Which is stronger, 1.0 mg Ativan/lorazepam or 1.0 mg of Xanax?

[ro...]

Is it harder to taper down from loraz or xanax?  About the same? Are they equivilent to 10mg. of valium?  I see alot of both of these tapers.  Just wondering what Im dealing with.as regards to the Xanax. Thank you buddies

Xanax is about twice as strong as Ativan and about half as long lasting so I would say it's the hard of the two to taper from.

1 mg of Xanax equals 20 mg of valium. 1 mg of Ativan equals 10 mg of V. Xanax is much harder to taper off of. It's more potent and has a very short half life. Betsy

its definitely more potent and as betsy pointed out the more important factor is the half life ..... enzymes are created to take care of the medication , leading to an earlier and more wicked inter dose withdrawal.... it s a lot of physiology to get a grasp of whats going on ... but xanax is by far the most atrocious .... however they all suck .....

1 mg of Xanax equals 20 mg of valium. 1 mg of Ativan equals 10 mg of V. Xanax is much harder to taper off of. It's more potent and has a very short half life. Betsy

I didn't know that.  It helps me understand why I felt so horrible between doses when I was actively taking Xanax.

Aha. Thanks beeper and benzogirl and other buddies. Valuable information. You hear so much , you wonder. I also wondered about klonopin. I know many take that and have difficult tapers. They are all nasty!  Hope I can safely do my taper, as I ust to ativan. I don't think dr. will switch me.

its definitely more potent and as betsy pointed out the more important factor is the half life ..... enzymes are created to take care of the medication , leading to an earlier and more wicked inter dose withdrawal.... it s a lot of physiology to get a grasp of whats going on ... but xanax is by far the most atrocious .... however they all suck .....

mymissingmoon

You got that right 100%. Betsy