New Doctor prescribed Clonazepam to help get me off Ativan

[Jo...]

I have been on 1mg twcie a day of ativan for a couple years.  I had a medical treatment and at one time 5 years ago I was up to 7mg per day total of ativan.  I just can't seem to get off of them.  I get weird and I seem to have no control of my expressions and body language at times.  I am in sales and need to control myself. 

A new doctor said that even though I am taking the non subligual ativan, they still only last 4 hours.  I seem to think that is wrong because I know if I have taken extra on day, they seem to hit me the next day.  So now I have been taking 4 .05mg ativan per day.  My doctor said that two .05 Clonazepam would do the same as 4 .05 Ativan.  Because they last 12 hours.  She says they are easier to get off of also. 

She did give me some more ativan.  For now, I am taking two .05 ativan and 2 .05 clonazepam. 

This is the first time I have heard this information.  Anyone with any experience in this?

Hi, Jodster.

Yes, I have heard of docs, mostly in the US, prescribing Klonopin to substitute for shorter acting benzos like Xanax and Ativan.  Btw, by takin .5 mg Klono along with 2 .5mg Ativan you've greatly increased the amount of benzo you are taking.  The equivalence we use is .5mg klono = 1mg Ativan, so you are taking the equivalent of 3 mg Ativan.  If it was just a mistake and not your intention to in erase your dosage some 50%, you can use just one .5mg klono plus the 2 0.5mg Ativan.