If I can do it, so can you.

[Al...]

March 2013- ignorant cold turkey off with bad withdrawals

End of March 13'- reinstate 3 mg klonopin

March-Aug 3 2013- 3mg to 0mg. roughly 25-33% drops every other week, lower % near the end. YMMV

Februrary 14'- cessation of seroquel

March 14'- cessation of phenibut.

It's been a hell of a ride since last March 2013. I post mostly on another benzowithdrawal forum(if your curious to read my post struggle on that site PM me), that's a bit smaller, it's hard to keep up with anything here. But I digress, I wanted you guys to know that I've chosen a drug free life and I feel better than I have in 13 years! I've been klonopin free since August 3 2013 and chemical free for about 6 weeks. All my mood problems, anxiety, and sleep problems have become normal.

I've taught myself a ton of DBT skills, got in touch with my spirituality/Buddhism, and developed new interests/hobbies while waiting for this moment to happen. I'm not entirely sure how long it's been since I've been drug/alcohol/chemical free before this whole fiasco. I think about 13-14 years since I first started messing around with things I should have left alone.

Getting off these drugs is VERY possible. However, everyone reacts differently to different taper rates. Remember your results will vary, and LISTEN to your body's responses to taper rates and medication changes. It's been said over and over it is NOT a race. Take something away from the taper and cessation periods. Teach yourself something, take up new hobbies, and really get yourself prepared mentally to be free of the drug. Learn coping mechanisms, learn natural sleep techniques.

I'm happier than I have been in a very long time.

Now it's much more of a zen mood. I know what my life does and doesn't need.

I think this experience has been enlightening.

I have a new found respect for the impermanence of life which has more value than anything in my life.

I have learned to break the bonds of attachment.

Benzo withdrawal does suck for a while, I can remember some very unpleasant TEMPORARY feelings/experiences, but things can and will get a hell of a lot better.

Do not let anyone scare you with this stuff. If you sit around too much looking up withdrawal symptoms you're going to drive yourself absolutely crazy. Pick up hobbies, even if it's stuff at home like arts and crafts. Keep your mind very busy.

Keep your doctor informed of dangerous mood shifts.

Take care of yourself.

If you have any questions PM me.

Namaste.

Congratulations to you.

I know you have worked very hard to get your life back...Go enjoy your healthy new life.

Thank you for coming back to share your success with us.

Much love and healing,

Causing

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for this post. I was visiting the Post Withdrawal section too much and told myself to just look at the success stories and I came across yours. Thank you for saying, "If you sit around too much looking up withdrawal symptoms you're going to drive yourself absolutely crazy."

I'm on day #6 since I jumped from an 8 month taper and it's the pits and yes I'm the one online looking up all kinds of W/D symptoms. I need to stop and focus on the future. It's bright and the end of these symptoms are near. I will get my life back.

Many blessings! Namaste!  :smitten:

Congratulations, and thank you for sharing your success story.  May you go forth in health and happiness!

• 5 years later...

I recently received and email from a member here and totally forgot about this site. Yes I have been off of klonopin since this post. I would say Yes I am 100% better.

Main thing I remember was I used phenibut to help with tapering and I remember drinking alcohol would immediately will reset your timeline of tapering. Like you will feel the full terribleness of withdrawal in full force if you drink alcohol. So do not do it. Wait a very long time like 6 mo +. I was never a big drinker so it made zero difference to me to not drink but I think someone invited me out and it really messed with me. 

Anything that alters GABA in your system is not good while you are recovering and alcohol was a big NO NO.  Also I remember that gabapentin may help also with withdrawals from GABA/benzo drugs. 

I would say I'm 100% better.

Things that helped:

-Using the excel sheet the main site here had to taper off klonopin or w/e you're taking

-Gabapentin (need prescription for this)- taper off this whenever you feel ready if you choose this method- warning about this - I felt like my memory was total crap on it. but it definitely made me forget I was in withdrawal mode- so w/e works. lol

-Phenibut (this is available to buy online-check reddit phenibut forum- I use the large crystal version- the powder or small crystal versions online are very weak for some reason)- some ppl have withdrawals from this. For me they were very minimal like lasted less than a week. Not like quitting a true benzo type drug it works differently- closer to gabapentin but different cuz it works on HGH in the brain and some other things- look it up- do your research

-Nature's Way CalmAid, Non-drowsy clinically Studied Lavender pills (amazon)- I remember reading a study at my doctors office of some people feeling it helped them be less anxious and I used them and they were decent

-Exercise- force yourself to at least walk for 30-45 mins almost ever day- this will alleviate quite a bit of anxiety and exercise has been shown to help regrow brain cells quicker

-Dextromethorphan hbr- I found a moderate dose of this when things are very bad would really really help. This is hit and miss for people. It's chemically similar to ketamine which is used for depression now. Definitely not an every day fix but it's been shown in studies to be a neuroprotectant. But again do your research. Find if any of these things may help you.

Technically you could use all these things at once and you could possibly find decent relief. But I will emphasize again- find your taper plan- stick to it- if you find too much anxiety- hold the dose and wait to decrease again. It is not a rush to quit. Do it properly and you will find way less mental trauma over it. Find hobbies- learn a language, instrument, paint--anything. I studied buddhism quite hard when I was in the rough of it. It helped me immensely to learn to deal with my thoughts about things and to know things pass. I took violin lessons also to feel I was enriching my life. We started these meds for a reason. You must actively work to make yourself a more rounded person during recovery. It will serve you well in years to come.

Again yes I am 100% better and back to how I was before the medicine. Do not get sucked into the vortex of PAWS stories on here and other sites.

You can do it. I believe in you.  :thumbsup:

[20...]

Alex

Thank you for coming back and posting this.  I wish all who have healed would come back and post.  It gives me Hope!  I am so happy for you.

B

Alex....thank you so very much for coming and sharing your success story. Success stories such as yours means a lot to those of us who are still struggling. They give us hope, inspiration and faith that healing do happen. I am so very happy for you are 100% healed and back to how you were before the benzos. Thank you also for sharing all the things you did that helped with your healing!

May you continue to receive peace, joy and wellness in your new life!

Blessings!

Pi

Congrats on getting off these meds, I like how you turned your withdrawal/recovery into something positive by using it as a means to enhance your life. I think that part of recovery is critical.