Concern over Katona TV appearance

[Ma...]

Concern over Katona TV appearance

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45131000/jpg/_45131813_katona226.jpg

Katona was promoting her MTV reality show, Whole Again

An erratic appearance by former pop star Kerry Katona on ITV show This Morning caused viewers to call in with concerns about her behaviour.

The 28-year-old, who was publicising her new MTV reality show, slurred her words during the interview.

Host Phillip Schofield said: "You don't seem right to me... Your speech is a bit slurred, how are you feeling?"

Katona seemed surprised by his question but blamed prescription drugs she had taken to help her sleep.

Drink problem

All it is is my medication. I've never been happier, I swear to God

Kerry Katona

The former Atomic Kitten star said she had been taking Chlorpromazine, which is an anti-psychotic drug.

Schofield said: "Our phone has already gone in the gallery from people in ITV who've said 'is she okay?'

Katona insisted she was "absolutely fine".

She added: "All it is is my medication. I've never been happier, I swear to God, healthwise I'm fine."

The star has previously battled drug addiction and depression, spending time in rehab for both.

Addictive personality

Referring to a recent magazine article which suggested Katona had been seen drinking while in Marbella for a photo-shoot, the show's co-host Fern Britton asked whether the star had developed a drink problem.

Schofield and Britton said viewers would be concerned for Katona

"A lot of people say when you have an addictive personality and you get rid of one addiction it's replaced with another. Is it alcohol?" she said.

"No not at all, I was on holiday in Spain, I'm allowed to have a drink aren't I? So would that mean I'm an alcoholic?" Katona replied.

Schofield said they were "merely pointing" what viewers would be thinking as Katona appeared so "different to the person we knew a few years ago".

An ITV spokesperson said Katona arrived late on set before her live interview.

"Sometimes with live television you don't get a huge amount of time with guests," he said.

He admitted the few people who had spent time with her before she went on had "cause for concern" but it was only when she was in the studio that her "speech appeared slurred".

While chlorpromazine (a/k/a thorazine) is not a benzo, this is interesting that so many people called in to express concern for her.  I've seen celebraties on tv who seemed "drunk" and possibly were feeling the effects of psych meds, instead.  You never know.

Kathie,

it makes you wonder if this will lead to her being put on benzo's, when the doc's decide it's time for her to come off  them.

The poor girl is a total mess. And after her latest telly appearance no doubt the medics will step in to help her and drug her to the gills even more...Pill, after pill, after pill, after pill.....

I dunno what the This Morning producers were even thinking to allow her on screen in the state she was in, slurring her words and almost unable to string a coherent sentence together. Very irresponsible on their part.  Makes good telly, I guess. I hope she can get some non-chemical support. God love her... :(

OMG  ,,,,,she was put on thorizine....that stuff will knock you out fast and you wouldnt even know what hit you......bad stuff that is >:(.....poor girl >:(

I hated the hypocricy of Fern Britton when she said to that kid "have you replaced one addiction for another?"...I wanted to strangle her with her gastric band!...... >:(

Kerry needs TLC. She's been through a lot.... :(