Man Starves in Prison -- "Anti-Anxiety" medication

[...]

I know, Gardenia. That's exactly what it sounds like, doesn't it? How awful!  :-\

(sorry for posting this in the wrong place ... thanks for moving it)

that poor man. when i c/t i could not eat. i lost all my appetite. i drank so much water.

it was like i was dehydrated.

makes me angry, >:(

does any human being deserve to die like this? NO.

how many more victims are needed till they realize that stopping these meds

is like playing russian roulette ? criminal. :(

I've read so many times about loss of appetite, feeling like you're going crazy, hallucinations, etc., from people who have c/t'd. He was slamming his head against the wall, for goodness sake. And the thing is, as you know yourself, Gardenia, that the w/d's can last for years. Not necessarily the hallucinations but tons of other horrible stuff. Can you just imagine what the poor guy went through? Ack!

I hope to see a follow-up story about this man but I highly doubt there will be one.

I know, right, Claudia? I was really, really angry after I read the article.  :muscle: I wish they would have named the med he was on ... but I know it was a benzo. I just know it was. I guess maybe some anti-d's could be classified as anti-anxiety but, in this case, I don't think so.

yep Koko, i am sure it must have been a Benzo as well, or someone put him on

Seroquel (quetiapin), which is a strong antipsychotice and a beast as well.

LOL, they dish out these meds and have no clue how much damage they can do.

unbelievable. >:(

I hope they put that doc in the clink, fill him full of benzos then months later ct him.

This is VERY disturbing. Another wonderful example of one of our systems at its best. OMG

They fired the lead prison physician but not the lead prison psychologist (who was the one that refused to reinstate him). It should have been the other way around.

I've read so many times about loss of appetite, feeling like you're going crazy, hallucinations, etc., from people who have c/t'd. He was slamming his head against the wall, for goodness sake. And the thing is, as you know yourself, Gardenia, that the w/d's can last for years. Not necessarily the hallucinations but tons of other horrible stuff. Can you just imagine what the poor guy went through? Ack!

I hope to see a follow-up story about this man but I highly doubt there will be one.

heres another one

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/11/post_15.html

died fvrom xanax c/t

Oh, wow. Oh, wow ...  :(  He was on 6mgs a day, too. The coroner didn't mention anything about seizure. Maybe I'm being paranoid but when I read these sorts of articles I'm immediately suspicious. A c/t from 6mg a day? Seizure is the first thing that comes to my mind. Poor man. Such an unnecessary death.  :(

These reports make my eyes bleed.

And make me wonder how many more people this is happening to.

Unforgiveable.

Exactly, Spartacus.

These stories are published because they border on (or are) sensationalism. Can you just imagine how many "nobodys" go through this type of thing? Or worse?

*shudder*

Did anyone read the comments?  So depressing....no one seems to understand that c/t killed him and for sure no one gets the absolute horror this poor man must have went through strapped to a chair in withdrawal. 

Did anyone read the comments?  So depressing....no one seems to understand that c/t killed him and for sure no one gets the absolute horror this poor man must have went through strapped to a chair in withdrawal.

terrifying :-[

Or a fit Claudia.

The poor man died of "the complications of sarcoid" with subheadings of high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes and withdrawal from Xanax.

Post mortem should have shown evidence of a stroke, whether from a blockage or a bleed, or of a heart attack, because his heart continued beating long enough after he gave up any respiratory effort to display these pathologies.

It's not recorded whether his high blood sugar was from known diabetes or from the mode of his dying. He struggled and shouted while he could, patently terrified and distressed with heavy laboured breathing until he became quiet. Immediately before death his lungs themselves were therefore working well enough for him to make a lot of noise.

At this stage his jailers spoke with family for 7 minutes or so assuring them he was not in any danger.

His breathing was then noticed to be shallow and he went on to a respiratory arrest, his heart was still beating in the ambulance. He died and proved irretrievable when it stopped. I would be interested to know if he bit his tongue or was incontinent of urine. The causes of acute respiratory arrest include swallowing your tongue while fitting, transiently completely obstructing your own airways.

It isn't always possible to decide just what chronic disease process killed someone but the mode of their death, what caused them to cease breathing, their heart to stop pumping, is more often available. Even potassium or sodium imbalances can be inferred from tissue fluid levels of these after death.

The family are suing. I would hope that a more precise mechanism of death, the cause of his respiratory arrest, may eventually be available.

spartacus x

scary Spartacus, so scary indeed.

complication of sarcoid can cause delirium as well, i guess at this stage he must have

been incontinet. just the thought about the torture this man had to endure

makes me have a fasting day today, no appetite after this.

i wish the best to his family but i doubt that the precise mechanism of his death

will come to light or be prooved.

(sorry Spartacus, i know my bloody expression is not on a high level. lol (my benzo-brain)

Dearest Claudia,

Your English is expressive and amazing...and delirium whether from sarcoid or Xanax is a good thought, and a good description of his state.

I suppose it's possible that was why he was on Xanax in the first place...the reports don't say.

Unfortunately you're probably right, any court case will be settled behind closed doors and the truth will never be known, or cared about.

Love, spart x

• 2 months later...

that poor man. when i c/t i could not eat. i lost all my appetite. i drank so much water.

it was like i was dehydrated.

me too.  My heart goes out to that man

I read about this and was angry that no one recognized that benzo w/d was to blame. Then again, since society in general is so clueless about w/d, it's no wonder that it wasn't brought to light as being the main culprit. I find it interesting that his family wants to sue although he "had no family or friends visit him at the prison, and no one claimed his remains." Do they just want the money? I know I sound cynical. This is another reason, one of so many, that changes have to be made when it comes to recognizing the signs of benzo w/d and that w/d can last for a very long time. The fact that no medical personnel understood it is very typical. How sad.