Tolerance or withdrawal? How do you tell the difference?

[So...]

I've seen some discussions along this topic... and although physiologically I know the difference (withdrawal is the body responding to a drop on dose, whereas tolerance is the body no longer responding correctly to the current dose), as far as symptoms go, are they pretty much the same? I'm wondering if a big part of why I've had such problems the last six months or so may be because of tolerance. I held for four months but never really felt better. But when I finally did cut a month ago, I actually felt GREAT. But now I'm back to feeling sick again (after holding for the last month).

I'm going ahead with my next cut, even though I'm scared to death. I figure I'll never know what I'm dealing with until I try. But if things get worse, I'm not sure what I'll do!

Hi, SongMom.

I think you have a good grasp of the concepts and the inherent difficulties in tapering when tolerance is a factor.  It's one of the reasons I think it's possible to hold too long, waiting to "stabilize", though how long is "too long" is always up for debate.  I used 3 weeks for my personal guideline based on what I'd read and, frankly, a couple of times I don't think any amount of holding would have made a difference. 

I started in tolerance, had been on benzos for nearly 20 years and believed I needed to get off them as quickly as possible but safely.  For me, that was cutting about every 2 weeks.  Like you, I had periods when I actually felt better after a dose reduction but the only explanation that makes sense to me for that to occur is that my body was healing as I tapered and some of my natural GABA functioning had returned over the months of tapering.  It didn't always happen, of course, which is one of the things that makes planning a taper so maddening:  there are just too many variables and healing isn't linear, the way healing from a wound or disease generally is.  You just have to keep moving forward as best you can and keep the faith.  :thumbsup:

I always say if things get worse, I ll wait the 3 weeks, but then I am going to cont the taper. Seriously, tol has been so painful for me, I really can't imagine anything worse. Getting off this poison is my only goal!! :thumbsup:

I've seen some discussions along this topic... and although physiologically I know the difference (withdrawal is the body responding to a drop on dose, whereas tolerance is the body no longer responding correctly to the current dose), as far as symptoms go, are they pretty much the same? I'm wondering if a big part of why I've had such problems the last six months or so may be because of tolerance. I held for four months but never really felt better. But when I finally did cut a month ago, I actually felt GREAT. But now I'm back to feeling sick again (after holding for the last month).

I'm going ahead with my next cut, even though I'm scared to death. I figure I'll never know what I'm dealing with until I try. But if things get worse, I'm not sure what I'll do!

Its ok to be scared, there are lots of highs and lows during and possibly after taper.  I am now in a cycle of two days great, bad day wave.  It does get better, as long as you are willing to work through it.  I wish I tapered slower, that seems to cut down on the protracted effects.  I was just so desperate to get off them.  I'm in a bad wave right now!  This won't beat me.  It won't beat you either.

Best of luck to you!