The bend bulletin- "benzodiazipines treat anxiety, cause long-term problems"

[ge...]

This is a very well written article and one of the few that actually come close to telling the real story. Hope to see more of these in the future.

Nice post. Thanks for sharing it. But its nothing new and until someone does some serious scientific research, physicians aren't going to believe it. Pretty much all they hear is what the drug company reps tell them. They honestly dont have much extra time to check  into many things other than their own speciality. But why more psychiatrists dont know about this, I will never know. In my state, most medical docs no longer prescribe benzos. Florida had so many "pill mills," and most were shut down. And regular doctors do not want to be associated with anything that could get their license suspended. And yet, prescriptions for benzos continue to be written.

It was a very good article but unlikely to change things much unfortunately.  Benzo dangers have been touted since the 70's and nothing has changed.  In fact, because more sophisticated imaging techniques are showing that there is in fact no damage done to the brain, many doctors are feeling more confident in prescribing them.  A very bad move indeed. 

This is vastly informative. Thank you for the post. It breaks my heart that we are all suffering so much. My friend of 22 yrs. sent me an email Fri. encouraging me to find a "little job" in which I could work with my akathisia. I saw her a week before and told her how much pain I was in. I could hardly sit as I have to move constantly. I could go on but I wouldn't  Unbelievable.

I'm not so sure. Now we have internet and forums like benzobuddies and information about this is now reaching out to a much greater extent than previously. It always takes some time before legislative changes are being conducted. But I think it will happen. There will be stricter rules for use beyond 3-4 weeks. In a few years no ordinary doctor can continue to write prescriptions for long periods of time unless there are special reasons for it. The system as it is today goes against all common sense and the general understanding of what should be the law in this case. Therefore I'm sure there will be changes.

Thanks FG. It might not make any significant changes, or it might get the ball rolling. I have been writing to the editors of the Boston Globe, NYT, etc. and health reporters linking them to the article and suggesting they follow suit.

Perhaps we can all reach out to local and national papers and link them to this article. At least plant the seed in their head that opiates aren't the only problem drug.

Good idea! And people must continue to post their symptoms at this forum!

I agree, thanks HG  :)

Thank you Markian,

Very well written.  We pray it will help others get off these drugs, as well as never take them. 

Good article scotth,  We need more like them in circulation. I was one member who took pitman's survey. Glad it was mentioned along with benzobuddies. There is a lot of silent people walking around in quiet desperation at a loss of what is happening to them. Thank you for posting it,  Jude

This is a very good article! I'm always optimistic when I see these sorts of articles appear in newspapers. Even if doctors don't "get it," maybe a number of benzo users or their families or friends who don't realize the true nature of these drugs will be enlightened in some way by reading the article. Word has to get out somehow!

I might have a bite at the Boston globe! Not exactly holding my breathe but she said "thank you for bringing this my attention, and this is something we should cover." She is  bringing it to the editors...

please send it to your local papers if you feel able!

[d2...]

I might have a bite at the Boston globe! Not exactly holding my breathe but she said "thank you for bringing this my attention, and this is something we should cover." She is  bringing it to the editors...

please send it to your local papers if you feel able!

I know I'm a complete moron, but what type of editor do you contact with this type of info? There's ten billion people working at the paper where I live!

And congrats, gettinghere. That would be amazing to see it in the Boston Globe!