Nitrous Oxide Sedation for Tooth Extraction?

[Ph...]

Hi gang,

I have a severely decayed molar and it's causing me a great deal of pain. But, stepping foot into the dentist's office renders me into a panic stricken wreck, and while I can sweat out the panic of getting fillings and cleanings, I can't mentally handle being awake while they pull a molar.

I freak out, bad, and I don't know what to do. They get upset when I get up and run away.

I was wondering how Nitrous Oxide would affect my central nervous system during withdrawal.

My withdrawal syndrome can be severe at times and I'm sensitive to everything---even some kinds of OTC pain meds like Advil.

I was  offered Nitrous Oxide sedation through one dentist.

How would Nitrous Oxide affect my CNS??

Or, is it possible that thee is some kind of new laser dentisty to extract the tooth with minimal invasiveness (in which case I'd allow them to do it while I'm awake).

Thanks gang... :(

Leeandy Nova

I don't know the answer to any of your questions; seems like they are things you could ask your dentist.  I had nitrous oxide one for a root canal and while I was awake the whole time, I didn't care.  There's a reason it's called "laughing gas".  :laugh:

Heh, I would understand the comedy in that.

I tried looking up extractions in the field of laser dentistry and can't find much info on it at all.... laser surgery for everything BUT extractions, it seems.

Wikipedia describes Nitrous Oxide as "Nitrous oxide (N2O) is a dissociative drug that can cause analgesia, depersonalization, derealization, dizziness, euphoria, and some sound distortion . [10]"

I'd rather live with a decayed tooth.

Wikipedia describes Nitrous Oxide as "Nitrous oxide (N2O) is a dissociative drug that can cause analgesia, depersonalization, derealization, dizziness, euphoria, and some sound distortion . [10]"

I'd rather live with a decayed tooth.

Well, it can only cause it while you are taking it, as far as I know.  When I had a tooth get to the point where I needed a root canal - way harder than an extraction, btw - there wasn't a choice about having it removed or being sedated.  Hope you find a way to get the dental care you need.

[19...]
Novicane generally contains epinephrine to help reduce bleeding, but it is, as Linda says, a stimulant and will jack you something fierce in withdrawal. However, they make a non-epi version that works great!