No longer able to wear contacts?

[Ja...]

I have been tapering for over a year. A few months ago I got severe iritis and had to wear glasses for a month and take steroid drops. I went back to contacts a month ago and now the other eye is so scratchy and dry, I have to take them out again. Before this I have been wearing them for 10+ years with out one problem. Anyone else have to stop wearing contacts while tapering? Thanks!

How much K are you taking now if you don't mind me asking?

My vision has gotten dramatically worse since I tapered.  I have to wear glasses now.  I'm close to 50 and got lasik vision correction 12 years ago.  I also have had severe irritation of my right eye.

"Vision disturbances" are one of the side effects reported in the Ashton manual.

I'm holding at .125.  I was at .09 last week but had to bump up. 

Forcing my way back down now.

I had to stop wearing contacts about 5 years ago because, I thought, it was just my eyes becoming dryer. Now I am certain it was the Benzos. There are contacts for people with sensitive and dry eyes. Could you wear those?

I don't wear contacts, but my eyes are so dry they burn. They always look red and irritated. Very frustrating. I use drops to help with dryness, but they do nothing.

Thanks for the responses. I am currently at .158 mgs. I def think it is related to benzos. I have glasses so I guess I will just have to wear those for now but I am not used to it and love my contacts. When I go back to the eye doctor for my check up I think I will ask about different contacts. I just wanted to see if it is a benzo thing and it seems like it is. My eye is red, irritated, and burns also. It was watering all day today until I took out the contact. Thanks again for your input!

I had to quit contact lenses early in my taper due to dryness and irritation that was not relieved by eye drops. The eye dryness is not surprising considering that it is a side effect of most benzos. I am hoping that once this is over I can wear contacts again.

Thank you New Moon! I am sorry you are dealing with this as well but glad I am not alone. I guess I am "lucky" I made it this far with my contacts in! Of course, I didn't even have glasses so I had to get a rush order. I am so not used to glasses and just hate them! It is what it is I suppose. Wd symptoms could be much worse than having to wear glasses. Thanks again!

I made a decision long before my taper to switch back to glasses, as I knew the dry eyes would be a problem for me. And they are. Betsy

I stop wearing contacts about 6 weeks ago too - I'm pretty bummed about it because my eyes are really sensitive in bright light and I don't have prescription sunglasses. But being in the sunlight helps my mood - I hate benzo's  >:(

add me to the list, had to stop wearing contacts over a year ago, extreme dry eye. I hate wearing glasses all the time but I couldn't bare to have contacts on for even an hour now.

even with glasses my eyes blur and burn all the time

• 2 weeks later...
Lainey - I hear you....I hate wearing my glasses too! Especially because I find the sun so bothersome. So when I want to look really cool I put sunglasses on OVER my glasses. I hate benzo's  >:(

• 2 weeks later...
believe it or not, Walmart has the sunglasses that fit over your own glasses that are actually modern and no one can tell they are over glasses....Was so happy to find these

believe it or not, Walmart has the sunglasses that fit over your own glasses that are actually modern and no one can tell they are over glasses....Was so happy to find these

ARE YOU SERIOUS??!!! That is amazing! I will definitely be looking for those! Were they in the optomatrist cove or sunglasses?!!