Author Topic: Menopause/Hormonal Support  (Read 94994 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Menopause/Hormonal Support
« Reply #1420 on: December 02, 2020, 04:38:59 am »
I'm new to the board, so have a bit of catching up to do. My experience with perimenopause, birth control and monthly withdrawal has just started coming together for me.

I'm 40, and peri kicked in HARD in January. It did not let up. Panic attacks, all day sweats, night sweats I had to wake up and change from, constant nausea, weird periods, you name it. I felt like i was dying. Nothing helped.  Actually, it's why I got hooked on benzos! Yay!

I found a gynecologist who believed me (first hurdle), because i am young for this to start. She put me on a combo birth control pill with a high dose of both synthetic estrogen and progesterone. After a couple of months, the sweats stopped and the nausea. No night sweats and sleep improved. As did body aches. Didnt have to pee every 5 seconds either. Her plan was to override my fluctuating rollercoaster hormones entirely and give me a nice flat, constant level.

Except it seems that my body is fighting back. My testosterone has increased to the point where we are treating it to lower it. I also rarely, if ever, stop bleeding. It's not a period or anything like it but its constantly there.

The most obnoxious is that, despite skipping the sugar pills, I get pms every month and during that time I go into benzo withdrawal. My boobs hurt. I bleed slightly heavier. My body aches like I have the flu and severe nausea comes back. Headaches...I mean, you name it. I'm stuck in bed.  It's a pms/withdrawal cocktail!  She says my body is predicting the timing and hormones are breaking through.

I have had hormones tested NOT during the pms windows. The bc pills are suppressing my own as they should. I have yet to figure out what's going on during the pms windows. Guess that's next steps. It can never be simple, can it?
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #1421 on: December 12, 2020, 07:40:52 pm »
I am using biest and progesterone creams. So far they really seem to have helped my menopausal symptoms. Especially the biest. It has been keeping my estradiol level at ~100 which is enough to stave off symptoms. I don’t notice much of anything from the progesterone but I did have higher anxiety when I first started using it.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #1422 on: December 22, 2020, 02:33:41 am »
I'm 47 and in perimenopause and am in hell.
I have periods every three weeks.
I only feel functional for 1.5-2 weeks out of the month if I am lucky.
Feel to scared and worn out to try hormones. I've been off benzos 2 years and wasn't in perimenopause before this. I'm so scared this is going to be my life here on out where I feel psychotic or physically ill.

[Buddie]

« Reply #1423 on: December 22, 2020, 11:15:52 pm »
[...], at two years out I think you should consider slowly starting hormones to heal. Have some testing and maybe test allopregnanolone too. Some women feel like this was the final stage needed to heal.

[Buddie]

« Reply #1424 on: December 24, 2020, 08:14:09 pm »
Has anyone tried bio-identical hormones?  I jumped in June 2017. I've had hot flashes around the clock ~1/hour since I started weaning off in 2015 - over 5 yeas now.  I'm wondering if it's safe to try bio-identical hormones.  I went through menopause many years ago. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #1425 on: February 03, 2021, 02:21:45 am »
Hi everyone,
I'm brand new to this board. My story is a bit like [...] and I would appreciate any advice.

I'm 41, and 22 months off Klonopin. I've been [...] for 8 straight months and in a terrible wave the past 6 weeks. Symptoms include insomnia, anxiety, head pressure and electricity, headaches, air hunger, and night sweats. My periods are very regular and my cycle is every 24-26 day days. I just got results that my estradiol is <5.0 and my FSH is 23. I also have Graves Disease since 2017, which is under control. I should also note that my Benzo symptoms are always so much worse around my period—like being back in acute. I'm talking to my doctor Friday but would like to come prepared with info.

Are these hormonal changes a result of withdrawal/recovery or is it actual peri-menopause? Does it matter? Could taking something resolve most of my issues or trigger more symptoms? The past 3.5 years of my tapering/recovery [...] have been hell and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed right now by the thought of feeling even worse, or starting a hormone regimen that could last for years. When I was on birth control in my 20s (pre-Benzos), I felt like a monster and had terrible mood swings.

Does anyone have any insights? Thank you so much!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 02:31:50 am by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #1426 on: February 03, 2021, 05:31:26 pm »
Hi everyone,
I'm brand new to this board. My story is a bit like [...] and I would appreciate any advice.

I'm 41, and 22 months off Klonopin. I've been [...] for 8 straight months and in a terrible wave the past 6 weeks. Symptoms include insomnia, anxiety, head pressure and electricity, headaches, air hunger, and night sweats. My periods are very regular and my cycle is every 24-26 day days. I just got results that my estradiol is <5.0 and my FSH is 23. I also have Graves Disease since 2017, which is under control. I should also note that my Benzo symptoms are always so much worse around my period—like being back in acute. I'm talking to my doctor Friday but would like to come prepared with info.

Are these hormonal changes a result of withdrawal/recovery or is it actual peri-menopause? Does it matter? Could taking something resolve most of my issues or trigger more symptoms? The past 3.5 years of my tapering/recovery [...] have been hell and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed right now by the thought of feeling even worse, or starting a hormone regimen that could last for years. When I was on birth control in my 20s (pre-Benzos), I felt like a monster and had terrible mood swings.

Does anyone have any insights? Thank you so much!

Sounds like we are in the same spot. On my period now and can't get out of bed. Feel like death and so depressed. My periods are every 21-25 days and this one came at 20 and I couldn't even go to work today. I have a naturopath who wants to try hormones but I am scared to death. Sorry you are having a hard time too. Feel free to [...] me if you would like.

[Buddie]

« Reply #1427 on: March 20, 2021, 11:09:44 pm »
I'm new to the board, so have a bit of catching up to do. My experience with perimenopause, birth control and monthly withdrawal has just started coming together for me.

I'm 40, and peri kicked in HARD in January. It did not let up. Panic attacks, all day sweats, night sweats I had to wake up and change from, constant nausea, weird periods, you name it. I felt like i was dying. Nothing helped.  Actually, it's why I got hooked on benzos! Yay!

I found a gynecologist who believed me (first hurdle), because i am young for this to start. She put me on a combo birth control pill with a high dose of both synthetic estrogen and progesterone. After a couple of months, the sweats stopped and the nausea. No night sweats and sleep improved. As did body aches. Didnt have to pee every 5 seconds either. Her plan was to override my fluctuating rollercoaster hormones entirely and give me a nice flat, constant level.

Except it seems that my body is fighting back. My testosterone has increased to the point where we are treating it to lower it. I also rarely, if ever, stop bleeding. It's not a period or anything like it but its constantly there.

The most obnoxious is that, despite skipping the sugar pills, I get pms every month and during that time I go into benzo withdrawal. My boobs hurt. I bleed slightly heavier. My body aches like I have the flu and severe nausea comes back. Headaches...I mean, you name it. I'm stuck in bed.  It's a pms/withdrawal cocktail!  She says my body is predicting the timing and hormones are breaking through.

I have had hormones tested NOT during the pms windows. The bc pills are suppressing my own as they should. I have yet to figure out what's going on during the pms windows. Guess that's next steps. It can never be simple, can it?
Hello
Progesterone is crossmtolerant with benzodiazepines.
Do you find that the symptoms are worse when you are taking the non-progesterone pills each month?
If so this is because progesterone acts like a benzodiazepine and your gaba receptors are asking for more of the progesterone.
I made the mistake of taking hormone replacement therapy while on [...], and I bled abnormally.
I went to get my bleeding checked out by a gynaecologist and the gynaecologist is willing to scan me again should the bleeding re commence.
I take oestrogen and progesterone and I take the progesterone daily, because, when I was only taking it for part of the month I found that my mental state decreased on the days I was not taking it.
I recommend you speak to your doctor or a gynaecologist or somebody who knows about the interactions between hormone placement therapy, particularly progesterone and benzodiazepines.
I am sorry to hear that you are suffering this way and [...] that you can resolve the issue.
Please keep us informed.

[Buddie]

« Reply #1428 on: March 21, 2021, 02:35:05 pm »
Hi gals,

I am in perimenopause and suffering greatly from seven days before my period to three days after. I am always looking for answers, and I continue to find many. I am also a physician (who was not trained in benzos sadly). Here is what the science says.

First, if you are cycling more often than every 28 days you likely have low or low-normal T3 (active thyroid hormone). This is incredibly common in women over 35. With adequate T3, hormones go back to normal. T3 is also a natural GABA reuptake inhibitor, so without it, you are going to feel more anxious.

Second, progesterone itself is a GABA antagonist. This is important because progesterone cream does not reach the brain in large amounts but when it does, it is an antagonist. It does release estrogen from tissues. Estrogen can be both calming and excitatory, depending on which receptor it hits.

Moving on to progesterone. When naturally produced or supplemented by mouth, it reaches the brain. However, it requires an enzyme called 5 alpha reductase to convert it to the calming neurosteroid allopregnanolone (this is a GABA agonist and always present in your brain, more is better). This hormone as well as the enzyme declines with age and stress, making it harder for us to recover from things like benzos.

So, during your menstrual cycle, when progesterone rises, if it is not adequately converted to allopregnanolone, you will get severe symptoms as progesterone is antagonizing GABA and there isn't enough allopregnanolone to oppose it (PMDD). If it is converted and you get allopregnanolone to rise (which you will to some extent no matter what), then when you are a few days from your period and this neurosteroid declines, you will experience withdrawal from it (PMS).

Once you are about 3 days into your period, hormones usually rise to normal and you feel better. If you are on birth control pills, you do not get the fluctuations, which is nice, but you do get a steady decline in allopregnanolone, which isn't so nice.

So, the first step in all this is eduction. These are your hormones, and this is how they act. Now what do we do?

I am still working on this part, to see if I can make my life better. Supplementing oral micronized bioidentical progesterone only helps if my 5 alpha reductase enzyme is working well, and mine doesn't seem to be. So I am working on increasing it. So far, glycine, taurine and DHEA may help as well as pregnenolone. Taking T3 has normalized my cycles at least from 21 to 28 days.

I am trying these above out and will check back next cycle.

Until then, trying to survive this insane period wave. Feel like I'm losing my mind! Best to everyone!

[Buddie]

« Reply #1429 on: March 21, 2021, 03:31:24 pm »
Hi gals,

I am in perimenopause and suffering greatly from seven days before my period to three days after. I am always looking for answers, and I continue to find many. I am also a physician (who was not trained in benzos sadly). Here is what the science says.

First, if you are cycling more often than every 28 days you likely have low or low-normal T3 (active thyroid hormone). This is incredibly common in women over 35. With adequate T3, hormones go back to normal. T3 is also a natural GABA reuptake inhibitor, so without it, you are going to feel more anxious.

Second, progesterone itself is a GABA antagonist. This is important because progesterone cream does not reach the brain in large amounts but when it does, it is an antagonist. It does release estrogen from tissues. Estrogen can be both calming and excitatory, depending on which receptor it hits.

Moving on to progesterone. When naturally produced or supplemented by mouth, it reaches the brain. However, it requires an enzyme called 5 alpha reductase to convert it to the calming neurosteroid allopregnanolone (this is a GABA agonist and always present in your brain, more is better). This hormone as well as the enzyme declines with age and stress, making it harder for us to recover from things like benzos.

So, during your menstrual cycle, when progesterone rises, if it is not adequately converted to allopregnanolone, you will get severe symptoms as progesterone is antagonizing GABA and there isn't enough allopregnanolone to oppose it (PMDD). If it is converted and you get allopregnanolone to rise (which you will to some extent no matter what), then when you are a few days from your period and this neurosteroid declines, you will experience withdrawal from it (PMS).

Once you are about 3 days into your period, hormones usually rise to normal and you feel better. If you are on birth control pills, you do not get the fluctuations, which is nice, but you do get a steady decline in allopregnanolone, which isn't so nice.

So, the first step in all this is eduction. These are your hormones, and this is how they act. Now what do we do?

I am still working on this part, to see if I can make my life better. Supplementing oral micronized bioidentical progesterone only helps if my 5 alpha reductase enzyme is working well, and mine doesn't seem to be. So I am working on increasing it. So far, glycine, taurine and DHEA may help as well as pregnenolone. Taking T3 has normalized my cycles at least from 21 to 28 days.

I am trying these above out and will check back next cycle.

Until then, trying to survive this insane period wave. Feel like I'm losing my mind! Best to everyone!
As I am not a physician I do not feel qualified to answer your post so I have just come on to wish you well.
I made a post on progesterone.
I take it aurally and the channelling and I want to come off.
I’m taping of [...].
I want to come off my oestrogen gel.
Most importantly I want to come off my progesterone which is natural in the form of capsules, as cream is not available in the UK and a horror stories I have heard on here have really frightened me.
I just want to be free of all pharmaceuticals never to go on them again.