What medications and/or supplements can assist benzo withdrawal?

[Ra...]

I'm going to be starting my taper tomorrow off of Klonopin.  I was wondering if there were some medications or supplements/vitamins that could assist me i.e. give me a greater chance at succeeding?

I'm on the last 2 mg here and I really want to push through this.  I've had Trazodone for sleep before and I've heard some good things about Gabapentin/Neurontin.  In the supplement area I have no clue other than possibly Kanna.  I take an expensive multivitamin and eat clean so I don't know if there is much more I can do in that area.

For tapering I'm thinking of using the Ashton manual but I haven't really read of any other methods.

Any thoughts or opinions?  I know sleep is very important in succeeding which is why I'm strongly leaning towards seeing if the dr will prescribe me some Trazodone.  More sleep = greater chance of success with me.

Thanks.

I found opiates useful in getting me through the most difficult and painful stages of the journey. They also have anti depressant qualities, assist sleep and are relatively non toxic.

They have a bad rap which is largely undeserved do to their addictive qualities yet by using them responsibly and not daily one can avoid dependence.

Some use anti seizure medications with success especially Gabapentin if the dose is right. I took and am still taking Depoakote, it did nothing for me.

Some use anti seizure medications with success especially Gabapentin if the dose is right. I took and am still taking Depoakote, it did nothing for me.

Depoakote?  Never heard of that one.

Gabapentin I've been on but I think it was too low of a dose to really notice anything.  I have heard of using that one.

Depakote is dirty man. I hate the stuff, it has made me fat and has raised one of my liver enzymes! I've heard a lot of people getting help with Gabapentin but the dose is tricky. I think the ones that don't respond well with it aren't taking enough or are just really sensitive to it. I'm not recommending it just saying from what I've heard. Two of my friends who abused big doses of Xanax used Gabapentin and Alcohol to detox themselves. I thought they were nuts! A year later they tapered off the Gabapentin (which was still hard for them) however they just increased their alcohol use and continue to drink to this day. So who knows if they are really healed, right? Just know that Gaba will have a withdrawal too although I hear it's not nearly as bad or as long I should say.

Gabapentin wd is hell on earth also, believe me, Please go to the other meds thread and look for the gabapentin withdrawl posts. You will find the same horror stories you find on any benzo. IMO only, I think its gonna be worse than the Klonopin for me due to the very short half life. If you can stay away from it..if you can. I wish I NEVER took it, then Id only be dealing with the K wd.

There was a big lawsuit out on it also.

Gabapentin wd is hell on earth also, believe me, Please go to the other meds thread and look for the gabapentin withdrawl posts. You will find the same horror stories you find on any benzo. IMO only, I think its gonna be worse than the Klonopin for me due to the very short half life. If you can stay away from it..if you can. I wish I NEVER took it, then Id only be dealing with the K wd.

There was a big lawsuit out on it also.

Thanks for the replies on this.  I was seriously considering gabapentin but now I'll stay clear of that.  Keep your chin up groovejuice, you look like you're doing great with your tapering!  I wish I was at where you are right now. :)

Thanks Rated and I think your smart to say away OMG. Ya my taper is going, but Im suffering. I have alot of pre existing problems with depression and anxiety PLUS the damn gabapentin so dont let that comment effect you bud.

Be well

Yeah there is a reason Gabapentin works, because it probably doing what the benzo was doing. My doctor gave it to me and I took it once. It gave me a tightening in my throat and my heart was pounding, scared me! He told me it's addictive too so I said forget it.

I got Depakote because I had a seizure before and that's why I'm on it. Doctor was afraid I'd have a withdrawal seizure. I was on 1000 mg and tapered down to 187 mg now. It didn't do anything for my withdrawal sx, not a thing! I haven't had a seizure not that I'm aware of and even the depakote has withdrawal like benzos but not as bad so far. It's been tough getting off this last little bit. I think I'll wait till I'm healed first. Good luck, maybe look at the titrating forum for coming off the benzo.

Many people find Remeron very useful in benzo withdrawal.  Seems to mask benzo withdrawal sx's (the tricky part seems to be not coming off too soon and finding your benzo withdrawal sx's aren't healed yet).  Some people found this also has withdrawal syndrome potential (IMO after reading it sounds like it isn't as bad as benzo withdrawals, though there are a few pretty daunting stories).  Read the Remeron threads... some call it a lifesaver (like Parker, JC90, and builder)... some call it evil (like Angel958 [might have her name wrong]).

I take it occaisonally for sleep.  Really in hindsight I can just say I wish I had gone on Remeron, gabapentin, or something like that to help mask benzo withdrawal... a non-benzo (at least usually less intense) withdrawal sounds excellent.

I also find magnesium helpful in calming the nervous system (magnesium malate or glycinate seem good).

I'm no doctor, but I think the best advice is not to quickly push though this... treat tapering like you're boiling a frog, heat that water slowly.  It's good to try and avoid shocking your body.

- taper very slowly

- make very small dosage cuts

- titrate toward the end

- going slow is your best friend

Good luck,

dbell

Many people find Remeron very useful in benzo withdrawal.  Seems to mask benzo withdrawal sx's (the tricky part seems to be not coming off too soon and finding your benzo withdrawal sx's aren't healed yet).  Some people found this also has withdrawal syndrome potential (IMO after reading it sounds like it isn't as bad as benzo withdrawals, though there are a few pretty daunting stories).  Read the Remeron threads... some call it a lifesaver (like Parker, JC90, and builder)... some call it evil (like Angel958 [might have her name wrong]).

I take it occaisonally for sleep.  Really in hindsight I can just say I wish I had gone on Remeron, gabapentin, or something like that to help mask benzo withdrawal... a non-benzo (at least usually less intense) withdrawal sounds excellent.

I also find magnesium helpful in calming the nervous system (magnesium malate or glycinate seem good).

I'm no doctor, but I think the best advice is not to quickly push though this... treat tapering like you're boiling a frog, heat that water slowly.  It's good to try and avoid shocking your body.

- taper very slowly

- make very small dosage cuts

- titrate toward the end

- going slow is your best friend

Good luck,

dbell

Awesome reply! Thank you so much.  This is very useful information.  I don't think I need anything now in my tapering but as I go along I will definitely keep Remeron in mind. :)

In my experience, all these psych meds will work differently in each person - which is why psychopharmacology is such a tricky little skill. I was on gabapentin at first, and it saved my life (rapid withdrawal, in danger of deadly seizures... bad bad bad bad idea). I have bipolar, and went to the hospital where they finally put me on depakote. They actually accused me of having a personality disorder and refused to medicate me repeatedly, which was really not cool. That's the other thing, getting medicated well might have a lot to do with your economics, race, and gender... like everything else.

So I'd say, if you find something that keeps you from going batshiet crazy, love it and squeeze it and call it George. There are a number of folks who have no worries going off and therefore don't post here, and there are also a number of folks who don't post here because they don't make it... not kidding. Suicide happens.

So, I feel far away and am going to gain weight for sure... and to that I say "Yay." Today is my first solid day on depakote and my first in a month with no suicidal thoughts.

Be careful, be well, and be very easy on yourself. 

In my experience, all these psych meds will work differently in each person - which is why psychopharmacology is such a tricky little skill. I was on gabapentin at first, and it saved my life (rapid withdrawal, in danger of deadly seizures... bad bad bad bad idea). I have bipolar, and went to the hospital where they finally put me on depakote. They actually accused me of having a personality disorder and refused to medicate me repeatedly, which was really not cool. That's the other thing, getting medicated well might have a lot to do with your economics, race, and gender... like everything else.

So I'd say, if you find something that keeps you from going batshiet crazy, love it and squeeze it and call it George. There are a number of folks who have no worries going off and therefore don't post here, and there are also a number of folks who don't post here because they don't make it... not kidding. Suicide happens.

So, I feel far away and am going to gain weight for sure... and to that I say "Yay." Today is my first solid day on depakote and my first in a month with no suicidal thoughts.

I'm glad to hear you're doing better!  I will keep in mind what you have told me.  I am on Paxil and while it doesn't help with withdrawal it does balance me from the suicidal thoughts and stuff.  I've come to terms that this is probably something I'm going to have to be on for the rest of my life but benzodiazepines have to go.

Thanks for your concern and your post! :)

Wow the Depakote helped you that much? What dose do they have you on? So far it has put 30 lbs on me and I barely eat! It's also raising my liver enzymes but I also feel I need something to help me out. Depakote just doesn't do the job for me. Gonna see a neurologist May 2nd and see what she has to say. I'll let you guys know.

RatedRKO16, good luck with the taper. Hopefully it goes smooth enough to where you don't need anything else.

Mirtazapine or Remeron has helped me a lot it gives you a nice sleepy and calming feeling I recommend it! Also watch some tv listen to music or play some video games distraction is the best medication.