morning anxiety

[...]

Ok, so I've been "complaining" about morning anxiety and last night when I wasn't sleeping I realized that it usually comes on AFTER my morning dose. 

Anyone have any explanation for that?

I think you may be having a paradoxical reaction, CAL.  Several members have reported feeling okay until they took their pill and then feeling worse.  This is from Chapter 1 of the Ashton Manual:

"Paradoxical stimulant effects. Benzodiazepines occasionally cause paradoxical excitement with increased anxiety, insomnia, nightmares, hallucinations at the onset of sleep, irritability, hyperactive or aggressive behaviour, and exacerbation of seizures in epileptics. Attacks of rage and violent behaviour, including assault (and even homicide), have been reported, particularly after intravenous administration but also after oral administration. Less dramatic increases in irritability and argumentativeness are much more common and are frequently remarked upon by patients or by their families. Such reactions are similar to those sometimes provoked by alcohol. They are most frequent in anxious and aggressive individuals, children, and the elderly. They may be due to release or inhibition of behavioural tendencies normally suppressed by social restraints. Cases of "baby-battering", wife-beating and "grandma-bashing" have been attributed to benzodiazepines."

Hey CAL and Beeper,

Thanks for asking this and answering you two. I have noticed that after my 5 pm dose, I have a lot of irritability and it's easier for me to argue or to be aggressive when I am talking about something or making a point! I don't know why it would be only after my pm dose, but this happens to me (not everyday). I need to go back and reread the Ashton Manual again; it's been a while!!

"Paradoxical stimulant effects. Benzodiazepines occasionally cause paradoxical excitement with increased anxiety, insomnia, nightmares, hallucinations at the onset of sleep, irritability, hyperactive or aggressive behaviour, and exacerbation of seizures in epileptics. Attacks of rage and violent behaviour, including assault (and even homicide), have been reported, particularly after intravenous administration but also after oral administration. Less dramatic increases in irritability and argumentativeness are much more common and are frequently remarked upon by patients or by their families. Such reactions are similar to those sometimes provoked by alcohol. They are most frequent in anxious and aggressive individuals, children, and the elderly. They may be due to release or inhibition of behavioural tendencies normally suppressed by social restraints. Cases of "baby-battering", wife-beating and "grandma-bashing" have been attributed to benzodiazepines."

I don't know if there is anything that you can do about this, CAL. Just part of the withdrawal/recovery/healing process!! Maybe Beeper has a better answer??? :-\

Lori :smitten:

I found myself wondering it would help to shift your evening dose a few hours earlier. YOu could also try shifting that morning dose to the time of day when you are more active anyway.  Might even help with sleep.  If it is the benzo causing the morning anxiety, maybe it's interfering with sleep, too.  Also, if you are having a paradoxical reaction, the sooner it is out of your system the better, IMO.

Also, if you are having a paradoxical reaction, the sooner it is out of your system the better, IMO.

This would make sense!! Unfortunatley, we don't want to rush the taper, either!! Seems like a paradoxical reaction can be compared to an allergic reaction to the benzo!! Not sure if that is medically true, but seems like it! Thanks, Beeper!

Lori :smitten:

Hi Cal, I know this will sound silly but I have a bubble bath every morning. That really works for me even when I've had zero sleep. I lock the door and tell everyone to buzz off until I am ready. That agitated feeling is no fun, and waking up that way is less fun. I find a soak in the tub kind of re-clocks me and re-starts the day. ;D

Wow,

Wonderwoman, just in reading some of your posts, you have been through the ringer with these friggin benzos.  It sucks so much.  I was only on Xanax for six weeks total at .25 per day.  And towards the last couple of weeks taking it, only like every other day.  And i thought my symptoms were severe (I did take levaquin too, though started at the same time of Xanax), but yours were really bad.  I really admire you for having come this far off of the drugs.  I think you're awesome.  I really admire your courage.

It's been over 2.5 months since I got off of the Xanax completely and I feel okay some days and not so good others.  Today has been emotional and shaky.  Mornings are usually the worst for me.  For me the psychological symptoms are hanging on mostly.

Tammy

Ok, so right now I am dosing 3 x a day 8 hours apart with the titration.  I could actually take a little bit every hour or so, or whatever.  Is it still important to be consistant with dosing, though?  Lorazapam is a short life benzo, so maybe I could dose more often. 

Not sure what would be the best route, any more suggestions?  I'd love to just jump, but don't think I'll like the landing very much :)

Thanks again

WW:  bubble bath, huh?  not a bad idea>>>>Calgon...take me away

Ok, so right now I am dosing 3 x a day 8 hours apart with the titration.  I could actually take a little bit every hour or so, or whatever.   Is it still important to be consistant with dosing, though?  Lorazapam is a short life benzo, so maybe I could dose more often. 

Not sure what would be the best route, any more suggestions?  I'd love to just jump, but don't think I'll like the landing very much :)

Thanks again

WW:  bubble bath, huh?  not a bad idea>>>>Calgon...take me away

Hi CAL,

It is best to take your doses consistently. If you want you could take it 4 X/day, but I wouldn't take it anymore than that.  Are you having interdosal withdrawal symptoms on 3X/day?

T2 :smitten:

I found the same thing when taking my Clonazepam 3x/day.  I am now taking it just 1x at bedtime and it seems to help, though it gets a little rough late afternoon/early evening.  Clonazepam is a longer acting benzo though, so I'm not sure how much my experience applies.

I've considered going back to 2x/day, morning and evening, but I'm concerned I'd start having the paradoxical effects in the am again, and I'm just starting to get used to getting some work done...

- John

T2, no interdosal w/d, just the morning anxiety.

Beeper, is it important that I keep it 8 hours apart though?  right now I am taking 1/3 of my mixture at 6 am, 2 pm and 10 pm.  Not sure how I could change this so the morning one is later and the evening one is earlier...unless I tried 2x a day  8 am and 8 pm.....any more thots?

Yea, John, I  don't think once a day would be feasible....lorazapam half life is 10 -20 hours, so maybe 2x a day would work.  Probably won't know for sure until I try it....I hate this trial and error stuff :(

T2, no interdosal w/d, just the morning anxiety.

Beeper, is it important that I keep it 8 hours apart though?  right now I am taking 1/3 of my mixture at 6 am, 2 pm and 10 pm.   Not sure how I could change this so the morning one is later and the evening one is earlier...unless I tried 2x a day  8 am and 8 pm.....any more thots?

Yea, John, I  don't think once a day would be feasible....lorazapam half life is 10 -20 hours, so maybe 2x a day would work.  Probably won't know for sure until I try it....I hate this trial and error stuff :(

Because you are experiencing paradoxical effects in the morning, I don't think the usual advice about evenly spacing your doses is as important as finding the best time to take your doses.  I suppose if it were me, I'd start inching that morning dose toward, say 11-12, an hour a day and see if it helped the morning anxiety.  If that went well, I'd probably do the same with the 10pm dose, but move it earlier an hour a day to see if it helped sleep.  (Or you could try the moving the evening dose first; it really doesn't matter.  I just wouldn't change them both at the same time.)

Does this make sense?

Hi CAL,

sorry that you are having morning anxiety, I am not experiencing much anxiety right now, but the night time sleep issues still continue, so i adjusted my time from 11 pm to 10-1030 pm, since I took the pill a litte earlier, it did its damage (anoying me and keep me up earlier) and i am able to get to sleep a little earlier as well.

Be strong and keep moving forward!

Thanks for the suggestions.  I am going to try moving the am dose later each day.  Today I moved it 1 hour and will continue.  I did have less anxiety this morning anyway.  Who knows, maybe it was all just a fluke and didnt' mean anything.