Left hand and arm numb and tingling

[Be...]

Hi All/Anyone:  I am on day two of my second taper and my left hand and arm is numb and tingling and has been this way all day.  Is this just another withdrawal symptom?  My first taper went pretty well.  And, by well, I don't mean symptom free, but manageable.  I had a terrible time concentrating the first two days, terrible headaches, and anxiety set in on day 5 which surprised me.  But, I was still able to work and most of all I SLEPT!!  :yippee: 

Thanks

BenzoFree4Me

Hi All/Anyone:  I am on day two of my second taper and my left hand and arm is numb and tingling.  Is this just another withdrawal symptom?  My first taper went pretty well.  And, by well, I don't mean symptom free, but manageable.  I had a terrible time concentrating the first two days, terrible headaches, and anxiety set in on day 5 which surprised me.  But, I was still able to work and most of all I SLEPT!!  :yippee: 

Thanks

BenzoFree4Me

Hi Benzofree4me,

The symptoms that you are asking about all can be contributed to withdrawal symptoms. Sometimes the symptoms change from one cut to another. If you think there is any danger of being something else, you should consult with a doctor. I am providing an excerpt from The Ashton Manual regarding bodily sensations below, hope this helps! Take care! You are doing great!

T2 :smitten:

Bodily sensations. All sorts of strange tinglings, pins and needles, patches of numbness, feelings of electric shocks, sensations of hot and cold, itching, and deep burning pain are not uncommon during benzodiazepine withdrawal. It is difficult to give an exact explanation for these sensations but, like motor nerves, the sensory nerves, along with their connections in the spinal cord and brain, become hyperexcitable during withdrawal. It is possible that sensory receptors in skin and muscle, and in the tissue sheaths around bones, may fire off impulses chaotically in response to stimuli that do not normally affect them.

In my clinic, nerve conduction studies in patients with such symptoms revealed nothing abnormal - for example, there was no evidence of peripheral neuritis. However, the symptoms were sometimes enough to puzzle neurologists. Three patients with a combination of numbness, muscle spasms and double vision were diagnosed as having multiple sclerosis. This diagnosis, and all the symptoms, disappeared soon after the patients stopped their benzodiazepines.

Thus these sensory symptoms, though disconcerting, are usually nothing to worry about. Very occasionally, they may persist (see section on protracted symptoms). Meanwhile, the same measures suggested under muscle symptoms (above) can do much to alleviate them, and they usually disappear after withdrawal.

Hi there Benzo Free For Me. I had the exact same thing! Except my whole left side would go numb and tingly! It will go away! I've been benzo free since feb. 4th! But I promise you this! What you are going through is normal! I had terrible headaches, and pains behind my eyes. I had numbness, tingling, sweating, shortness of breathe etc. I know it's hard buddy! But you can do it! There will be times when your very uncomfortable, and you wanna just jump out of your skin. But you can do it! Don't fight it! Accept it! And know that you will get better! Keep yourself occupied and do things to take your mind off of things! Remember to run and excersice if you can! That helped me out greatly!  If you have any concerns write back o.k.!

~Geoffrey~

Thanks Theresa for the excerpt from the Ashton Manual!  I guess the good part of the numbness and tingling is that it is on my left side, and I am right handed  :) 

Thanks too, Geoffrey!!  I can't wait until I too am benzo free.  But, I guess after 16 years with, my body will do some strange things without the meds.  I do try to remember as someone posted to think of these symptoms has healing! 

Benzofree4me