The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

hi guys,

I am a 50 years old, perimenopausal (but still regular) and in the middle of a Xanax taper.  I was wondering if folks notice around ovulation and pms/period a surge in anxiety, depression, agitation, even suicidal thinking (not going to do it).  I am suffering in this taper anyway but things seem to get exponentially worse.

Go back in this thread and read all the posts from others...yes all normal unfortunately. All the psychological symptoms are basically gone for me during that time now. I mean I may get a little weepy at a tv show, or feel a bit "low" for a day, but I no longer feel a pit of depression swallowing me or feel psychotic. I just bleed heavy and get cramping...I'm 46 so Its looking like I'm in peri as well.

These meds and the recovery from them does wreak havoc with our lady systems for sure. hugs :smitten:

I'm 5 days late, I hardly slept and my right side feels  strange like I have to tighten my muscles from my leg and abdomen, this happens to me at night and disturbers my sleep I think its tension

anyone experience something smiler?

Hi,

No, I never had brainfog. One of the few things that weren't tortured by benzos. So grateful for that!

So sorry you're having to deal with that. Hopefully it's getting better soon!

Good luck.

Trochsetter

Hi all,

Question for the group.  I had a steroid injection in my foot one week ago.  On Saturday, two days after injection, I  felt flushed and had a low grade fever for a few hours.  Since then I have had foggy head, feel jittery inside, benzo belly and heart feels like it's vibrating.  Sleep is elusive and I went back to otc unisom, 1/2 tablet which helps.  Its like constant anxiety.  I'm  keeping busy and doing what I can.

Is there possibly some issue between steroid and benzos? On the up side, I rode my bike today for the first time in over five years, since before my concussion.  I felt a little wobbly but rode about 16 blocks.  It felt good and I'm going to ride again tomorrow.

Honestly, if this anxiety doesn't let up I am considering asking my doctor for an anti-anxiety med to help.  I really don't want to take anything else but I don't know how much longer I caan stand this.  Your thoughts would be most appreciated. Hugs, G.

Hi guys, I haven't been here for a while as the computer and cellphone is killing my back, neck, arms, and I use it only for work and finances which is already too many hours a day.

I hope everyone is handling this situation wonderfully as I know we're all great warriors here. Sending my love to all of you. I always keep BBs in my prayers and the Long Holders, past present and future ones.

I was searching for cortisone injection experiences on BBs as I'm going to pain management on October 11th and they'll suggest I suppose cortisone epidural injection in lower back for my DDD which has me incapacitated to a considerable degree. I had heard of cortisone injection setbacks for those of us with damaged gaba receptors so I came to look. Then I came up with several posts in different threads, and suprisingly this post from Gingermint, hi Gingermint if you come to read this.

So anyway, any other experiences with cortisone injections for those of us whose brains are already ruined to some extent by long term use and then difficult or extra extra difficult tapers?

Wishing you all peace, calm, serenity, healing and the tools to learn to cope with everything that life throws at us, benzo and non benzo related.

Love,

VNM

VNM,

Sorry to hear you're having back problems.  The flushing and low grade fever are normal reactions to steroids.  I assumed the jittery, brain fog etc was steroid plus benzo but I have those sx now and it's been a long time since any steroid. 

I hope your injection works well for you.  Ginger

VNM,

Sorry to hear you're having back problems.  The flushing and low grade fever are normal reactions to steroids.  I assumed the jittery, brain fog etc was steroid plus benzo but I have those sx now and it's been a long time since any steroid. 

I hope your injection works well for you.  Ginger

Gingermint I'm sorry you're still having symptoms. Healing does take a long time for long term users but I'm sure you'll get there gradually  :). I'm not even sure I'll get the injection. It only covers symptoms but the issue is still there. I'll think about it. My muscle stiffness is now very very painful from the last cut. My taper is so difficult due to all the kindling. I just take it one day at a time and hold as long as I need to. I hope you're still enjoying your garden and grandchildren.

Hi LHSG-

In need of support. I have been in and out of this group many times. But never held for a considerable amount of time as I had my reservations if it would really work but I have tapered myself into a spot where I can’t continue. I wish so bad I would have slowed down long ago. As my taper continued and the lower I got it became so much harder. I became bedbound except for being able to sit up for a little while in the evening. I have POTS pretty bad and being upright is scary.

I tried to take a rescue dose and dose correct/ increase/updose the daily dose a little and they both stimulated me and sent my adrenaline/cortisol through the roof where my heart is racing all day and adrenaline is surging all day and when I try to sleep. which makes sleeping very difficult. Where as before these increases I was crashed/bedbound but calm and sleeping.

Do you think it’s possible to stabilize on 2mg V equivalent? I can not increase as it gives me the opposite effect. But wonder how this is going to calm down without much therapeutic dose at this point. 

Hi LHSG-

In need of support. I have been in and out of this group many times. But never held for a considerable amount of time as I had my reservations if it would really work but I have tapered myself into a spot where I can’t continue. I wish so bad I would have slowed down long ago. As my taper continued and the lower I got it became so much harder. I became bedbound except for being able to sit up for a little while in the evening. I have POTS pretty bad and being upright is scary.

I tried to take a rescue dose and dose correct/ increase/updose the daily dose a little and they both stimulated me and sent my adrenaline/cortisol through the roof where my heart is racing all day and adrenaline is surging all day and when I try to sleep. which makes sleeping very difficult. Where as before these increases I was crashed/bedbound but calm and sleeping.

Do you think it’s possible to stabilize on 2mg V equivalent? I can not increase as it gives me the opposite effect. But wonder how this is going to calm down without much therapeutic dose at this point.

Hi Fruitpop. I can only talk about my own personal experience. Once I went into bad glutamate damage, the only thing that ever worked was holding and then holding again. I'd rather be on a low dose valium than being non functional.

Hi LHSG-

Hi Fruitpop. I can only talk about my own personal experience. Once I went into bad glutamate damage, the only thing that ever worked was holding and then holding again. I'd rather be on a low dose valium than being non functional.

Thank you for your response. I see in your signature you held seven months. Did things really settle down for you during that time? Could I ask what resolved and how long it took to notice any difference?

Hope you are doing well today.

Hi LHSG-

Also this is where I get stuck trying to make sense of it in my head. If I have been running on adrenaline ever since I went updose 14 days in my micro taper and never had the sleep problem or adrenaline surges before that wouldn’t you think the symptoms are from more medication and the answer would be to slowly get it out (taper) Is holding just continuing the stimulation?

I understand that the reason I reacted that way to such a minuscule updose is because I was already crashed out bedbound to far in my taper. Any wisdom is helpful. I am all for holding but if the meds have turned paradoxical to me because of my sensitivite nervous system is it smart to hold and let the nervous system calm down or slow down the taper a lot and continue to move forward?

Hi LHSG-

Also this is where I get stuck trying to make sense of it in my head. If I have been running on adrenaline ever since I went updose 14 days in my micro taper and never had the sleep problem or adrenaline surges before that wouldn’t you think the symptoms are from more medication and the answer would be to slowly get it out (taper) Is holding just continuing the stimulation?

I understand that the reason I reacted that way to such a minuscule updose is because I was already crashed out bedbound to far in my taper. Any wisdom is helpful. I am all for holding but if the meds have turned paradoxical to me because of my sensitivite nervous system is it smart to hold and let the nervous system calm down or slow down the taper a lot and continue to move forward?

First I'll say that I don't know and can't be sure what's causing your setback. This being said, my experience with valium is that what one experiences today is usually the result of a cut one or two months ago. Probably your today sxs have nothing to do with your fifteen days ago updose. To avoid updoses which you see I did in the past with little success, now I hold for very very long periods, cut super slowly and focus on remaining stable. Those seven months helped but you won't notice a great improvement in one month. It takes ages to feel better. Then while tapering super slowly and holding again for seven, four, three months here and there, I healed even more from the glutamate damage that I caused during the benzo crash that ocurred when I went into acute withdrawal in the summer of 2019. My slowness and long holds are mostly due to the fear of ever going into that state again. I thought of leaving this world every single day for two months. I never want to go there again. I hope this helps you.

Checking in today to see if anyone can relate to this. It’s been 12 days since I did a 14 day increase in my micro taper and held. When I did this I became very stimulated on the higher rate and holding. Lots of adrenaline and high heart rate not sleeping. None of this was happening before I was crashed out in bed but comfortable unless I over did it physically and mentally. The past two days I am started to feel a little less adrenaline and more of being drugged, heaviness but still hot edgy irritable burning.I never imagined I would start feeling medicated again so I take this as a good sign but now not sleeping at all. Is it just a wave of my body getting used to it? When I have held in the past I have always felt worse and starting to taper again always helped to feel better. When do you decide it’s to stimulating to hold and just start my micro taper again at a much slower rate? I can see now I didn’t slow the rate towards the end and my rate was close to 14%. Once over 10% a month I was less functional so thinking of doing 5%

fruity pop

I can relate --- day 23 of an updose (pretty large one) and in MANY ways I feel worse.  that said, I am holding on to the experiences of others -- namely, valium's story.  I, too, never thought in a million years I would consider checking out of this world and yet those have been my thoughts now for too many weeks.  I am going to slow down, recognize maybe we get worse before we get better, recognize that my system is quite injured and as much as my increasingly painful symptoms make me want to rush off ----- I have to think logically that my crashed system will only get worse if I don't slow the heck down for a while and let it heal.  one thing I have unfortunately learned the hard way in this -- is just when you think it can't get possibly worse- - it can.  My benzo 'coach' listened to his family and because his detox off a smaller amount of k was so painful, he went to detox and was CT in a week --- is now polydrugged and spent THREE AND A HALF YEARS pacing 12 hours a day in agonizing akathesia.  he didn't think it could get much worse prior to the bottom dropping out and entereing hell. 

I have read through your thread and you have been through the ringer too -- Xanax, ambien, a CT, a reinstatement, two transitions to get you to L followed by a slow taper and it doesn't seem fair that there is still more suffering to be had.  I can relate -- I've been at this since 2016 when it all started by going on Xanax after being floxed by an antibiotic. 

as bad as my terror, fear, intrusive thoughts and inability to function in life -- ironically, I know it could still get worse.

I've decided to sit my butt on my bed and ride this out for at least 3-4 months --- then I can see if I need to make a different decision or continue to hold out in good faith. 

as a wise man recently told me -- the sad thing is that once you have turned into a pickle, you can't go back to being a cucumber.  while it is not our fault we have become pickles, we are pickles nonetheless.  I can't dream of going back to being a cucumber but I can dream and pray we heal enough to one day be the most delicious, desired pickle in all the land.  one that can work, love, drive, play, and feel joy and peace again.  we can do this!

300days just keep holding and taking exactly the same dose consistently every single day for a few months. I promise it will get better but it takes much longer than you would wish. I'm guessing all these sxs are probably waves from the glutamate damage done by the taper and the waves probably have nothing to do with the updose.

thanks V -- I will keep you guys posted.  I am praying in the 2025 Olympics they have  "bed surfing" as an event - I would win a gold medal for sure!

Hi guys, I want to join the 'period club' here. I have been taking Oxazepam for a long time, mostly on and off, but also longer periods. I quit almost 5 months ago. I'm 45 and noticing perimenopause symptoms. Cycles are very short, this last one was 22 days. I'm on my third day of my period. THe past months my period was the worst! But this time it seems a bit better, so it does improve. My symptoms are dizziness, brain zaps,  fatique, tension and anxiety. Also a little insomnia and a lot of GI upset. I'm taking a multivitamin, vit C, magnesium and omega 3 to help my period. Also drinking a lot of water. I hope it helps!

Trina, I feel better knowing that we are almost the same age, both perimenopausal, but your symptoms still cleared. I am hoping mine will too.

Bonty, are you feeling better now? Did you get your period?

fruity pop

I can relate --- day 23 of an updose (pretty large one) and in MANY ways I feel worse.  that said, I am holding on to the experiences of others -- namely, valium's story.  I, too, never thought in a million years I would consider checking out of this world and yet those have been my thoughts now for too many weeks.  I am going to slow down, recognize maybe we get worse before we get better, recognize that my system is quite injured and as much as my increasingly painful symptoms make me want to rush off ----- I have to think logically that my crashed system will only get worse if I don't slow the heck down for a while and let it heal.  one thing I have unfortunately learned the hard way in this -- is just when you think it can't get possibly worse- - it can.  My benzo 'coach' listened to his family and because his detox off a smaller amount of k was so painful, he went to detox and was CT in a week --- is now polydrugged and spent THREE AND A HALF YEARS pacing 12 hours a day in agonizing akathesia.  he didn't think it could get much worse prior to the bottom dropping out and entereing hell. 

I have read through your thread and you have been through the ringer too -- Xanax, ambien, a CT, a reinstatement, two transitions to get you to L followed by a slow taper and it doesn't seem fair that there is still more suffering to be had.  I can relate -- I've been at this since 2016 when it all started by going on Xanax after being floxed by an antibiotic. 

as bad as my terror, fear, intrusive thoughts and inability to function in life -- ironically, I know it could still get worse.

I've decided to sit my butt on my bed and ride this out for at least 3-4 months --- then I can see if I need to make a different decision or continue to hold out in good faith. 

as a wise man recently told me -- the sad thing is that once you have turned into a pickle, you can't go back to being a cucumber.  while it is not our fault we have become pickles, we are pickles nonetheless.  I can't dream of going back to being a cucumber but I can dream and pray we heal enough to one day be the most delicious, desired pickle in all the land.  one that can work, love, drive, play, and feel joy and peace again.  we can do this!

Hi 300-

Holding 3-4 months here as well. This is so hard. The past three nights I  have slept a little more broken sleep than the few hours I was getting but tonight back to not sleeping. I feel like I can handle anything during the day if I sleep so this is difficult. I am also having a very hard time with reactive hypoglycemia. Also one of my worst symptoms. My blood sugar drop two hours after eating and have to eat again. It's a bad roller coaster.

Can I ask where you found your benzo coach? I have thought about getting one but speaking on the phone is so overstimulating at the moment.

Hi everyone, I don't know how many people follow this group anymore and how many will read but I'll ask a question.

First I want to encourage 300 and Fruitypop. Things usually improve for those holding but it does take a few months in many cases when you've reached a bad place in your taper.

My question is: how many people do you know that were dry cutters and successfully finished a difficult taper dry cutting? Not short term users or on time users, but long term, kindled user like me. Do we know any of those that could dry cut till the end? I think Stutt and Olive Kitty did? Maybe Esperanza? I'm dry cutting because I can't handle the liquid thing, but I'm scared something can go wrong with these low doses with the dry cutting. That's why I want to know of people who could do the same successfully. Hoping everyone is getting closer to their goals.

Hi guys, I want to join the 'period club' here. I have been taking Oxazepam for a long time, mostly on and off, but also longer periods. I quit almost 5 months ago. I'm 45 and noticing perimenopause symptoms. Cycles are very short, this last one was 22 days. I'm on my third day of my period. THe past months my period was the worst! But this time it seems a bit better, so it does improve. My symptoms are dizziness, brain zaps,  fatique, tension and anxiety. Also a little insomnia and a lot of GI upset. I'm taking a multivitamin, vit C, magnesium and omega 3 to help my period. Also drinking a lot of water. I hope it helps!

Trina, I feel better knowing that we are almost the same age, both perimenopausal, but your symptoms still cleared. I am hoping mine will too.

Bonty, are you feeling better now? Did you get your period?

aww Thank you for asking, yes it did after 9 days  and it was a heavy one.

Hi everyone, I don't know how many people follow this group anymore and how many will read but I'll ask a question.

First I want to encourage 300 and Fruitypop. Things usually improve for those holding but it does take a few months in many cases when you've reached a bad place in your taper.

My question is: how many people do you know that were dry cutters and successfully finished a difficult taper dry cutting? Not short term users or on time users, but long term, kindled user like me. Do we know any of those that could dry cut till the end? I think Stutt and Olive Kitty did? Maybe Esperanza? I'm dry cutting because I can't handle the liquid thing, but I'm scared something can go wrong with these low doses with the dry cutting. That's why I want to know of people who could do the same successfully. Hoping everyone is getting closer to their goals.

Hi Valiumnomore,

I may not fall in the long term catagory but I was pollydrugged and on benzos twice so I wanted to offer my support.  My brain, going into my last benzo taper was shaky as hell. 

I dry cut the whole way down in my benzo using a nail file and scale. (My body could not handle a liquid taper)

I did not have an issue with the method nor did I focus on med distribution and the fear around that. I read some research posted by someone I trusted on the SA website about how medication is bound together in tablets.  I decided to accept that research. I was also reassured by someone on this site that as long as I was moving down incrementally, the precision issue would not be an issue.  I'm not talking big swings in measuring but tiny cuts that kept the tapering safe.

I focused on doing a combination of a micro and symptoms based taper. I made it all the way to the end using this method.  My taper was 22 months long and I made some mistakes along the way-trying compound pills, trying cut and hold until I found a rhythm.

I hope this is helpful VNM.  A dry cut taper is doable and many people I know have been successful. 

Final Healing

PMS can be the worst Bonty! Hope you are feeling better. My period ended. I did not feel too bad I guess, compared to other times. Fingers crossed for the next time!

What do you mean you can’t handle the liquid form?

Hi Valiumnomore,

I may not fall in the long term catagory but I was pollydrugged and on benzos twice so I wanted to offer my support.  My brain, going into my last benzo taper was shaky as hell. 

I dry cut the whole way down in my benzo using a nail file and scale. (My body could not handle a liquid taper)

I did not have an issue with the method nor did I focus on med distribution and the fear around that. I read some research posted by someone I trusted on the SA website about how medication is bound together in tablets.  I decided to accept that research. I was also reassured by someone on this site that as long as I was moving down incrementally, the precision issue would not be an issue.  I'm not talking big swings in measuring but tiny cuts that kept the tapering safe.

I put on doing a combination of micro and symptoms based taper. I made it all the way to the end using this method.  My taper was 22 months long and I made some mistakes along the way-trying compound pills, trying cut and hold until I found a rhythm.

I hope this is helpful VNM.  A dry cut taper is doable and many people I know have been successful. 

Final Healing

This is such a helpful answer that I couldn't have hoped for a better post in my wildest dreams. Thank you SO MUCH Final H. I'm busy now with classes but I'll sure come back to ask you for some more info on this and reassurance. I feel so much better. My goal is cutting about 0.10 mgs valium every three to four weeks, so no big deal. My issue is mostly on how the med is distributed in the tablet but I don't want to do the liquid if I can do it this way, I just need to be sure this can work. Again, thank you kindly.

Hi Valiumnomore,

I focused doing a combination of a micro and symptoms based taper. I made it all the way to the end using this method.  My taper was 22 months long and I made some mistakes along the way-trying compound pills, trying cut and hold until I found a rhythm.

Final Healing

This is such a helpful answer that I couldn't have hoped for a better post in my wildest dreams. Thank you SO MUCH Final H. I'm busy now with classes but I'll sure come back to ask you for some more info on this and reassurance. I feel so much better. My goal is cutting about 0.10 mgs valium every three to four weeks, so no big deal. My issue is mostly on how the med is distributed in the tablet but I don't want to do the liquid if I can do it this way, I just need to be sure this can work. Again, thank you kindly.

My pleasure VNM and if miss a response on the thread, feel free to PM me.

Hello All,

I successfully tapered all the way down dry cutting.  The taper took 16 months and I am now alprazolam free for three weeks.

This can be done…

[c7...]