was switched from ativan to xanax

[ha...]

Hi Hazy .... just wanted to say hello and to let you know that i am in a similar situation as yourself.  10 years on xanax .... then 8 years on valium ... nearly 3 weeks ago i changed back to xanax.  I have had a few hiccups (overly sedated at first since valium was a longer acting benzo), but am i not experiencing anything too difficult.  I read that you mention Effexor???  Have you been taking that for a while or only recently since you changed to xanax?  I'm no expert - but if you started it only recently it could also be an explanation for your increased anxiety?  Just a thought?  Otherwise - as others have mentioned, speak with your doctor and also make sure you stick to the same dose at the same time each day.  Let us know how you go ... take care.

Shine

:-*

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [sw...]

• [ha...]

• [Th...]

• [Be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

what a night i sweated all night still sweating this mornign and im having burning in my chest,been checked out by cardiolgist,,,maybe i am withdrawing from the ativan dont know what to do take more xanax or go back to ativan

Hazy - One of my worst symptoms early on was full body sweating throughout the day. It went on for months. I didn't get the burning symptom but lots do. It's a common withdrawal symptom but it isn't dangerous, just uncomfortable.  In order to get off the xanax, you will probably get strange feelings  from time to time.  I know you haven't started tapering yet, but maybe your body is still reacting to the switch to xanax.  You see your doctor today, right?  What did he/she have to say about it?

Hey hazyworld,

Just wanted to give you a belated welcome to BenzoBuddies. I just read thru your thread and I believe what you are experiencing is your switching from ativan to xanax. The ativan is probably not all the way out of your body and you have to adjust to the xanax. The decision to stay on the xanax or go back to the ativan is up to you and your doctor. Whichever one you end up on, you really need to stabilize on it for 7-14 days; till you feel a little more normalish! And do stay on a set amount and take it at set times each day. This will REALLY help ALOT!! When you are ready to start tapering, we can help you with a plan. Just try to remember to stay as calm as you can and know that what you are going thru is your bodies reaction to the benzos. The less stress, the better. Our thoughts are very powerful and to remain postive and calm is so helpful with whatever symptoms you might face. Let us know how your doctor appointment went and what you plan on doing. If you have any other questions or concerns, just ask. Looking forward to cheering you on in your journey to be benzo free!

Lori :smitten:

I second everything Lori Lee says.  Esp. the setting a daily dosage amount and time and stick to it for 7 - 14 days until you feel better.  No need to start tapering until you are stablized.  I had to do this and it did help me alot.  then start a sensible taper and you will be on your way to freedom

My dr.has never cslled  me back im still plugging along on the xanax and still feeling wierd,im worried about just stopping the ativan and going on the xanax with no taper,I was also on Risperdal since sept 08 and i tapered it like 2 days and stopped wonder if that matters,the pharmacy some say taper it others  dont i dodnt knoww,i couldnt take the effexoer,,,pharmaist mentioned i should ask about buspar and i know i need a antidepressant,,,im at a loss kinda

My dr.has never cslled  me back im still plugging along on the xanax and still feeling wierd,im worried about just stopping the ativan and going on the xanax with no taper,I was also on Risperdal since sept 08 and i tapered it like 2 days and stopped wonder if that matters,the pharmacy some say taper it others  dont i dodnt knoww,i couldnt take the effexoer,,,pharmaist mentioned i should ask about buspar and i know i need a antidepressant,,,im at a loss kinda

Hey hazyworld,

I know it can be hard/frustrating not being able to get in touch with a doctor. With the weekend here, you may just have to ride this out. I know it's not what you want to hear or do, but you can make it. I would recommend that you keep taking the xanax as the doctor prescribed. It is up to you to stop taking the effexor. Hopefully, the doctor will call you back. When I am not feeling good, I just try to remain calm, positive, do things that will relax me, take a walk, keep my blood sugar level up, get on here and post to other people; anything to get my mind off the way I am feeling. Hang in there, you can do this!

Cant do the effexoer,does anyone know if i should have tapered off the risperdal longer,seems like my mind is going,,,dr callled me in buspar and told me to take it instead of xnax i know better than to stop xnax after being on benzos 18 years,,so she said i couod take botht the buspar and the xanax,i dont know she wont give me new antidepressant now,im still feeling wierd from the ativan xanax switch and still wonder if there should of been a taper off the ativan as i went on the xanax..i make it about 5 hours on a 0.5 mg of xnax but have only been taking 1 1/2 to 2 mg instead of 3 mgs as dr said

Cant do the effexoer,does anyone know if i should have tapered off the risperdal longer,seems like my mind is going,,,dr callled me in buspar and told me to take it instead of xnax i know better than to stop xnax after being on benzos 18 years,,so she said i couod take botht the buspar and the xanax,i dont know she wont give me new antidepressant now,im still feeling wierd from the ativan xanax switch and still wonder if there should of been a taper off the ativan as i went on the xanax..i make it about 5 hours on a 0.5 mg of xnax but have only been taking 1 1/2 to 2 mg instead of 3 mgs as dr said

Hi hazy,

How long did your doctor have you taper the risperdal? If I was you, I would google "risperdal withdrawal" and see if you can find out how long you should have tapered the risperdal. Since ativan and xanax are both benzos, you would not taper the ativan while taking the xanax at the same time.

T2 :smitten:

Hey hazy,

I'm glad to hear that your doctor called you back! Hope you start evening out from your cross-over. Theresa had some good advice. Hope the Buspar helps!

I got the buspar but am afraid to start taking it they say u can take it with xnax and the risperdal i was thinking about going back on it for my racing thoughts but i have minimal subtle septal ischemia of the heart(im not even sure ehat that is) but i read online if you have ischemia you shouldnt take risperdal wow and i have been on it this time since sept 08till las week when i stopped it..but im so afraid and i feel like im losing it and with it being the weekend and my dr is in another town i dont know what to do

I got the buspar but am afraid to start taking it they say u can take it with xnax and the risperdal i was thinking about going back on it for my racing thoughts but i have minimal subtle septal ischemia of the heart(im not even sure ehat that is) but i read online if you have ischemia you shouldnt take risperdal wow and i have been on it this time since sept 08till las week when i stopped it..but im so afraid and i feel like im losing it and with it being the weekend and my dr is in another town i dont know what to do

Hi hazy,

How much Xanax are you taking now and how often? Are you taking the same amount every day and at the same time every day? Xanax doesn't last as long as the Ativan does so you may have to take it more often that the Ativan. What kind of symptoms are you having? Why did the dr. give you the Buspar?

Im on 0.5 mg xanax 3 or 4 times  aday,pretty much witha  space of 5 hours between i dont exactly take it at the same time eacch day because i get up different times each day so it goes from when ever i take the 1st one about 5 hours later for the other ones,my pharmissit told me to mention to the dr about buspar so i did and she called it in,she told me to stop the xnax and go on the buspar when i told her i wouod not stop cold turkey off the xnax(they just switched me from xnax to ativan 1 week ago)so then she said to take them both but try to taper off the xanax,my pharmist just thought it might be a good change for me to take buspar and the xanax only when im really freaking,,,,since being on the xanax i seem more depressed so im at a loss

Im on 0.5 mg xanax 3 or 4 times  aday,pretty much witha  space of 5 hours between i dont exactly take it at the same time eacch day because i get up different times each day so it goes from when ever i take the 1st one about 5 hours later for the other ones,my pharmissit told me to mention to the dr about buspar so i did and she called it in,she told me to stop the xnax and go on the buspar when i told her i wouod not stop cold turkey off the xnax(they just switched me from xnax to ativan 1 week ago)so then she said to take them both but try to taper off the xanax,my pharmist just thought it might be a good change for me to take buspar and the xanax only when im really freaking,,,,since being on the xanax i seem more depressed so im at a loss

Hi hazy,

I have heard it takes time for Buspar to build up in the system. You might want to do a search of Buspar in the upper right hand corner and see if anyone else has taken it to help them. What kind of symptoms are you still having since crossing over from the Ativan to the Xanax? Have you stabilized at all? It would be best to see if you can stabilize and then start a taper off the Xanax and see if you start feeling any better. Did you read The Ashton Manual yet? I believe she mentions Buspar in there.

i think my problem is stopping the risperdal im so having a hardt ime concentrating and im full of fear,but the risperdal is not good for the heart problem which i have which is nothing serious i guess..but risperdal is bad for the heart from what i have read,,im trying to hold my head together as i feel as im losing it..my heart condition is called minimal subtle septal ischemia..i am under no treatment for it,the heart dr says my heart condiotin is not that bad its my emotional state and now coming off risperdal and being switched to xanax from ativan now them wanting me to go on buspar im scared and im afraid im going to end ina hospital,,,i dont know where to turn having such a time concenttrating

i think my problem is stopping the risperdal im so having a hardt ime concentrating and im full of fear,but the risperdal is not good for the heart problem which i have which is nothing serious i guess..but risperdal is bad for the heart from what i have read,,im trying to hold my head together as i feel as im losing it..my heart condition is called minimal subtle septal ischemia..i am under no treatment for it,the heart dr says my heart condiotin is not that bad its my emotional state and now coming off risperdal and being switched to xanax from ativan now them wanting me to go on buspar im scared and im afraid im going to end ina hospital,,,i dont know where to turn having such a time concenttrating

Hi hazy,

I'm not familar with risperdal. Does your doctor want you to get off of that? What kind of symptoms are you experiencing? You still may need to stabilize on the Xanax.

Yes my dr had me stop the risperal a week ago today,,,,i hear you dont have to taper it i was only on 1/2 mg since sept 08 but im sure having alot of fear and i wasnt really having that and i still feel very drugged and week legs,,,dont know if i dare add the buspar,,,if you find any info please pass it on to me thanks

Yes my dr had me stop the risperal a week ago today,,,,i hear you dont have to taper it i was only on 1/2 mg since sept 08 but im sure having alot of fear and i wasnt really having that and i still feel very drugged and week legs,,,dont know if i dare add the buspar,,,if you find any info please pass it on to me thanks

Hi hazy,

There does seem to be some w/d effects from stopping the risperal. Here's what I found.. http://schizophrenia.emedtv.com/risperdal/risperdal-withdrawal.html  Did you do the search here for Buspar?

But im not bipoloar or the other thing i was on it for racing thoughts,i will try to searhc for buspar..i feel like im having a heartattack and cant concentrate and full of fear and can reach no dr or counsler or pharmaissit

But im not bipoloar or the other thing i was on it for racing thoughts,i will try to searhc for buspar..i feel like im having a heartattack and cant concentrate and full of fear and can reach no dr or counsler or pharmaissit

Hi hazy,

I'm sure that you are not bipolar. You are probably experiencing these symptoms from coming off the risperdal and/or switching from the ativan to xanax. You need to try to calm yourself by taking a walk or distracting yourself somehow. You are feeding your anxiety by being so anxious about what are probably w/d symptoms. You will be all right. Do some slow breathing exercises. Stay away from any caffeine products. Chamomile tea has natural calming properties, but if you are allergic to ragweed you may not want to try that. Have you read The Ashton Manual yet? Here is a slow breathing exercise....

Slow Breathing Techniique

The jerkier the breath, the more disruptive it is to the autonomic nervous system. When the breath is smooth and even, autonomic balance is achieved.

- If possible, stop what you are doing and sit down or lean against something.

- Hold your breath and count to 10 (don't take a deep breath)

- When you get to 10, breathe out and say the word "relax" to yourself in a calm, soothing manner. Remember to breathe through your nose.

- Breathe in and out slowly in a six-second cycle. Breathe in for three seconds and out for three seconds. This will produce a breathing rate of

10 breaths per minute. Say the word "relax" to yourself every time you breathe out.

- At the end of each minute (after 10 breaths), hold your breath again for 10 seconds and then continue breathing in the six-second cycle.

- Continue breathing in this way until all the symptoms of over-breathing have gone.

If you do these things as soon as you notice the first signs of over-breathing, the symptoms will subside within a minute or two and you will not experience any panic attacks. The more you practice this slow-breathing technique, the better you will become at using it to stop any panic attacks.

Hey hazy,

Just wondering how you were doing today? I find that walking is REALLY good when my anxiety level gets high. While walking, I don't think about things that make me anxious; just smell the roses kind of thing. I am sure your body is trying to adjust to the switch still and the Ashton Manual lists all the different withdrawal symptoms from benzos. Hope today is a better day for you.

i took the busparnight before last and one at 9 am yestrday mornign and all day i flet i was allergic to it and felt a bit of tightness in my chesta nd racing heart i called my dr and she talkef to me and said di sounded fine she didnt feel liek it was an allergic reaction  but even with taking xnaxax and NO BUSPAR today im still having the tigntess feeling in my chest and feel like im losing my mind,,,does anyone think this could be alergic reaction since takinga pill at 9 am yesterday morning..im losing it my dr called me in some celexa and i started it today

Hey hazy,

Side effects and an allergic reaction are 2 different things when it comes to medication. It sounds like you are trying and stopping a few different types of meds., which can come with side effects. Read the pamplet real good that came with your prescription. You might even call your pharmacist and speak to him/her about what you are experiencing. You may just be having symptoms from switching to the xanax still. It's hard when you try too many new things at once to see what is causing the problem. Hope things get better for you and you can figure this out.

has anyone heard of a mild allergic reaction  a full day after taking apill,,,,or it messing with your mind

Hi hazy,

Anyone can have an allergic reaction to any medication at any time. From what I read about Buspar, it takes it a while to build up in the blood system to become effective. What kind of mind problems are you having? You still may be having problems from crossing over to the Xanax and haven't stabilized yet.

Im having a bit of tightness in my chest but have not taken a buspar since yestrday at 9 am.....now only on xnax and started celexa this afternoon    only took 2 doses of buspar,,,would it still be in my system i wont go to dr