Author Topic: Menopause/Hormonal Support  (Read 94995 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Menopause/Hormonal Support
« Reply #1430 on: March 21, 2021, 03:37:50 pm »
[...], there are many horror stories about almost anything. This is why I like to make decisions based on science. Bio-identical hormones can be a great healer when used properly, but hormones whether external or internal, can become imbalanced as well. Best of luck to you.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #1431 on: March 21, 2021, 04:02:38 pm »
I'm traumatized by my period, just plain traumatized, I live in fear when I'm going to get it.
I get the most excruciating headaches a few days before and a few days in.
I mean that they are so bad, I scream for hours, sometimes I want to go to the hospital, as I fear I've had a stroke, but I don't as the new variant is rampant here in my area, so I stay home and suffer!

Keep letting us know how you're doing Fluffer!

[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #1432 on: March 21, 2021, 05:47:28 pm »
[...], there are many horror stories about almost anything. This is why I like to make decisions based on science. Bio-identical hormones can be a great healer when used properly, but hormones whether external or internal, can become imbalanced as well. Best of luck to you.
Thank you for your reply.
I made a friend on benzo buddies. She is no longer here as in a member.
She was on 13 mg of progesterone cream, she tapered to 11 mg and she’s became incapacitated.
I asked her why she just didn’t stay on it.
She told me she was starting to become tolerant to it and was experiencing withdrawals in the same way as benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms.
This is why I want to come off the progesterone.
I want to avoid tolerance withdrawal to progesterone.
Lots of women on here are tapering progesterone, however they have the cream and it is easy with the cream, being in the UK I  only have the capsules and it is impossible to taper from them. The cream is not available on the NHS.
I just want to be pharmaceutical free.

[Buddie]

« Reply #1433 on: March 22, 2021, 05:48:44 pm »
Oh [...], I feel your pain quite literally! I have a wave starting on day 21 and lasting 10 days every stupid cycle! I am on day 9 now, and I feel like I cannot go on. Mental torture beyond belief.

I know that people think I am ridiculous for always looking for answers and ways to ease the suffering a little, but I just can't help it. I have been studying hormones a lot, curious about the whole progesterone thing. Those menstruating obviously make a lot of it for around 2 weeks every month, and have to suffer tolerance and withdrawals. I had smooth cycles and never a problem before now, so I know my brain can find its way back.

I wondered how I could flare at the peak of my progesterone cycle. Progesterone makes allopregnanolone, which is a healing, calming neurosteroid. I should be happiest at this point.

Well, as it turns out, progesterone is a GABA antagonist before conversion! Ack! It is converted by 5-alpha reductase and a second enzyme to allopregnanolone. With age and stress, these enzymes go down. Lot's of things can make them slower too, including some foods and supplements. So, if this system is slow, you get a progesterone build up without getting the allopregnanolone. Getting high body temps during the luteal phase is a clue. Mine are really, really high.

Speeding up this enzyme is harder. Glycine can do it (found in collagen - natural way is bone broth or gelatin), and sorghum. Anyway, I am not sure I can change it, but at least I understand why. Prozac, Zoloft, and Celexa increase the second enzyme, but SSRIs make me crazy. Theoretically, a tiny dose should work. Still, I'm too scared...

Then, during the last 3 days, you begin withdrawing. In theory, progesterone in small doses for those three days can help, but only if you can convert it! If not, well, it's a not-so-fun withdrawal lasting 3-6 days (if you are lucky).

As for progesterone cream, I think it's nasty. It accumulates in tissues and releases estrogen from cells. It never gets turned into allopregnenolone but can cause some GABA problems. Some people found it the key to their healing while others find it a nightmare.

[...], can you release the contents of the capsule into smaller capsules? That is what I do with mine.

I continue to research, if only to understand. [...] someone finds this interesting. Hoping I survive this wave. Feeling defeated, like giving up these days. I don't know how to go on.

[Buddie]

« Reply #1434 on: March 22, 2021, 06:05:43 pm »
Oh [...], I feel your pain quite literally! I have a wave starting on day 21 and lasting 10 days every stupid cycle! I am on day 9 now, and I feel like I cannot go on. Mental torture beyond belief.

I know that people think I am ridiculous for always looking for answers and ways to ease the suffering a little, but I just can't help it. I have been studying hormones a lot, curious about the whole progesterone thing. Those menstruating obviously make a lot of it for around 2 weeks every month, and have to suffer tolerance and withdrawals. I had smooth cycles and never a problem before now, so I know my brain can find its way back.

I wondered how I could flare at the peak of my progesterone cycle. Progesterone makes allopregnanolone, which is a healing, calming neurosteroid. I should be happiest at this point.

Well, as it turns out, progesterone is a GABA antagonist before conversion! Ack! It is converted by 5-alpha reductase and a second enzyme to allopregnanolone. With age and stress, these enzymes go down. Lot's of things can make them slower too, including some foods and supplements. So, if this system is slow, you get a progesterone build up without getting the allopregnanolone. Getting high body temps during the luteal phase is a clue. Mine are really, really high.

Speeding up this enzyme is harder. Glycine can do it (found in collagen - natural way is bone broth or gelatin), and sorghum. Anyway, I am not sure I can change it, but at least I understand why. Prozac, Zoloft, and Celexa increase the second enzyme, but SSRIs make me crazy. Theoretically, a tiny dose should work. Still, I'm too scared...

Then, during the last 3 days, you begin withdrawing. In theory, progesterone in small doses for those three days can help, but only if you can convert it! If not, well, it's a not-so-fun withdrawal lasting 3-6 days (if you are lucky).

As for progesterone cream, I think it's nasty. It accumulates in tissues and releases estrogen from cells. It never gets turned into allopregnenolone but can cause some GABA problems. Some people found it the key to their healing while others find it a nightmare.

[...], can you release the contents of the capsule into smaller capsules? That is what I do with mine.

I continue to research, if only to understand. [...] someone finds this interesting. Hoping I survive this wave. Feeling defeated, like giving up these days. I don't know how to go on.
I am sorry you are suffering so badly.
I don’t think you are ridiculous I think you are looking for answers.
Thank you for the suggestion regarding the capsules unfortunately I cannot do this. There are white capsules filled with white fluid.

[Buddie]

« Reply #1435 on: April 25, 2021, 03:14:00 am »

Re: Menstrual Support Group
« Reply #1756 on: April 25, 2021, 03:12:19 am »
QuoteModifyRemove
Hi- Has anyone lost their period during the taper? I have been taper 29 months very slowly down to 2.75mg now. Over a year ago around the 6mg mark I lost my period never to return. I was doing a set daily micro taper where I pull the same amount out and discard everyday. I noticed my % was really creeping up to 9% so six week ago I slowed to 6%. I thought slowing would help with symptoms but it seems my body really isn’t reacting well to the change after doing the same thing for a few years. About four weeks into the slower rate I started getting pms symptoms and took it as a good thing but my period never came and now I am [...] with more hormonal, mood, physical pain, vibration head pain than ever before.  Lots of crying which I never really do. Before this was my mood was pretty good just had physical symptoms and extreme fatigue. Now I feel an underlying rage where I am going to freak out and pull my hair off my head at any given moment. Seems hormonal, has this happened to anyone.

[Buddie]

« Reply #1436 on: April 25, 2021, 10:01:30 am »

QuoteModifyRemove
Hi- Has anyone lost their period during the taper? I have been taper 29 months very slowly down to 2.75mg now. Over a year ago around the 6mg mark I lost my period never to return. I was doing a set daily micro taper where I pull the same amount out and discard everyday. I noticed my % was really creeping up to 9% so six week ago I slowed to 6%. I thought slowing would help with symptoms but it seems my body really isn’t reacting well to the change after doing the same thing for a few years. About four weeks into the slower rate I started getting pms symptoms and took it as a good thing but my period never came and now I am [...] with more hormonal, mood, physical pain, vibration head pain than ever before.  Lots of crying which I never really do. Before this was my mood was pretty good just had physical symptoms and extreme fatigue. Now I feel an underlying rage where I am going to freak out and pull my hair off my head at any given moment. Seems hormonal, has this happened to anyone.
Benzos affect a lot of things, including hormones.
I am on hrt and nearly 55 years of age, I have had a few episodes of abnormal vaginal bleeding and this lead to scans and an exploratory operation to rule out cancer. I am awaiting another scan.
I am sure its the benzo as the bleeds lessen in severity as my dose gets lower.
I am no expert though.
I would advise you to see your doctor, not to scare you, just so you have a professional opinion. I put it off and I needn't have worried as I did not have womb cancer.
Good luck with your taper.

[Buddie]

« Reply #1437 on: April 25, 2021, 03:15:10 pm »

QuoteModifyRemove
I am on hrt and nearly 55 years of age, I have had a few episodes of abnormal vaginal bleeding and this lead to scans and an exploratory operation to rule out cancer. I am awaiting another scan.
I am no expert though.
I would advise you to see your doctor, not to scare you, just so you have a professional opinion. I put it off and I needn't have worried as I did not have womb cancer.

Thank you!

[Buddie]

« Reply #1438 on: April 25, 2021, 03:38:11 pm »

QuoteModifyRemove
I am no expert though.

Thank you!
You're welcome

[Buddie]

« Reply #1439 on: April 25, 2021, 04:37:44 pm »
[...], I was just thinking about you and the hrt. Are you still planning to get off progesterone?

I know you said you have liquid capsules. I was wondering if you could empty the capsule into another liquid like olive oil (for example - 10ml olive oil with one capsule) then taper it slowly using a liquid syringe) similar to liquid benzo tapering but with oil (since progesterone is usually in oil). Just a thought. I [...] you are doing well.