Tapering for Baby Boomers +

[st...]

Hi,

I currently follow the VALIUM/DIAZEPAM SUPPORT GROUP because I'm on diazepam, and How many people HAVE to work while tapering, because I do!

However, I wonder if there are enough other people who are baby boomers, in their 50s, 60s or even older who are members of Benzo Buddies and may share some of the issues or concerns I have.

I've posted much, but not all, of this before.

I've been on diazepam for 40+ years, for sleep. I really didn't need it at first, but was prescribed some (doctors did then and, I believe, still do prescribe benzos way too much).

Anyway, I've gone from 5mg/night in my early 20s to 20mg/night at 66.

For the last 3 or so years, my sleep has been spotty, but when I slept well, I felt fine. In mid- December 2013, I shifted my sleeping hours dramatically one day, got 2 ½ hours sleep that night, and that continued, more or less, for weeks.

Then, I got some extra diazepam from a friend and tried, in my words to "reset" myself. Took 7 5mg tablets for 3 days, and slept well, then 6, then 5. When I got back to 4, though, I got scared, and began potentiating it with alcohol. I knew this was a bad idea, so saw a psychiatrist, and realized that it was worse than I thought, and I was putting myself in danger.

She prescribed Gabapentin and then, the following month, Trazodone.

I've been sleeping approx 8 hours/night since then, but I never really wake up feeling rested. I look in the mirror, and look tired to myself. I haven't felt the same (i.e. good) since I've been on Gabapentin, but at least I do sleep, and feel better than I did when getting 2 1/2 hours.

My wife assures me that I look fine. However, I don't feel fine. And last night, we had dinner with friend who mentioned that I looked tired. I was tired!

Since January, when I was put on Gabapentin, I've felt, virtually every day, a combination of tired and weird head feelings. But, again, at least I sleep, which wasn't happening immediately before that.

I think it's obvious that I'm in tolerance withdrawal, and the Gabapentin and Trazodone, although they do indeed help me sleep, are not nearly as good as diazepam, which I got along with fine. (Except for occasional nights, from 0 – early 20s, I slept fine, and slept well on diazepam ever since, till now.)

Aside from diazepam, I also take medications for digestive issues I've had since my 30s, and synthroid for hypothyroidism, which runs in my family. Also, on blood pressure medication since my early 50s, currently Micardis, an ARB.

Now, people are living longer and longer these days, and longevity seems to run in my family, with both my parents passing at 96, and their siblings also in their late 80s/early 90s. My last uncle is now in his late 80s.

Of course, being a baby boomer, and doing the things that many of us did, i.e. a variety of drugs, I have no idea if I will follow in their footsteps.

The initial reason I wanted to be off benzos, is because at some point in time, my current doctors will retire, I don't know what my situation will be, and I may find myself in a situation, maybe a nursing home in 20+ years down the road, or a hospital for one reason or another, or prescribing laws in the US may be such where I can't get them, and I will be in big trouble.

Now, I'm seeing my psychiatrist this Thursday. Last month, she suggested that I cut by 2.5 mg. I did not.

I came home, did some searches, discovered Ashton, and then this support group.

2.5 is way too much to start, and daily symptom-driven cuts seem the best way to go.

What's the alternative? I obviously can't stay on my current dose. I need to either go higher or taper. Don't know if going higher is feasible due to legal reasons, medical reasons and, also, I now realize that I may be doing myself ongoing harm. Not one physician in 40 years has told me I'm actually causing changes in my brain due to diazepam.

I should have tapered years ago, but I didn't know that. Now, I anticipate daily slow tapering starting later this week.

I look forward to being benzo free, sleeping well, and feeling well. But I also question whether  that can ever happen. I try and imagine receptors healing, being released from dependence, and feeling good. But I also wonder if it's too late in life, and I should try to keep increasing or do something else, whatever that may be.

Assuming I taper which, I believe, is likely, I'd love to hear, share, and give/receive support from other baby boomers. I don't know if interacting with others in this same stage of life is helpful or not. Maybe it doesn't matter. Let's see if any interest.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm also a boomer and working hard to rid myself of valium.  You can see in my sig that I started with Xanax and crossed over to valium and am now doing a really slow taper off.  For me, discontinuing the drug was not an option because I refuse to be held hostage by it.  I want a drug free life where my  actions and decisions come from a clear head.  Like you, I have longevity in my family but also had my share of boomer indiscretions, so we'll see, but I do plan now on living the healthiest life possible.  I think you're making a good decision to taper off for all of the reasons you've listed and it's certainly very doable.  Often not always easy, but doable.  And I don't believe age will make a difference in  tapering difficulty or length of recovery time.  I think that is really more genetic and lifestyle based.  The key to success is a slow taper that allows healing at the same time and taking really good care of your body.  I've been keeping a journal since starting this and looking back, I've had many more decent than bad days.  So if you decide to go ahead, which I hope you do, know that you can do this and I'm sure both you and your wife will be glad you did.

Btw, thank you for this thread!  :)

Debby

I'm a boomer too - born 1959, so I came along at the tail end of things. I managed to avoid all those drug pitfalls in my earlier life, apart from drinking a bit when I was in my early 20s. Never smoked, never did drugs, but here I am at 54 dependant on a drug. Never thought that would happen to me, but I guess that's why we're called accidental addicts.

Debbie:

You're welcome for the thread, but it doesn't seem to getting traffic! Maybe most are younger, or perhaps people are not interested in an age-related thread. My thought was that people of our age group have things in common, ranging from Bob Dylan and the Beatles, to the fact that our generation was amazing :) to blood pressure and other medications that we may be on now!!!

Diaz:

Hey! Never heard the term "accidental addict!" But it fits. From prior posts, I don't think it's exactly "accidental;" but, to paraphrase a Dylan song, "We just happened to be there, that's all."

Steve

Stevey, there is a thread for those 50 and older, a lot of ladies on that thread if you can handle 'lady issues'  :laugh:

Your issues are similar to mine, although I've never been on valium, my concerns are similar.  I take a whopping 3mg of Xanax which is equal to 60mg of valium.  I started taking it mainly to sleep, but then need to start taking it during the day to as anxiety escalated.  So then after several breakdowns over the years, this last one being the longest, I (along with my physician) decided the Xanax may be part of my anxiety problem and need to get off it.  Like you, my other concern was that even if I continued to take it, what if my doc dies or retires?  No new doc in their right mind is going to give me 3mg of Xanax a day.  So here I am tapering now.  I've only done 3 cuts so far of about 2%,  I'm a huge chicken and want the least amount of symptoms possible.  My job has LOTS of stress, so I don't think I can handle major w/d and job stress at the same time.

You might pop over to the Over 50 group and join over there.  I'm 52, so just at the tail end of the Boomer generation. 

You can do this Steve!  We're here for all the support you need!

Hugs,

Rabbit

Stevey, there is a thread for those 50 and older, a lot of ladies on that thread if you can handle 'lady issues'  :laugh:

Your issues are similar to mine, although I've never been on valium, my concerns are similar.  I take a whopping 3mg of Xanax which is equal to 60mg of valium.  I started taking it mainly to sleep, but then need to start taking it during the day to as anxiety escalated.  So then after several breakdowns over the years, this last one being the longest, I (along with my physician) decided the Xanax may be part of my anxiety problem and need to get off it.  Like you, my other concern was that even if I continued to take it, what if my doc dies or retires?  No new doc in their right mind is going to give me 3mg of Xanax a day.  So here I am tapering now.  I've only done 3 cuts so far of about 2%,  I'm a huge chicken and want the least amount of symptoms possible.  My job has LOTS of stress, so I don't think I can handle major w/d and job stress at the same time.

You might pop over to the Over 50 group and join over there.  I'm 52, so just at the tail end of the Boomer generation. 

Hugs,

Rabbit

Hi Rabbit!

I noticed that thread after I started this one. Yes, there are a lot a ladies there; about 99%. I will pop in, but I was hoping for something a bit different. People of roughly our age have a different perspective on things, and also share a common baby boomer past: peace and love and music (and weed++) and long hair and the Viet Nam war, etc.; a nice generation to be a part of.

And so on.

But, I'm here to get off benzos, as we all are, and that's obviously the thread that binds. BB is an amazing group, and so glad I found it.

And, thanks for *your* support; please know that it's returned!

Steve

Thank you Stevey, we would welcome some guys on the over 50 thread, maybe tame some of that estrogen down  :laugh:  We have some pretty good laughs over there.  I think you would enjoy it.  Not so bad being a guy in the minority among so many women, right?  :smitten:

Hugs,

Rabbit

• 1 month later...

Hugs,

Rabbit

Hi, I'm a 66 year old woman.  May I ask how you tapered? Did you dry cut? I'm on 3 mg. ativan and need to get off.  I know nothing about scales, liquid taper, dr says no valium or compounding.  Any help would be very much appreciated,  Thank You.  mini

Hugs,

Rabbit

Hi, I'm a 66 year old woman.  May I ask how you tapered? Did you dry cut? I'm on 3 mg. ativan and need to get off.  I know nothing about scales, liquid taper, dr says no valium or compounding.  Any help would be very much appreciated,  Thank You.  mini

Hi Mini,

First,  I just checked, and there's an Ativan thread here at:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=44903.0

Why won't your doctor let you cross over to diazepam, which is usually the preferred route?

Have you seen the Ashton manual? If not, it's online at

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

Frankly, IMHO, unless there's a good reason for it, this is YOUR taper, not your doctor's, and you should be able to taper in a way that you're comfortable with!

Do you want to cross over to Valium?

If so, then perhaps you could read up on Ashton, read info here on BB, and present it to your doctor.

If not, then, if it were me, I'd find another doc (a psychiatrist) who will help you cross over.

I wish you the very best of luck with this!!!!!

Best,

Steve

[83...]
I said to my pdoc, "remember how u mentioned that u use Prozac to get pts off ssris because of it's long acting properties? Well, I believe valium could work in that same way..." and low and behold, she said, why,yes I have used valium to get pts off of benzos and u may do that if u wish." I was so happy that she agreed! I just told her that I was wanting to head in the best direction and have the best chance to get off of my benzo, and I felt valium would be best for me. To which she agreed. And Im thankful for that. I was born in 1963, was that the last yr for the boomer babies???

ingrid, hi .I plan to cut and hold also. Still stabilizing on the V...How have you found the  cuts and sxs so far may I ask? Are you going to try it all the way. I was. Just want to find some common issues.  thanks  rose

Im still tired and spacey most days, btw.... :)

[83...]

ingrid, hi .I plan to cut and hold also. Still stabilizing on the V...How have you found the  cuts and sxs so far may I ask? Are you going to try it all the way. I was. Just want to find some common issues.  thanks  rose

Im still tired and spacey most days, btw.... :)

Rose, I plan my 3rd .5mg cut for Sunday, after 2 weeks holding, this time. Im not having any issues. The gods must be smiling down upon me...I tried dry cutting from klonopin a few times and it was hell. I also had the tired spacy feeling from valium but no more. Ive been also extremely busy with work, and making sure I hike for miles everyday too. Once I get to 5mg, I will only cut .25mg, and may hold 3 weeks. Im just going by how I feel, seat of my pants, type of thing! My last hold was 3 weeks, but since Im feeling normal, Im gonna go ahead and cut at 2 weeks this time. I see my pdoc June 5th. I don't want to be going so slow that she's second guessing letting me switch to valium! But I don't think she'd be disappointed esp since Im heading in the right direction, down. I sure hope u get to feeling more energy soon. How's the sadness/depression u were feeling? I didn't or haven't had that one yet, but Im sure that's very difficult.

ingrid, so happy for you. I have tiedness and still the blues..I want to feel better so so much..Im not stable on the 10mgs yet. Very anxious this morning. No sleep last night. Could be the Mom's day coming up and seeing people. Im sorta nervous like that now...Thanks for being here ingrid... :smitten:

[83...]
Rose, just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Time will pass. I think my anxiety is in remission now, as Im not having much at all. My pdoc told me that anxiety disorders wax and wane, never fully going away. The valium certainly helps my sleep, but I take one dose, all at night. As I go down in dose, I will add remeron 3.75mg for sleep, if need be. I do well with that med and can easily start and stop it. I also like the valium because Ive had No neck pain since starting it. Ive had neck pain on and off for yrs. So, once I get down in dose, that may come roaring back. But I am determined to be benzo free, so I will have to figure something med free for that, if it returns. I may go yrs w/o the neck pain, and yrs w/o the anxiety. We just never know. I guess we just need to keep moving forward, like a pack of buffalo, all together, looking out for each other!  ;)

ingrid.... :smitten: all true what you say...I take dose 3x day. i will just see how today goes. I also have remeron if needed..I just don't want more meds..but may need too...\The sadness and fear just bad today

I miss working, can't now...

Miss my enregy and yard work, etc...

Im trying so hard...want these things again....

You are so kind... :smitten: :smitten:  rose

thanks for looking out for me, I do the same when I can. It really means so much

[83...]
I will say I think my hiking has helped me immensely thru this Rose. If u can at all, get out and walk in the sun and fresh air, even if just around the block or down the street, listen to the birds, notice the green leaves swaying on the trees.  :)

[83...]
Another huge help to me has been to lay on my porch,on my back, arms stretched out behind me, feet up on the wall, and just lay there, gazing into the heavens, not worrying about what neighbors may think, not worrying at all. Just watching the clouds go by and breathing deeply.  :)

Yes ingrid, beauitiful here today. will sit out on patio. Just don't feel like my body can go..Still much sedation from the v. Im trying to just make my bed now..crying...

All you say is true.

Just may have to give in and rest in chair with tv today....

Either this benzo thing has hit me hard, or I'm just like this. I keep saying to myself(parker's POst) that it's the benzo.

much thanks and love  rose

[83...]
Yes, the valium is known to depress some. I don't know what u should do in this case, because it is the best to taper from. And ur taper needs to be slow, but the depression is not good. Maybe someone can chime in on this? Does the valium keep depressing, all the way down, or can it lift as u go down in dose? I think they say it does lift, as u go down. Keep posting, everyone will see you thru Rose. We're a pack  ;D

ingrid  :angel::smitten: 

Yes, the depression is not good. Crying too much. I will ask again on the V thread..

You  are a dear

Hi,

I currently follow the VALIUM/DIAZEPAM SUPPORT GROUP because I'm on diazepam, and How many people HAVE to work while tapering, because I do!

However, I wonder if there are enough other people who are baby boomers, in their 50s, 60s or even older who are members of Benzo Buddies and may share some of the issues or concerns I have.

I've posted much, but not all, of this before.

I've been on diazepam for 40+ years, for sleep. I really didn't need it at first, but was prescribed some (doctors did then and, I believe, still do prescribe benzos way too much).

Anyway, I've gone from 5mg/night in my early 20s to 20mg/night at 66.

For the last 3 or so years, my sleep has been spotty, but when I slept well, I felt fine. In mid- December 2013, I shifted my sleeping hours dramatically one day, got 2 ½ hours sleep that night, and that continued, more or less, for weeks.

Then, I got some extra diazepam from a friend and tried, in my words to "reset" myself. Took 7 5mg tablets for 3 days, and slept well, then 6, then 5. When I got back to 4, though, I got scared, and began potentiating it with alcohol. I knew this was a bad idea, so saw a psychiatrist, and realized that it was worse than I thought, and I was putting myself in danger.

She prescribed Gabapentin and then, the following month, Trazodone.

I've been sleeping approx 8 hours/night since then, but I never really wake up feeling rested. I look in the mirror, and look tired to myself. I haven't felt the same (i.e. good) since I've been on Gabapentin, but at least I do sleep, and feel better than I did when getting 2 1/2 hours.

My wife assures me that I look fine. However, I don't feel fine. And last night, we had dinner with friend who mentioned that I looked tired. I was tired!

Since January, when I was put on Gabapentin, I've felt, virtually every day, a combination of tired and weird head feelings. But, again, at least I sleep, which wasn't happening immediately before that.

I think it's obvious that I'm in tolerance withdrawal, and the Gabapentin and Trazodone, although they do indeed help me sleep, are not nearly as good as diazepam, which I got along with fine. (Except for occasional nights, from 0 – early 20s, I slept fine, and slept well on diazepam ever since, till now.)

Aside from diazepam, I also take medications for digestive issues I've had since my 30s, and synthroid for hypothyroidism, which runs in my family. Also, on blood pressure medication since my early 50s, currently Micardis, an ARB.

Now, people are living longer and longer these days, and longevity seems to run in my family, with both my parents passing at 96, and their siblings also in their late 80s/early 90s. My last uncle is now in his late 80s.

Of course, being a baby boomer, and doing the things that many of us did, i.e. a variety of drugs, I have no idea if I will follow in their footsteps.

The initial reason I wanted to be off benzos, is because at some point in time, my current doctors will retire, I don't know what my situation will be, and I may find myself in a situation, maybe a nursing home in 20+ years down the road, or a hospital for one reason or another, or prescribing laws in the US may be such where I can't get them, and I will be in big trouble.

Now, I'm seeing my psychiatrist this Thursday. Last month, she suggested that I cut by 2.5 mg. I did not.

I came home, did some searches, discovered Ashton, and then this support group.

2.5 is way too much to start, and daily symptom-driven cuts seem the best way to go.

What's the alternative? I obviously can't stay on my current dose. I need to either go higher or taper. Don't know if going higher is feasible due to legal reasons, medical reasons and, also, I now realize that I may be doing myself ongoing harm. Not one physician in 40 years has told me I'm actually causing changes in my brain due to diazepam.

I should have tapered years ago, but I didn't know that. Now, I anticipate daily slow tapering starting later this week.

I look forward to being benzo free, sleeping well, and feeling well. But I also question whether  that can ever happen. I try and imagine receptors healing, being released from dependence, and feeling good. But I also wonder if it's too late in life, and I should try to keep increasing or do something else, whatever that may be.

Assuming I taper which, I believe, is likely, I'd love to hear, share, and give/receive support from other baby boomers. I don't know if interacting with others in this same stage of life is helpful or not. Maybe it doesn't matter. Let's see if any interest.

The gabapentin is a beast to get off of. 

Hugs,

Rabbit

Hi Mini,

First,  I just checked, and there's an Ativan thread here at:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=44903.0

Why won't your doctor let you cross over to diazepam, which is usually the preferred route?

Have you seen the Ashton manual? If not, it's online at

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

Frankly, IMHO, unless there's a good reason for it, this is YOUR taper, not your doctor's, and you should be able to taper in a way that you're comfortable with!

Do you want to cross over to Valium?

If so, then perhaps you could read up on Ashton, read info here on BB, and present it to your doctor.

If not, then, if it were me, I'd find another doc (a psychiatrist) who will help you cross over.

I wish you the very best of luck with this!!!!!

Best,

Steve

Hi, No I actually don't want valium.  I really want to snap my fingers and make this all go away.  :'(  I'll have to do the dry taper.  Thank you for responding.      mini