it as a plan because it will take so long. But a year long taper to half it feels doable. That was why I decided to taper again.

I don't know if you had symptoms before you started tapering. I had acute wd before I started from using it PRN along with daily dose. That triggered some sx and then acute phase. Anyway, I do believe that doing some long holds (based on my experience) allow the body to adjust to the new dose and get some healing. There is an idea that others had shared with me ages ago that the goal is to taper slowly enough that your body adjusts and heals along the way. But when you go faster than that or perhaps have tapered far enough down that your body needs a timeout to acclimate to the new dose, that is when you get more and worse sx. I feel there is some truth in the acclimation aspect. I tapered a good few percent faster this round than previously and really had minimal to zero sx for most of the taper. It truly was like heaven. I do believe that the 3 years off were what helped my body.

I think the time off from tapering allowed healing to happen. I think it allowed my body to upregulate some gaba receptors so that I was able to handle tapering better now. And I think it acclimated well to the lower dosage, so much so that when I began taking it during the day instead of at night I could actually feel some sedating and relaxing effect. And I still had that for much of my taper until I was near to the end. Even then that issue was in part triggered by a change in the brand of tegretol I take which interacts with K. It was like a higher cut for that month. I also microtaper daily which helps as well. Easier to slow down with little holds as needed and then you can avoid any big hits for the most part.

So yes, I found that stopping my taper was really good for me and it's why now when I do taper, I do shorter rounds with the goal being to lower the dose (which for me was cutting it in half over the course of a year). That allowed me to continure life as normal. I worked. I repainted almost my entire interior of my house by myself. I did a bunch of gardening. I went for 4 mile walks for a portion of the taper.

I should also mention that I did keto on and off for most of the year. I think it helped with the taper. I had noted that higher carbs and sugar and processed foods could trigger symptoms. This was really notable during my taper years ago (so much so that I ate almost exclusively hamburger LOL). Cheese, nuts, msg, processed stuff and sugar would make symptoms much worse, painfully so. This time I had begun keto to lose weight before I even tapered. So it was just par for the course. But I suspect it might have helped as well. I was able to continue eating nuts and cheese for much of the taper until near the end. I think I even had decaf coffee early in it this time. But by about half way in I cut it out as I noticed some sensitivity.

I don't see any reason why a long hold wouldn't be fine for you. It will allow your body to heal from the cuts you have made and give it time to adjust to the new dose. And during that, symptoms begin to abate. Some quicker than others. I think the key is to not get overwhelmed or scared of the benzo. I remember I was just so terrified after some of the things I read here. Like right now there is a big orange/red note at the top of the forum about brain injury from benzos or something like that. Shit like that really set me off and so I was terrified to take the pill and terrified of the taper. All that terror while tapering is just amplified. I had to leave this place entirely. Years later I see that stuff and shrug it off. Our brains heal. Neuroplasticity is a thing. So stuff like that can make you feel worse about all of this. Ignoring it and realizing our bodies do heal can help feel better.

All good info. Did you ever feel worse holding? I am crashed and bed bound. In acute withdrawal around 2mg v equivalent. I start to feel really toxic sick holding after a couple weeks to a month but I can not really taper at this point either. Can’t even really get up for food. This has been very difficult. How long I to your hold did it take for your acute to get better. Also there are so many in this group that say holding didn’t help and I do believe some are that way but how. Do we know.

All good info. Did you ever feel worse holding? I am crashed and bed bound. In acute withdrawal around 2mg v equivalent. I start to feel really toxic sick holding after a couple weeks to a month but I can not really taper at this point either. Can’t even really get up for food. This has been very difficult. How long I to your hold did it take for your acute to get better. Also there are so many in this group that say holding didn’t help and I do believe some are that way but how. Do we know.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I don't come here much.

I never felt worse for holding. I was actually never going to bother tapering again as my first round was horrible due to length and suffering. But I felt so much better during my hold. It only was last year that I began to consider tapering again, in part because I felt so good for the last few years. I realized that I might be able to lower my dose and feel fine during it or at least recover well from another taper. Ultimately it was pretty easy for nearly the whole things this round.

I don't think I every really got better from my acute phase. Or not fully, which I think was in part why my taper was hellish back then. I think I felt better enough to taper, but really I had been in such a terrible state that I might not have given myself enough time.

Back during my inital taper I helf for a month or six weeks a few times. And no, that didn't help me at all. I regretted it. What I realize now is that those were not enough time and that my system was so sensitive from the taper back then, that I needed to actually just stop tapering for a while. Though I don't know that everyone can do that. And I guess if you feel sick just taking the med, then longer holds feel terrible in general as you just want to get off it.

For me, it took several months to really notice any true improvement that was like I was getting back to normal.

I do hope you feel much better very soon.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I don't come here much.

I never felt worse for holding. I was actually never going to bother tapering again as my first round was horrible due to length and suffering. But I felt so much better during my hold. It only was last year that I began to consider tapering again, in part because I felt so good for the last few years. I realized that I might be able to lower my dose and feel fine during it or at least recover well from another taper. Ultimately it was pretty easy for nearly the whole things this round.

I don't think I every really got better from my acute phase. Or not fully, which I think was in part why my taper was hellish back then. I think I felt better enough to taper, but really I had been in such a terrible state that I might not have given myself enough time.

Back during my inital taper I helf for a month or six weeks a few times. And no, that didn't help me at all. I regretted it. What I realize now is that those were not enough time and that my system was so sensitive from the taper back then, that I needed to actually just stop tapering for a while. Though I don't know that everyone can do that. And I guess if you feel sick just taking the med, then longer holds feel terrible in general as you just want to get off it.

For me, it took several months to really notice any true improvement that was like I was getting back to normal.

I do hope you feel much better very soon.

Thank you so much for replying perhaps I have never given it enough time. I get bad waves and get scared. I also can not tolerate low carb and wonder if this is why I am having such a hard time as well. I only eat Whole Foods but notice carbs like potatoes and fruit can really make me feel worse but if I cut them out I don’t sleep and the adrenaline sweating because so much worse I start to have SI. I just feel stuck dont tolerate the carbs well but also can’t cut them out without severe consequences.

[4d...]