Is Vistaril ok during benzo withdrawal?

[Ge...]

Is Vistaril ok during benzo withdrawal? I have some of this from my inpatient detox. I remember it didn't do much but it helped a little bit. Insomnia and anxiety are terrible right now. My thoughts are very scattered and I'm having a lot of confusion right now. I just need something to help me calm down but I don't want it to make things worse. From what I understand its basically and antihistamine.

George -

From what I've read, vistoril/atarax can help short-term with insomnia and anxiety.  It has a different mechanism than benzos for doing that so it shouldn't interfere with your taper.  As with any such medication, it's best not to use for longer than a week or two because of the risk of tolerance.  Also, it's always a good idea to discuss any changes to your medication with your doctor.  There could be interactions with other medications you are taking.

Good luck.

Im a firm believer in staying as med free as possible during these trying time. It seems like when I do decide to try something it only makes me feel worst.

• 3 months later...

Geo, hydroxyzine (Vistaril) is just an antihistamine with CLAIMED anxiolytic effects. It may help with insomnia, but just as Benadryl is an antihistamine, Vistaril won't do much more than make you drowsy.

hth,

Ten