• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [pr...]

• [bo...]

• [La...]

• [os...]

I remember feeling very validated when I first read this... you know, it made it more real world somehow.

Enimen is another who was doing Valium a lot and he got off and on again and then off.

These people recover, wonder how long it took Eminem to get well again, probably a good year or two until he was right again... amazing how time flies... people probably assumed he was just busy writing music... which he was after a time I think but even so, it probably meant he needed some serious laying low time.

He lost a lot of weight when he came back at some point and his eyes still looked a bit spooked in an interview... I'll post it if I ever find it, he did not look like he was madly relaxed... I admire him for getting back to touring and stuff... that work must be pretty hard after recovering from this...

"I can't perform tonight I am in a wave"

I mean, can you imagine?  :o

I'm surprised there aren't more celebrities coming out and talking about benzos, I mean you know a lot of them have got to be on them.

Whitney Houston was on Xanax I think and an anti depressant as well if my memory serves me correctly.

Amy Winehouse was on Librium.

yep Oscar, for long term users the 14 months mark is wishful thinking, from what i know now.

i am 17 months off after detox, i guess in my case it will also take 3 years

to recover. LOL , i have stopped dreaming now and became realistic about this crap. :o

yep Oscar, for long term users the 14 months mark is wishful thinking, from what i know now.

i am 17 months off after detox, i guess in my case it will also take 3 years

to recover. LOL , i have stopped dreaming now and became realistic about this crap. :o

It's how I think, I have been tapering 33.5 months so not far off 3 years at withdrawal myself, just not OFF yet... although when I stop tapering I feel pretty good so I think I am healing as I taper down.

3 years recovery seems to be a reality for many I think after long term use... but I turned a corner at month 20 and 22 so you will recover more and soon for sure.  :thumbsup:

• 6 months later...

I give the Korn guy a lot of credit, for persevering and for coming forward. One problem I find though, is when he or someone like Stevie Nicks comes forward, the impression given is that it is an addiction like cocaine or alcohol, and that artists are prone to this anyway. The headline reads "[Musician] Addiction" and people jump to the obvious conclusion.

This is especially ironic because our doctors think the same way. How many of us have heard a doctor say, "oh you don't have an addictive personality, (like rock stars do) so you'll be fine on klonopin ... for the rest of your life."

I give the Korn guy a lot of credit, for persevering and for coming forward. One problem I find though, is when he or someone like Stevie Nicks comes forward, the impression given is that it is an addiction like cocaine or alcohol, and that artists are prone to this anyway. The headline reads "[Musician] Addiction" and people jump to the obvious conclusion.

This is especially ironic because our doctors think the same way. How many of us have heard a doctor say, "oh you don't have an addictive personality, (like rock stars do) so you'll be fine on klonopin ... for the rest of your life."

Yes, that is the problem with celebrity "spokespeople" for the benzo cause- ignorance abounds regarding this illness and it is all too easy for people to jump to erroneous conclusions as soon as they see the celebrity addiction headline.

This is why is is of the utmost importance for any of us who decide to preach the gospel about benzos to do so in an accurate and informed manner. We have to be very clear about the difference between addiction and dependence, the fact that withdrawal can happen to anyone regardless of preexisting conditions (to dispel the "it's just anxiety BS) and that it can occur with as little as a couple of weeks use.

Well said, Florida Guy! If there is a "spokesperson", I'd love to see a medical professional be that person. I'm sure there are doctors or nurses who have been through this who could speak about the topic in an informed way. That could change the conversation a bit.

I'm surprised there aren't more celebrities coming out and talking about benzos, I mean you know a lot of them have got to be on them.

I'll bet there are tons of them on benzos. My guess is that they probably don't ever try to stop. Or if they do then they reinstate once they realize what they're up against.

koko

Yup-was said to me, too.

[48...]

I don't care if people view benzo use alongside cocaine use.  There can be addiction in benzodiazepine use just as well as any other drug -- I'll agree that it is less common, since the drugs aren't particularly euphoric, but nonethelss addiction to sedation can occur.  To act like it does not occur, is just a bit silly I think.  I've personally seen both sides of the addiction vs dependency coin, as a benzo user;  I began taking it for anxiety-like reasons...then became addicted to its sedative properties in making me sleep + slowing down my hyperactive mind (i.e. yearning for a drug for its property)...all the while being dependent due to ongoing use, and continuing to have to take it due to dependency.  And so what is the big deal?  What is this big distinction between addiction and dependency after all?

I think that the push for benzo users, on BB for example, to distance themselves from other drug users, is unnecessary.  People set up an "other" to knock down so that they can feel better about themselves.  "I don't use cocaine, that's THOSE other, real drug addicts."  Truth is, some people even use cocaine without being addicted or dependent.  We're all in the same boat.  I dislike the self-righteous attitudes I often find around here.  "It's dependency, not addiction."  Well, you're hooked on a drug, regardless of whether you took it recreationally initially, or ever, or what.  You're not different than anyone else, so I wouldn't expect the average person looking in from the outside to view you differently.

[48...]

Korn was my favorite band ever, between the ages of 10 til probably 14 or so.  After that, I didn't like their sound (albums up to "Follow the Leader" were my favorites, "Issues" was OK, and anything after that is awful IMO.) 

Any other Korn kids?

Janice Dickensen was also on ativan. She ended up on doctor drews rehab.  The took her off ativan but i believe the replaced it with another cocktail. 

I'll bet there are tons of them on benzos. My guess is that they probably don't ever try to stop. Or if they do then they reinstate once they realize what they're up against.

koko

I agree.  The sad thing is many are on a multitude of prescriptive and recreational drugs.  Reason dictates if they skip multiple doses of benzos, they would look to other drugs to mask the withdrawal.  How would they ever know the cause? 

They often use jargon like "getting clean" which is often a red flag for heavy use and addiction.  I'm pretty sure most of the "little ladies" that were prescribed benzodiazepines for years would have no idea what these celebrity addicts are talking about.  They took them as prescribed by their doctors never deviating from the prescribed amount.  Remember, there is no such thing as benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome, according to most of the medical community. 

In glad this guy got smart!  And he had the cajones to get off even after three tortuous years of withdrawal! 

:thumbsup:

I don't care if people view benzo use alongside cocaine use.  There can be addiction in benzodiazepine use just as well as any other drug -- I'll agree that it is less common, since the drugs aren't particularly euphoric, but nonethelss addiction to sedation can occur.  To act like it does not occur, is just a bit silly I think.  I've personally seen both sides of the addiction vs dependency coin, as a benzo user;  I began taking it for anxiety-like reasons...then became addicted to its sedative properties in making me sleep + slowing down my hyperactive mind (i.e. yearning for a drug for its property)...all the while being dependent due to ongoing use, and continuing to have to take it due to dependency.  And so what is the big deal?  What is this big distinction between addiction and dependency after all?

I think that the push for benzo users, on BB for example, to distance themselves from other drug users, is unnecessary.  People set up an "other" to knock down so that they can feel better about themselves.  "I don't use cocaine, that's THOSE other, real drug addicts."  Truth is, some people even use cocaine without being addicted or dependent.  We're all in the same boat.  I dislike the self-righteous attitudes I often find around here.  "It's dependency, not addiction."  Well, you're hooked on a drug, regardless of whether you took it recreationally initially, or ever, or what.  You're not different than anyone else, so I wouldn't expect the average person looking in from the outside to view you differently.

No one is saying that addiction to benzos is impossible and this has nothing to do with trying to feel superior to anyone.

Addiction and dependence have two very different medical definitions and the fact that doctors seem to have a problem understanding the difference is a big part of the reason why many of us are in this mess in the first place.

I was peripherally aware of the "addictive" potential of these drugs when I started taking them and when I asked my doctor about it her exact words were "I'm not worried about that with you". I was seeking professional advice to help me decide whether or not it was safe to take this class of drugs. Unfortunately for me my doctor was just as ignorant as I was, and as a result here I am almost 4 years after my last dose and still dealing with a handful of significant health issues that stem from my body having become chemically dependent on those drugs. She thought that as long as I wasn't asking for more pills that everything was fine when nothing could have been further from the truth. And frankly, that pisses me off.

After personally experiencing the aftermath of chemical dependence on benzodiazepines I'm not sure why anyone would think that it is not important to differentiate between a physical condition and a psychological one. Every time someone perpetuates the idea that these two conditions are one and the same they are perpetuating the problem.

Good point Tor. I was on klonopin "as needed." So of course I always felt like crap. A cocktail or 3 made me feel better. Luckily I never became addicted to alcohol.

But the problem that we are all complaining about is doctors trying to lump us in with true addicts - it affects how the FDA treats this, and how very influential doctors write about this. It's been something for pharma and our doctors to hide behind for too many years.

It's further proof that the medical community doesn't "get it." And it results in mis-treatment, mis-diagnosis, and lack of any clue on their part. It's pretty bad when you can't find a doctor that you can trust - just doctors that think we are hypochondriacs or just plain nuts.

No one is saying that addiction to benzos is impossible and this has nothing to do with trying to feel superior to anyone.

Addiction and dependence have two very different medical definitions and the fact that doctors seem to have a problem understanding the difference is a big part of the reason why many of us are in this mess in the first place.

I was peripherally aware of the "addictive" potential of these drugs when I started taking them and when I asked my doctor about it her exact words were "I'm not worried about that with you". I was seeking professional advice to help me decide whether or not it was safe to take this class of drugs. Unfortunately for me my doctor was just as ignorant as I was, and as a result here I am almost 4 years after my last dose and still dealing with a handful of significant health issues that stem from my body having become chemically dependent on those drugs. She thought that as long as I wasn't asking for more pills that everything was fine when nothing could have been further from the truth. And frankly, that pisses me off.

After personally experiencing the aftermath of chemical dependence on benzodiazepines I'm not sure why anyone would think that it is not important to differentiate between a physical condition and a psychological one. Every time someone perpetuates the idea that these two conditions are one and the same they are perpetuating the problem.

:thumbsup:  Very well put.

Well said, Florida Guy! If there is a "spokesperson", I'd love to see a medical professional be that person. I'm sure there are doctors or nurses who have been through this who could speak about the topic in an informed way. That could change the conversation a bit.

Do you really think there are that many doctors who have been through this? I would bet a large sum of money thag the number of physicians who have gone through benzo w/d similar to ehat we are going through is extremely small. This is a very small population, IMO.

koko

I think so too.

I would guess (I don't know) that in the creative fields an artist would want to stop because of cognitive issues. I am just an amateur percussion student and K has destroyed my ability to continue pursuing music as a hobby for the time being.  I would think Eminem would run into problems with his art and self expression due to cognitive impairment.  This is just a guess- I have no idea.

Can we do an analysis on Stevie Nicks' albums? I am not familiar with her music but I wonder what SN fans think of her music during the height of her benzo use vs those after. Does this make sense? Did her album sales increase after she got off K?

I know there are a few doctors that post on here.  Not a lot.  As far as nurses and other healthcare paractitioners, it seems like every other poster is a nurse of some sort.  A little exaggeration but not much.