hello to all..i am new

[re...]

Hello,

here is my story last december i was having a chicken that i bought from the market and had a monster energy drink with it (been doing this for years), affter eating and drinking, i went to my room and added some weight to my barbell sets. My heart was already beating fast due to the large monster drink. I lifted tons of heavy weights maybe 15 mins or maybe 20 mins after drinking that energy drink, my heart started to beat even faster and i got a very bad headache as well. Right after lifting ( i was just not smart and ddin't know any better) I went to watch tv and drank another large monster tea drink.....My heart felt very bad, my head started to hurt more, i could not breathe and i fel that the lights were going out in my system.

I called the ambulance and begged that they save me, they came and they told me to relax and i was not going to die, i went to the hospital the next day and i was on IV hookup for fluid and at my 8th hour i was on antibiotics.

I came home and felt great for almost a year, then almost 3-4 months ago I started getting an upset stomach for 2 weeks, i felt it was food poisoning at firdt because i was very sick and stomach was very much in a bad shape. Then a doctor recommneded that I get on levaquin and flagyl at the same time, i took them and one night I started to have severe abdominal pain, my head was hurtining, my body was going cold and then hot and my face and nose started to feel numb, throat as well.

I called the ambulance again and went to the hospital er room. Then I went to see a doctor at another local hospital and he said that i had anxity attacks, all my life in my 30+ years I never had these issues, i never had a hard time breathing, nothing like this ever came to me till that last december and then 3-4 months ago that my stomach had that issue.

Well, now the doctor thtows out the idea that I should take ativan, he told me to take 2mg twice a day, i didn't know any better and i have never been an addict or somoker or drinker, i was a gym/lifter guy.

I take ativan 4 mg a day and i asked the doctor and he said ,"you can remain on this  as long as you like", poor me, i remained on it for almost 2 months at 4 mg a day, at first this was somewhat helping me, but then the dosage was too high for me and after reading tons of threads on this horrible pill, i knew that I had to do something to start getting off this pill. I was on this pil at 4 mg for almost 2 months, 4 days ago, i cut my 2 mg pill in half and took 1 mg in morning, 1 mg in the night.

I am trying to taper off this junk and get my life back, being on that 4 mg a day, blurred my vision, my memory was fading and i started to feel a bit scared when alone.

4 days ago i cut my dosage to 2 mg a day, and today this morning i cut that 1 mg pill in half and took it and plan on taking 1 full mg atnight, my goal is to remain on 1.5 mg for 5 days to a week and eventually get into 1 mg a day.

I haven't had any sleep all night as I type this to you wonderful people. The only good thing (which i think) is that I have only been on this horrible proble for 2 months, maybe i might be able to taper off faster, the only thing that I am scared off is having the shortness of breaths and a seizure ( i am 33 years old)

has anyone taper off quickly like this and felt a shortness or breathe or seizure?

please share your story, I am a person who has no one and no support and now have the fight of my life as you guys are, bless you all!

Hi, recover08,

Welcome to BB.  This is a wonderful forum and you will get alot of support.  Levaquin can cause alot of side effects (as can Flagyl).  I came off Xanax Aug 15th after taking it due to the toxic effects on my central nervous system(CNS) from Levaquin.  Shortness of breath is a common side effect of Levaquin and Ativan and is very bothersome.  A moderator should be with you shortly to get more info.  Hang tight and we will help you get through this.

Patty  xo

Hello, recover08.  ;D 

Welcome to BenzoBuddies. I sure wish you had joined before you reduced your ativan so quickly.  Since you read a lot about withdrawing from benzos, I'm curious about why you decided to go off so quickly.  Two months is NOT a short time to be on a benzo; a person can become dependent on them in as little as 2 weeks. In my opinion (IMO), you are tapering much to quickly.

I did not reduce my dosage as quickly as you did and did not have a seizure.  I actually don't know anyone who has had a seizure withdrawing from benzos.  It is much more likely if you had suddenly stopped all together and even then it's relatively rare.  Of course, if you have an underlying seizure disorder, a seizure is surely more likely.

As Patty said, breathlessness is a very common withdrawal symptom.  It is more a feeling of not getting enough air rather than an actual breathing restriction. It's still scary, though.  Sometimes just knowing that what you are feeling is due to benzo withdrawal (w/d) helps to allay fears that something is otherwise wrong.  You might want to check out the Ashton Manual online; it's full of info on the symptoms as well as suggestions for coping with them until your body returns to it's pre-benzo state.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm

To be quite honest with you, being on 2 mg was so hard on me, so i wanted to taper off as fast as i can, so being on 1.5 mg was my choice. I still feel pretty horrible and i will remain on the 1.5 mg for another week or so before i try for 1 mg a day, am I very wrong for doing this? Thank goodness my moms psychatric dr had the heart to listen to me on the phone this morning. I told him that I went down to 1.5 mg, and asked him if I am going to have life threatening issues since i reduced so quickly, he said to just see how it goes but no, i won't have life threatening issues.

I have don't or never had a seizure but that is just what i have read on many boards as it can happen once someone stops taking the benzos, i didn't know if lower the dosage would do the same.

The shortness of breath really scares me, i son't or never had asthma, and this bothers me that I have gotten shortness of breathe, is there anything that can be done to help fight this (besides getting on more/higher dosage of ativan? which i will not go back to).

i am currently taking more multivitamins and a special vitamin B formula and just eating waffles with no sugar as my food so i can eat lots of carbs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and bless this board for being here, i hope to help you guys as well.

Thanks

To be quite honest with you, being on 2 mg was so hard on me, so i wanted to taper off as fast as i can, so being on 1.5 mg was my choice. I still feel pretty horrible and i will remain on the 1.5 mg for another week or so before i try for 1 mg a day, am I very wrong for doing this? Thank goodness my moms psychatric dr had the heart to listen to me on the phone this morning. I told him that I went down to 1.5 mg, and asked him if I am going to have life threatening issues since i reduced so quickly, he said to just see how it goes but no, i won't have life threatening issues.

I have don't or never had a seizure but that is just what i have read on many boards as it can happen once someone stops taking the benzos, i didn't know if lower the dosage would do the same.

The shortness of breath really scares me, i son't or never had asthma, and this bothers me that I have gotten shortness of breathe, is there anything that can be done to help fight this (besides getting on more/higher dosage of ativan? which i will not go back to).

i am currently taking more multivitamins and a special vitamin B formula and just eating waffles with no sugar as my food so i can eat lots of carbs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and bless this board for being here, i hope to help you guys as well.

Thanks

Hi recover08,

We recommend cutting only 10% off your total daily dose every 7-14 days depending on how you are feeling. You went from 2mg to 1.5, this was a 25% cut. Your next stated cut to 1.0mg would be a 33% cut. Most people experience more intense w/d symptoms the bigger the percentage cut. The best advice is to let your body be your guide, you can always make your cuts smaller and wait longer between cuts if you start experiencing intolerable w/d symptoms.

Seizures are usually associated with abrupt withdrawal (cold turkey) and not if you are tapering.

As stoneyco stated, the shortness of breath is a common w/d symptom. It may be more pronounced with the higher cuts you are doing. I have not read of anything that can be done to alleviate this symptom.

As far as supplements, some people say they help and others say they make things worse. The only thing I have changed in regards to eating is to eat more foods higher in protein.

T2 :smitten:

Hi, recover08,

Unfortunately, there is nothing to help with the breathing besides trying to relax and do deep breathing exercises once you recover your breath.  All through my taper and after I stopped tapering I had hyperventilation (120 breaths per minute) and unable to catch my breath.  Just stop what you are doing, stand or sit still, and try to really relax.  You are getting enough oxygen so it is not life threatening but is very scary and uncomfortable.  Many members have had this symptom.  Please read the Aston Manual.  It will really help you.  You will read what symptoms may occur and will be able to handle them when they pop up.  I would also suggest you not make as big of a cut in the benzo.  Maybe cut .25 mg instead of .5 mg.  This forum suggests cutting only 10% every 1 to 2 weeks but just follow how your body handles the cuts.  I would wait until I had some sort of a window (feeling a little better) before making my next cut.  You don't want to make havoc on your body.  Tapering is not easy but as you probably have read it definately can be done with determination and support.  The members here will offer you LOTS of support.  It is also suggested not to take B vitamins as they can rev up the body.  The only thing I put in my body as far as meds was concerned was Tylenol and only if I had a very bad headache.  Seizures rarely occur and only occurs if you have stopped taking the benzo abruptly unless you have had a seizure disorder.  I think it was mentioned on this board that they never heard of anyone having a seizure on this site.  I wish you much success in your tapering program.  Remember, it is not a rush.

Patty  xo

Hey Recover08,

I just wanted to welcome you to BenzoBuddies. It looks like Beeper, Patty, and Theresa have already given you some great advice and answers to your questions. I am tapering off klonopin and I get the shortness of breath from time to time. To me, it's the worst withdrawal symptom I get. I try not to focus so much on my breathing when it happens, because I seem to make it worse by doing that. Sometimes, a slow walk outside for 20 minutes will help me. Most of the time, it lasts for 3 days and then goes away. But, we are all different when it comes to medication! I had my oxygen level checked many times when my breathing was difficult; always had plenty of oxygen, so I know it is a side effect of withdrawals. I wish you all the best in your taper. If you have any other questions or just need to vent....we're here for you!

Lori :smitten:

bless you all, i really mean that from the bottom of my heart, you guys on this board are saving lives and making changes that are positive, i will not go lower than my 1.5 mg for another 7-14 days, my only question is this, can i take my 1.5 mg spreadout through out the day.. 1  (.5) every 8 hour and then 1  (.5)every 8 hour and 1 (.5)every 8 hour, all equalling 1.5 mg, my math is poor so i don't know if it is .5 x 3 = 1.5 mg or .025 x 3 = 1.5 mg.

The reason i ask this is because i had half of 1mg pill at 9 am and then my body was going to start asking for it, i got in my car and traffic was so jammed and i started getting nervous so i took the 1 mg at 4 pm, now i know my body will be asking for it again hopefully in 12 hours but it will still be at an odd hour of 4 am.

again bless you all, and if this site accepts donation for the value you guys give please let me know, you guys are the best, all, the mods, and the members, thanks

bless you all, i really mean that from the bottom of my heart, you guys on this board are saving lives and making changes that are positive, i will not go lower than my 1.5 mg for another 7-14 days, my only question is this, can i take my 1.5 mg spreadout through out the day.. 1  (.5) every 8 hour and then 1  (.5)every 8 hour and 1 (.5)every 8 hour, all equalling 1.5 mg, my math is poor so i don't know if it is .5 x 3 = 1.5 mg or .025 x 3 = 1.5 mg.

The reason i ask this is because i had half of 1mg pill at 9 am and then my body was going to start asking for it, i got in my car and traffic was so jammed and i started getting nervous so i took the 1 mg at 4 pm, now i know my body will be asking for it again hopefully in 12 hours but it will still be at an odd hour of 4 am.

again bless you all, and if this site accepts donation for the value you guys give please let me know, you guys are the best, all, the mods, and the members, thanks

Hi recover08,

Ativan is a short acting benzo so yes it is best to take it every 8 hours consistently. You are currently on 1.5mg so yes that would be .50mg every eight hours. It would be better if you could get smaller tablets to make it easier to cut when you start reducing by smaller amounts if that is possible. It would be beneficial for you to read The Ashton Manual to help you further understand benzos. Beeper has already given you the link to it. If you have any more questions, just ask.

T2

Hey recover08,

I think it would be a great idea for you to take .5mg, three times a day (to total where you are at right now; 1.5mg). I take my klonopin twice a day. If you look at my signature box beneath my reply, it has my schedule. You can see the dates I cut and if I cut off the am or the pm dose. In my opinion, the tapering process can be easier to do if you split up your dose and take it 2 or 3 times a day. Most people seem to cut off their evening dose last in the rotation, because of sleep issues. It's up to you! You can't control what withdrawal symptoms you might get, but you CAN control when you cut and how much you cut. Again, we recommend 10% cuts, every 7-14 days, depending on how you are feeling.

bless you all, i really mean that from the bottom of my heart, you guys on this board are saving lives and making changes that are positive

I felt and still feel the same way as you about BenzoBuddies. It has been a godsend in my life.

Lori :smitten:

Thank you very much to all that replied, you guys are becoming more than buddies with me, you are family now  :thumbsup:, i am so glad to have found you guys, it will make my tapring process a lot easier and mentally I can be mor fit with all of your upbeat attitudes. I already had my .5 in the morning and 1 mg  at 4 pm pacific time, I will start going with .5 probably at 12 am tonight, and then .5 at 8 am, and then at 4pm  .5 and repeat my cycle for 7-14 days. thanks again and happy holloween and a safe one to all of you  :)

I have a question and i am sorry for asking so much, but i will contribute to this board as much as i can and will share my success when i get to kick this benzo issue, one of the strange things that goes on with me is that i get a sensation around my nose and throat at times, not total but lik numb feeling at times, does any one have any numbness when they are tapering off, i am tapering a bit quicker than usual but i promise to you guys that I stick with my 1.5 mg for 7-14 days. So does anyone ever get these feelings? some get muscle tension, could this kinda be in the same boat? Right now i have a mild headache, stomach is kinda annoying and lil bit of sensation comes near my throat and nose.

thanks for your support everyone.

I have a question and i am sorry for asking so much, but i will contribute to this board as much as i can and will share my success when i get to kick this benzo issue, one of the strange things that goes on with me is that i get a sensation around my nose and throat at times, not total but lik numb feeling at times, does any one have any numbness when they are tapering off, i am tapering a bit quicker than usual but i promise to you guys that I stick with my 1.5 mg for 7-14 days. So does anyone ever get these feelings? some get muscle tension, could this kinda be in the same boat? Right now i have a mild headache, stomach is kinda annoying and lil bit of sensation comes near my throat and nose.

Hi recover08,

Funny you should mention the numbness, I have been having that around my nose and upper lip for the last week or so. Never had it before. You will have some w/d symptoms that will come and go. Many here suffer IBS symptoms, including me. I had several headaches when I first started my taper, I only get one ocassionally now.

Hi recover08,

Funny you should mention the numbness, I have been having that around my nose and upper lip for the last week or so. Never had it before. You will have some w/d symptoms that will come and go. Many here suffer IBS symptoms, including me. I had several headaches when I first started my taper, I only get one ocassionally now.

Yea, this is what bothers me, getting these numb feelings and the very first time i got this a friend who didn't know better called them a stroke or seizure, no matter how difficult this tapering is i will go through it, it is the only way to get the life we deserve back.

my stomach is also going pretty crazy at the current moment and and not be rude...when i go to the bathroom the biggie one is very soft now, just how it is for me right now, hope it gets better.

Hope you feel better as well, the numbness..or ths sensation is not a fun thing to have..bless you  :)

I frequently have an odd feeling circling my mouth; feels a bit tingly and slightly numb.  It's just an odd feeling; I notice it's there and think "huh, another area is healing".  Muscle tension and gastrointestinal distress is also common.  There's a good description of why this happens in chapter 3 of the Ashton Manual.  Have you had a chance to look at it yet?  There's a lot of good information in there but it can be a bit overwhelming at first.  Just take it in small chunks and you will do great.  :thumbsup:                       

Hi, recover08,

I see you are getting a little more comfortable on this site.  It's great, ha?  I took my Xanax at 6a, 2p and 10p (for your information).

You really need to read the Ashton Manual.  It will explain all the symptoms to you.  I had over 50 symptoms during my withdrawal.  Numbness is a very common symptom.  I had numbness on the right side of my face and everyone is different where this numbness may hit.  It is nothing to worry about.  Muscle tightness, headaches and IBS (irritible bowel syndrome) are all very common.  Some people will only pass mucous or have watery stools and also alot of gas with stomach rumblings.  You may also have intermittant diarrhea with constipation.

By the way, do not up your dose or take an extra dose while tapering.  It can make your symptoms worse.  You are doing a great, great job.

Patty  xo

Hi, recover08,

I see you are getting a little more comfortable on this site.  It's great, ha?  I took my Xanax at 6a, 2p and 10p (for your information).

You really need to read the Ashton Manual.  It will explain all the symptoms to you.  I had over 50 symptoms during my withdrawal.  Numbness is a very common symptom.  I had numbness on the right side of my face and everyone is different where this numbness may hit.  It is nothing to worry about.  Muscle tightness, headaches and IBS (irritible bowel syndrome) are all very common.  Some people will only pass mucous or have watery stools and also alot of gas with stomach rumblings.  You may also have intermittant diarrhea with constipation.

By the way, do not up your dose or take an extra dose while tapering.  It can make your symptoms worse.  You are doing a great, great job.

Patty  xo

Thank you for your kind words, i am on my day 2 at 1.5 mg..i take .5 at 11pm, .5 at 7 am and .5 at 3 pm and the cycle repeats, the major thing with my tapering cycle is that i am falling asleep more which is what gets me, i am getting close to 14 hours a sleep a day now and i never slept more than 6 hours during my whole lifetime time and im in my 30s.

I was on 4 mg for 2 months and tapered a bit quicker and yes i just finished reading the ashton method (great read), when i was on that 4 mg i didn't sleep even close to the hours i sleep now, even at the very beginning. I am not depressed either but it just makes me sad that i cannot go to the gym and do my weightlifting like i used to, getting in my car and driving is hard for me now as well. did you or anyone else have a hard time driving while tapering or sleep more?

This board and you great people really are the only real support  i have, bless you all.

Hi!!

Just wanted to welcome you as well.  I've been away for a couple of days.  So glad you found us! 

I know what you are going through is very scarey...but it is very typical withdrawal symptoms.  The anxiety these drugs cause makes "normal" anxiety look like a walk in the park.  All of these symptoms will come and go.  Old ones will go away and new ones will pop up.  Keep your eye on the light at the end of this horrible tunnel!  Sometimes it's hard to see...but I swear it's there!

Love,

Jen

Hi, recover08,

I did not sleep well at all during my taper.  In a way, I envy you that you can sleep that long.  I did not work and I would have appreciated 14 hours of sleep.  My days were so-o-o long.  Hopefully, someone else will come by regarding this issue.  Talk to you soon.

Patty  xo

Hi recover08,

I took levaquin back in june for bronchitis.  I took one pill a day at 250mg each for 4 days and was supposed to take one more dose.  My side effects included, numbness, insomnia, racing thoughts, hot and cold flashes, ringing in ears, visual disturbances, photosensitivity, nightmares when I could sleep, loss of appetite (I lost a lot of weight during and after),  intense fear and paranoia, depression, and many more symptoms. One of the things that has hung around since then has been the numbness on my left cheek and sometimes near my mouth on that side.  It comes and goes throughout the week.  At the same time of taking the levaquin, I was taking Xanax and continued taking it for six weeks, both drugs started the same day, and that's a whole other story.  I think the numbness is from the levaquin, but since some of the lasting effects of levaquin and xanax overlap, I cannot be sure.

The guys on this forum are very knowledgable, caring and supportive, so keep coming here and letting us know how you're doing.  Hope you're feeling better today.

Nice to meet you,

Tammy

Hi recover08,

I took levaquin back in june for bronchitis.  I took one pill a day at 250mg each for 4 days and was supposed to take one more dose.  My side effects included, numbness, insomnia, racing thoughts, hot and cold flashes, ringing in ears, visual disturbances, photosensitivity, nightmares when I could sleep, loss of appetite (I lost a lot of weight during and after),  intense fear and paranoia, depression, and many more symptoms. One of the things that has hung around since then has been the numbness on my left cheek and sometimes near my mouth on that side.  It comes and goes throughout the week.  At the same time of taking the levaquin, I was taking Xanax and continued taking it for six weeks, both drugs started the same day, and that's a whole other story.  I think the numbness is from the levaquin, but since some of the lasting effects of levaquin and xanax overlap, I cannot be sure.

The guys on this forum are very knowledgable, caring and supportive, so keep coming here and letting us know how you're doing.  Hope you're feeling better today.

Nice to meet you,

Tammy

Pleasure meeting you and you are right on the money, i also took levaquin and it caused me to have exactly what u had and a nice trip to the ER in august, i was given this drug by doctors that just push drugs on people and then another ignorant doctor told me that i could be on ativan for as long as i like, and now i am in the taper process and trying to get my life back, i took levaquin+flagyl together, god bless this forum, i wish i knew about it before.

Hi Recover08,

I wanted to stop by and say hello. I see you have gottten lots of good advice. You will get off this, and you will be back to you old self in no time. Take it easy and be good to yourself. I 'll be looking forward to your progress. Good Luck  :thumbsup: Kel

Oh wow, ya, I did not do well on Levaquin either when I took it, and combined with flagyl? That's a big whopping dose of antibiotic. It took awhile, like 2 months for me to feel normal again after the Levaquin. Glad you found us.

Please read sotneyco's blog.  She had an adverse reaction to levaquin and that was her start with xanax.  She knows quite a bit about it and can tell you more.  She too has numbness.  She is a great support for the Levaquin/benzo experience.  She is Benzo free now and can share some of her experiences with you.

Good luck and take care!

mal

I took levaquin and flgyl together for 3 days at 3 times a day and my last dose got me that horrible numbness and hot/cold and severe abdmonial pain, and eventually an ambulance ride to the ER, although i only took levaquin for 3 days are my little numb feelings still because of that? or the benzo/ativan that i am tapering off now?