Supplements to Combat Anxiety

[Li...]

Hey all, my anxiety is through the roof since I also stopped the birth control pill.  Have heard some of you mention homeopathic supplements that help.  How does Calms Forte work?  Any risk in trying it?

Are there any others you might recommend?

I'm not sure how Calms Forte works.  It's a homeopathic remedy so I doubt there's any risk in taking it as directed.  I sometimes took as many as 3 tablets at a time for extreme anxiety and I do believe it helped.  I was surprised to find it in my regular drugstore (Walgreens).

• 1 month later...
What really works for me is Raw Milk. It took a little while for my stomach to be ready for it, but it really, really helped cool down my spinning brain. Regular milk still makes me sick but the Raw is great!!!Not a supplement, but a food that helps. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My husband and Ihave used different things off and on.  We have a Whole Foods Market (mostly organic stuff) near us with a large section of this stuff.  There is stuff out there called Quietude - sublingal tabs - kava kava, donquay tea (good during PMS)  you just have to try and see what works.  Acupucture, massage, meditation yoga or anything that you find calming will have an effect.  Even food can calm.  Stay away from hot and spicey!!!  All this stuff works on an accumulated base.  It takes time, unfortuneatly but you can chip away at it little by little

Good Luck

I vaguely remembered that there was something dangerous about kava kava (which I used to use years) ago so I looked it up.  This is from the National Institute of Health website on kava kava (I didn't look up the others; you'll all need to research them for yourselves):

What the Science Says

Although scientific studies provide some evidence that kava may be beneficial for the management of anxiety, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a warning that using kava supplements has been linked to a risk of severe liver damage.

Kava is not a proven therapy for other uses.

NCCAM-funded studies on kava were suspended after the FDA issued its warning.

Side Effects and Cautions

Kava has been reported to cause liver damage, including hepatitis and liver failure (which can cause death).

Kava has been associated with several cases of dystonia (abnormal muscle spasm or involuntary muscle movements). Kava may interact with several drugs, including drugs used for Parkinson's disease.

Long-term and/or heavy use of kava may result in scaly, yellowed skin.

Avoid driving and operating heavy machinery while taking kava because the herb has been reported to cause drowsiness.

Tell your health care providers about any complementary and alternative practices you use. Give them a full picture of what you do to manage your health. This will help ensure coordinated and safe care.

Sources

National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Kava Linked to Liver Damage. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine Web site. Accessed at http://nccam.nih.gov/health/alerts/kava/ on July 10, 2007.

Kava. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database Web site. Accessed on July 5, 2007.

Kava (Piper methysticum G. Forst). Natural Standard Database Web site. Accessed on July 3, 2007.

Kava kava rhizome (root). In: Blumenthal M, Goldberg A, Brinckman J, eds. Herbal Medicine: Expanded Commission E Monographs. Newton, MA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2000:221–225.

Kava (Piper methysticum). In: Coates P, Blackman M, Cragg G, et al., eds. Encyclopedia of Dietary Supplements. New York, NY: Marcel Dekker; 2005:373–380.

U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Kava-Containing Dietary Supplements May Be Associated With Severe Liver Injury. U.S. Food and Drug Administration Web site. Accessed on July 10, 2007.

Hey all, my anxiety is through the roof since I also stopped the birth control pill.  Have heard some of you mention homeopathic supplements that help.  How does Calms Forte work?  Any risk in trying it?

Are there any others you might recommend?

I tried Calms Forte soon after I completed my taper and it didnt help at all, it didnt make me any worst but beings it didn't help calm me down I saw no point in using it any longer.

Kava kava works well.  Just make sure you only buy only the kava root.  The reports of liver damage were caused by supplement makers including the leaves and stems in their products.  The leaves and stems of the kava plant contain pipermethystine, which is harmful to the liver.

Keep in mind that you'll probably want to avoid kava during benzo withdrawal since kava works on the same GABA receptors.

• 4 weeks later...

For me anyway, Kava is a no no.  It works much like a benzo.

I hardly ever have panic attacks now at almost 4 months out, except when my son has a serious asthma attack.  I used to have them daily, sometimes many times per day.  I take Bach flower remedies, cod liver oil, magnesium, and evening primrose oil for my brain health.  I also see a reflexologist on a regular basis, which helps more than anything else.  I feel that my system is balancing out much faster than if I were not doing reflexology and taking the supplements. 

Rescue remedy is wonderful for full-blown panic attacks.

learning how to breathe and coping skills has helped whenever I had anxiety issues, just know it doesnt last that long and that you shall be ok.