What Is The Syringe Of Preference

[be...]

what is the syringe of preference for doing a liquid taper? the plastic kind or the one with the skinny metal needle that diabetics use? any specific model type names would be greatly appreciated.....thanks.

I use the plastic 20 ml sryinges without needles. They are model BD 20ml Luer-Lok Tips. Got them from amazon. I also have a couple of 1 ml syringes that I got for dosing my cat's medication. They were still unused so I figured what the heck. Don't really know their make and model. So far the syringes have worked out fine. Oh, you might ask your pharmacist if he/she carries them. I originally got a couple from my pharmacist, but the numbers wore off and I ordered my own.

Hope this helps,

Okatz

• 2 weeks later...
All major manufacturers of clinical syringes have been reliable for me in my professional use. Baxter, BD, etc. The key is to identify the most appropriate size syringe for the volumes you are trying to measure. The 0.5 cc insulin syringes are best for measuring small volumes, unless one is willing to cough up the cash to buy a micropipettor.

Just basic oral syringes are all you need.  Most pharmacies will be glad to give you several 1 and 10 mg syringes for free.

You don't need a needle, or even the luer-lock type...just a basic oral syringe.

thanks builder,laser and green for your responses. my drugstore gave me some B-D's, 3ml. and 1ml. the 3ml.'s have the luer lock. not sure what that's for but i guess it really doesn't matter.

Luer lock is for a luer connection. If your drug bottle has a luer connector (probably doesn't), then you would screw the syringe on for a secure leakproof connection.

The only reason I bought the Luer Lock syringe from amazon is that was the freebie they gave me at the pharmacy and it worked well. So I mindlessly ordered the same thing. Interesting to know about the luer lock function laserjet.

Yeah, probably any syringe works as well as the next. As long as you use it (and its replacements) consistently. A lot of people worry about one syringe type allowing more air bubbles than another . . . but if you use the same one, at least the miniscule error will be more or less the same.

Okatz

The only reason I bought the Luer Lock syringe from amazon is that was the freebie they gave me at the pharmacy and it worked well. So I mindlessly ordered the same thing. Interesting to know about the luer lock function laserjet.

Yeah, probably any syringe works as well as the next. As long as you use it (and its replacements) consistently. A lot of people worry about one syringe type allowing more air bubbles than another . . . but if you use the same one, at least the miniscule error will be more or less the same.

Okatz

With good technique, no clinical syringe should have air bubbles after loading, therefore all types of syringes should be identical/consistent. Its the technique used, that needs to be consistent.  :)