Math help Please

[78...]

[78...]

Hi everyone,

Im currently using a compounded solution from Dr Armstrong I started at 34 mgs of Valium

Im told that there is 8 1/2 mg's in 1ml... Ok i get that so i started at 2.00 mls 2xs per day to get my 34 mg's

Week 2 went to - 1.95mls 2xs per day

Week  3  I'm at 1.90 mls 2 x's per day

How do I figure out what dose Im currently at??  ( Im really bad at math )

Im also told that Im going at 2.5 % weekly

Any help explaining this would be great, I have Emailed him but Im sure he's busy with lots of other people

Thanks bren

i think you're at 32.3 mgs. if i did the math right. i set up a proportion. 8.5 mgs. is to 1 ml. as X mgs. is to 3.8 mls. you multiply 8.5 by 3.8 and divide by 1. maybe someone can double check.....

Or you can just keep it very simple and multiply your current milliliters times 8.5.

So 8.5 x 1.9 = 16.15 x 2 (dosing twice a day) = 32.3.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the equivalent Valium, but just keep reducing the total milliliters every defined cut period. As long as you reduce the milliliters by a safe percentage, say, 10% or less each time, you will eventually get to zero.

Your important number is 1.9. Before long you'll see 1.8, 1.7, 1.6.......all the way down to .1 or wherever you decide to stop.

Good luck to you!

Flip

Hi, I am also taking compounded Valium. But I am dosing 3 times a day at 6mg/ml.

I am now at 13.5mg. I plan at when I get to 9.9 mg to have the compound V changed to 3mg/ml. On the 1 ml syringe there are 20 large marks starting at .05. ,1,.15,.2 all the way up to 1ml. Theses marks are easier to see and line up than the smaller marks between the large marks. So right now each of the large marks in my case is .3mg.

The math would be 1ml divided by 20 = .05ml.I take .05 and multiply by 6mg. which gives me .3mg per .05ml. So every cut I make has been .9mg. Since I dose 3 times a day. Every 8 hours. I think this helps with managing the sxs.

When I get down to 9.9mg I will change to 3mg/ml so now each large division is

.05 multiplied by 3 =.15mg. Since I dose 3 times per day I will now be dropping .45mg per total cut. So .45/9.9 gives me a 4.5% cut from my previous dose. I have so far in my taper never exceeded a drop more than 7% from my previous dose.

If you follow the Ashton schedule you would eventually get over 10% drops from your previous dosage. I told the Dr I wanted to start at around 3% cut. But the Dr maintained the same amount per cut which was .9mg and a hold for 10 days before my next cut.

You may want to ask to have the mg/ml ratio changed as you get lower in dosage.

Some BB members start having difficulty as they lower their dosage. So having the solution ratio changed will make it easier for you to make smaller cuts if necessary.

That is the benefit of compounded Valium solutions. The pharmacist can change the dilution to accommodate your tapering needs.

Rob

Brennan, to clarify things more. Don't look at the per cent you are dropping each week but look at the amount in mg you are dropping each week.

Your solution is 8.5mg/ml. You started at 2ml  two times a day so 2 times 8.5 is 17 mg. So you take 2 doses per day So 2 X17 =34mg/day

Next you dropped from 2ml to 1.95ml 2-1.95 =.05ml. Take .05 ml X 8.5mg=.425mg. You take 2 doses a day. So 2 X .425mg =.85mg. So in week 2 you went from 34mg to 34-.85=33.15. Week 3 you went from 1.95 to 1.90 again a drop of .05ml or .425 mg Again 2 doses is 2 X .425 = .85mg. So week 3 you went from 33.15 to 33.15 -.85 =32.3mg. So each week you drop .85mg off the previous week. So it will go week 4 will be 32.3 - .85=31.5  week 5 will be 31.5-.85 =30.645. This will be the case with your Taper if you keep your compounded V at 8.5mg per ml. Eventually as you keep cutting the same amount .85mg per week. You cut from the previous week cut will be over 10%. Your only cut that was 2.5% of the previous week was your first cut from 34mg. If you were to maintain a 2.5% cut from the previous week your Taper would take a very very long time.

So if you start getting symptoms reduce the amount in mg that you cut each week.

I am starting to get some symptoms. That is why I will reduce my cut amount from .9mg to .45mg. I plan on holding at .45mg for 5 days then cutting another .45mg for another 5 days. It will still be .9mg over 10 days. But the initial shock of the cut will be less. Or I may just ask to make a .45 mg cut and hold for 10 days.

It all depends on my symptoms if they are intolerable I may ask for .45mg cut over 10 days

I hope I explained things Ok. But I am sure you may have to change your compound ratio from 8.5mg per ml to a lower amount. Just so your taper is manageable and comfortable.

Rob

[78...]

Thank you All for your math skills..... I was wondering about that 2.5% a week

That % gets higher & higher with each drop ... So guess I'll just feel this out

And see how I feel each time when or If I start having symtoms I'll have to

Eventually slow it down.

All these decimals are so foreign to me thanks again for tge help & good luck to us all :)

[78...]

I also dont think from what I remember - asking the Pharmacist about the strength

He said he keeps it at the same mg per ml its easier for them

So Im guessing if any probs  Id slow the cut down because if he doesnt change the strength then

I gotta speak up and lower the cut if need be

Brennan, They will change the ratio mg/ml if you ask them to.

I asked because now I am at a lower dosage than when I started at 30mg of V

Now I am down to 13.5mg. When I get down to around 10mg actually 9.9mg. I will have a ratio of 3mg/ml. I am currently at 6mg/ml. So at 6mg/ml each cut is .9mg. I dose 3 times a day every 8 hours but at 3mg/ml each cut will be .45mg. As long as you are doing good keep going at your current rate but as soon as you are having problems let them know because they will change your cut amount. If you are one of the fortunate ones you will be able to keep at the rate you are at all the way to the end of your taper.

Rob

[78...]
Forgot to mention I was also told 10 months to be off - just wondering is this the time frame he uses for all of us... Seems Odd

[78...]

Or you can just keep it very simple and multiply your current milliliters times 8.5.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the equivalent Valium, but just keep reducing the total milliliters every defined cut period. As long as you reduce the milliliters by a safe percentage, say, 10% or less each time, you will eventually get to zero.

Your important number is 1.9. Before long you'll see 1.8, 1.7, 1.6.......all the way down to .1 or wherever you decide to stop.

Good luck to you!

Flip

( thanks)

[78...]

i think you're at 32.3 mgs. if i did the math right. i set up a proportion. 8.5 mgs. is to 1 ml. as X mgs. is to 3.8 mls. you multiply 8.5 by 3.8 and divide by 1. maybe someone can double check.....

(thank you)

[78...]

Good luck to you!

Flip

( thanks)

This is a Huge help!!  Can't believe how I can't figure out something so simple

It looks easy when someone writes it out  lol

[78...]

So if my Math is correct and I started at 34 mgs on May 9th my first drop was to 1.95 = 33.15

Then next  drop was on may 23rd - 1.90 = 32.30

My nxt drop would be Friday at 1.85 = 31.45

Ok so this a drop of 2.55 mgs of Valium in just 22 days :(

If theres .85 or 8 1/2 mg in each ml this is almost a - 1 mg drop per 7 days ????

Wayyyy to fast Im feeling it

Any input ideas ???  Anyone?

Brennan, you are dropping .85mg per week. You started at 34mg.

So take 34/.85 this gives you 40 weeks. This is 10 months. Now you may not be able to keep up the same rate of tapering. You may have to reduce your cut amounts. This all depends on how you are feeling. I posted a question about using compounded Valium. You may want to check it out.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=99149.0

Rob

[78...]

Brennan, you are dropping .85mg per week. You started at 34mg.

So take 34/.85 this gives you 40 weeks. This is 10 months. Now you may not be able to keep up the same rate of tapering. You may have to reduce your cut amounts. This all depends on how you are feeling. I posted a question about using compounded Valium. You may want to check it out.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=99149.0

Rob

Thanks Rob Interesting info - Im still trying to figure out how to stay at the 10% as I said Math is not my Forte

I'll just have to come back and read and re- read

The compounding pharmacy would have to change the mg/ml ratio.

If you are at 8.5mg/ml each drop now is .425mg. 2 times a day dose and your drop is.85mg. Then you hold until your next cut which again will be .85mg. If they change the mg/ml ratio to like 6.5mg/ml each drop would be .325mg Two times a day would then be .65mg. So after your hold now your cut amount would be.65mg.

The pharmacist would just write on the bottle what Your dose would be for what hold time is. They will do the math and dosage instructions for you.

As Colin has written in his posts most people above 20 mg can make larger cuts.

Ashton herself had had 2mg cuts until 20mg was reached I think, and then this would be reduced to 1mg. But If you have already become sensitive to the .85mg cut you are making now. Ask the Dr to have the pharmacy change the mg/ml ratio.

Then you can make smaller cuts.

Rob

[78...]

Could this possibly be too fast? Why am I already having problems only at my 2nd cut reduction

Im sick to my stomach - getting that old feeling of wanting to be housebound - weird dreams - ears are ringing, how could this be??

What should I do?  Ive decided not to go to 1.85 Yesterday ( cant do this every 7 days )

And a friend has told me she thinks that the 8 1/2 mg in my 1 ml is way to much

Only bc she knows Ive been trying to get off this for awhile now

I guess im just highly sensitive to cuts & I suck at Math

Im doomed :/

Brennan. It is hard to tell. without any background information. Like how long have you been on Valium? Have you ever tried tapering from it before? How did you arrive at the starting dose of 34mg?If you have tried tapering before and failed and have reinstated it may be difficult to make a cut of the amount you are trying to cut.

When you started taking the compounded V at 34 mg. Did you have symptoms then already or were you symptom free ?. IF you were feeling really good and had no symptoms then I would expect you should be able to cut. It could be you are sensitive to cuts and should have stayed at 34mg longer before you cut and then started with a lower cut amount. No one knows how much they should cut when they begin  a Taper. You could hold but if you don't get better then you may have to updose. When you reach the amount of V that you feel good at then you could try tapering again but at a slower rate. You can keep the hold and if the symptoms don't improve you can either updose or live with the symptoms you have now and taper at a slower rate but you may have symptoms through your whole taper.

This is what you need to discuss with your Dr. He may have seen patients similar to you and would give you his advice. We are all different here on BB. I have been cutting at a rate of 9% a month. I was able to do it for 5 months then I got slammed with symptoms. I will try to updose and get better but then I will change the amount I cut and how long I will hold between cuts.

Hope you find a Taper plan that works for you. some how we make it but if your plan is not working you will need to change it.

Rob

[78...]

Been on some sort of Benzo for many yrs maybe 15 started on x went K c/o to V in 09

Yes Ive tried dry cutting at 30 mgs decided it was to hard ( quit ) eventually went to 32.5 mgs

Tried to milk dose 2xs - I was symptom free at 34 mgs but only stayed there for 2 weeks before making that 1st cut to 1.95 was fine

It was the 2nd cut at 1.90 that is slamming me

I understand some people can coast right through a taper and some cant, maybe I should have started at a smaller cut or hold ( idk ) its just frustrating & hopefully after I talk w the Dr we can figure out a different plan

Just venting sorry

I am sure a different Taper plan is what you need. It is best to start out a Taper with minimal symptoms if possible. If the right dosing , cut amounts, and hold times are adequate you should be able to taper. But during the course of the Taper adjustments may be necessary

Rob

[78...]

I am sure a different Taper plan is what you need. It is best to start out a Taper with minimal symptoms if possible. If the right dosing , cut amounts, and hold times are adequate you should be able to taper. But during the course of the Taper adjustments may be necessary

Rob

thats the plan - Well hope your feeling better and have a great weekend Im gonna take a break from the internet & try to enjoy the nice weather

Talk to you soon :)

You may have to do an adjustment in your dose. you may have to updose if the hold is not working. If the updose does work then you would be able to resume the Taper but your taper plan would have to be adjusted to avoid getting the same results again. 

Rob

[78...]

Talked with the Dr he thinks I should go up a little & highly recommends Taurine & Gludathione

Being ( POR ) supplements are to expensive for me he gave me another website to get some Whey Protein, looked around in this forum & read many pro's and con's about Supplements while tapering

But I'm gonna give it a shot

So just started on some Taurine &  Whey protein ( small amount )

He also said that initial 2.5% isn't going to make much of a difference

So I'll press forward and hope that this will all work out 

He told me the same thing, I take the Taurine and feel it does have a little effect but it does help. I am still waiting for Dr A to call me. I did updose from 13.5mg V to 15.3mg and I am feeling better. I need to cut down on the amount I am tapering. I am tapering at a rate now of almost 19% a month cutting. Or about 6.25% every 10 days reduction. I need to get down closer to 3% every 10 days, What web site did he give for the whey protein?.

What if you updose a little and extend your hold time from 1 week to 10 days or 2 weeks. This may help also. It will give you more time to adjust between cuts.

Rob

Rob