Two Counties in California are suing Big Pharma

[Ko...]

Front page LA Times 5/22: "2 Counties say firms fueling drug epidemic"

They are suing 5 manufactures of opiates, accusing the companies of causing the nation's prescription drug epidemic by waging a campaign of deception aimed at boosting sales of potent painkillers. They say the companies violated California laws against false advertising, unfair business practices and creating a public nuisance.  They are trying to use some of the strategies used against the tobacco industry.  They claim that big pharma have been manipulating doctors into believing the drugs were safe, etc.

I'm glad some body is doing something.  I'm going to see if they can include Benzos too.  You can find the entire article at LATIMES.COM

Here's the article: http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-rx-big-pharma-suit-20140522-story.html#page=1

This is really frightening: "One such tactic involved the use of leading physicians — known within the companies as "key opinion leaders" — to spread the message to their peers, it says. The drug makers allegedly recruited and paid those physicians to give speeches and write policy papers."

Terry38

Thanks for finding the internet site.  I think this May be the beginning of finally bringing down big Pharma. I wish they had included Benzos  & antidepressants too.

Here's the article: http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-rx-big-pharma-suit-20140522-story.html#page=1

This is really frightening: "One such tactic involved the use of leading physicians — known within the companies as "key opinion leaders" — to spread the message to their peers, it says. The drug makers allegedly recruited and paid those physicians to give speeches and write policy papers."

wow, just wow. >:(:o

Thanks Korbe in giving the heads up to all, and thanks Terry for providing the link.  I'm going to write a letter to Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas, and advise him of the nightmare benzodiazepine nightmare also.  Maybe the ball will get rolling to address both class of drugs.

Thanks again, Pattylu

[fc...]

Hey, BB's. Here's an interesting I found while looking for information on benzo lawsuits:

I'm in the US and it seems like we're so far behind the UK in legislation. The article brings up an interesting point: the reason there aren't more lawsuits is that doctors don't want to take people off these drugs. It's not being on them that's the problem (of course, there is tolerance withdrawal, but most doctors couldn't recognize t/w if it threw up on their shoes).

So docs are afraid to take us off because they already know how dangerous it is.  Grrrr. . . . .

Front page LA Times 5/22: "2 Counties say firms fueling drug epidemic"

They are suing 5 manufactures of opiates, accusing the companies of causing the nation's prescription drug epidemic by waging a campaign of deception aimed at boosting sales of potent painkillers. They say the companies violated California laws against false advertising, unfair business practices and creating a public nuisance.  They are trying to use some of the strategies used against the tobacco industry.  They claim that big pharma have been manipulating doctors into believing the drugs were safe, etc.

I'm glad some body is doing something.  I'm going to see if they can include Benzos too.  You can find the entire article at LATIMES.COM

Benzo suits have been filed and folks paid off..but yes, it is time for each of us to start blowing whistles on the benzo epidemic..NL

Thanks Korbe in giving the heads up to all, and thanks Terry for providing the link.  I'm going to write a letter to Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas, and advise him of the nightmare benzodiazepine nightmare also.  Maybe the ball will get rolling to address both class of drugs.

Thanks again, Pattylu

:thumbsup: