Author Topic: Cross-Over to Valium Support Thread  (Read 68631 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Cross-Over to Valium Support Thread
« Reply #1370 on: September 17, 2020, 12:11:53 am »
S71, this may be rough.  Hold on, I am so sorry your Dr won't at least read the Manual.   It isn't perfect by any means but at least there is a thought process there that can help like slow crossovers and the reason for them.   We are here, even if you just need to vent.  Remember a "hold" means don't change anything.  Diazapam is a different type of benzo, there are 3 metabolites, each with a different purpose and half life, so it can take time to adjust.   One is for muscle relaxation, one for sleep, and one for anxiety.   Read lots around bb and learn all you can.  The search engine on the Homepage has all kinds of interesting things to read.   Good luck, [...] 🍀🍀🍀
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #1371 on: September 17, 2020, 12:15:35 am »
Than you all. Is lorazepam that strong?

Lorazepam isnít as strong as Klonopin or Xanax, but itís much more potent than diazepam.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #1372 on: September 17, 2020, 12:16:33 am »
Thank you. I will.

[Buddie]

« Reply #1373 on: September 17, 2020, 12:17:15 am »
Many people, including me, think she may be too high, but not by half.   If I were prescribing though, because of all the other meds you have been on, I may have stuck to the 15.  I do believe you can still be having wd issues from other things too, and the 15 would hopefully help cover that.  But again, just my opinion  ;)

[Buddie]

« Reply #1374 on: September 17, 2020, 12:40:48 am »
Scorpio, that is awful that your doctor told you that. I am so sorry you went through that. I agree with [...] that the quick switch from lorazepam to diazepam and the much lower dose of diazepam is likely the culprit. I did a crossover from clonazepam to diazepam over 6 weeks and experienced some withdrawals from the clonazepam still. At least your doctor was willing to up the dose some. It will take time for the diazepam to build up in your system so for now, hang in there and stay at the 10 and stabilize. It will probably take some time, but you will hopefully start to feel better soon.
What kind of withdrawals did you have? [...], how was diazepam hard for you?

[Buddie]

« Reply #1375 on: September 17, 2020, 01:13:33 am »
Scorpio, that is awful that your doctor told you that. I am so sorry you went through that. I agree with [...] that the quick switch from lorazepam to diazepam and the much lower dose of diazepam is likely the culprit. I did a crossover from clonazepam to diazepam over 6 weeks and experienced some withdrawals from the clonazepam still. At least your doctor was willing to up the dose some. It will take time for the diazepam to build up in your system so for now, hang in there and stay at the 10 and stabilize. It will probably take some time, but you will hopefully start to feel better soon.
What

kind of withdrawals did you have? [...], how was diazepam hard for you

S71, I am off for bed but will definitely get back to you tomorrow  :).   [...] you sleep well  :sleepy: :sleepy:

[Buddie]

« Reply #1376 on: September 17, 2020, 02:25:13 am »
What kind of withdrawals did you have? [...], how was diazepam hard for you?

Increased anxiety and head pressure. The anxiety gradually subsided over a month of being on only diazepam and the head pressure took 2 months to resolve I think.

[Buddie]

« Reply #1377 on: September 17, 2020, 05:39:42 am »
I took 12.5 mgs of diphenhydramine and 2 extra strength acetaminophen at 9:30 pm and supposed to take 5 mgs of Valium at 12am. Will I be ok. Will I stop breathing?

[Buddie]

« Reply #1378 on: September 17, 2020, 09:17:49 pm »
I am sorry Scorpio, I don't know what that is?

I had a hard time crossing, I was on Xanax and the V just knocked me out.  I was on 2 mgs of Xanax but worked my way down to 1.25 before trying to cross, that would have been 25 mg Valium.  Couldn't do it, added back some Xanax and dropped some V and held.  Then slowly started tapering again.  Valium and I have never gotten along.  I was really drugged, have had awful muscle pain, and many more symptoms.  I am down to 7.7 mgs of V now, but it has been a long slow road.  V is so different than the newer benzo's.   But in saying that, everyone's reaction is different, so there is a good chance your brain and body will adjust much quicker than mine.  [...] so.   [...] you are feeling some better today.    :)

[Buddie]

« Reply #1379 on: September 17, 2020, 10:09:17 pm »
Scorpio, so sorry for what you have gone through.  You likely have a very sensitive nervous system, which is why you reacted badly to all those meds.  I know because I have the same issues.  Almost all meds give me bad side effects and the antidepressants, when I have first started them, all made me feel nutso.  And this includes the ones that "Genomind" said I would do well with.  These docs are really just taking a shot in the dark.  Your doctor is lucky you didn't have a dang seizure by telling you to stop the lorazepam.  What a dumb a**. 

Anyhow, it's not surprising that you are feeling withdrawals.  Like everyone said, you were given about half the equivalent dose that is recommended PLUS, because of the short half life of lorazepam, you went into quick withdrawals but the Valium takes a while to build up....why a slow crossover is recommended.  Hopefully, that will eventually settle for you soon.  I crossed over from Klonopin and took like 5 weeks and did it in 5 steps.  I still had withdrawals - very painful burning muscles throughout my body, especially in my shoulders, back.  I had bad head pressure, very different from my regular headaches and meds would only touch it a little.  This all eventually settled down for me but it took a few weeks.  Then, it took me a while to stabilize but it got better and better from there.  I do know of others that stabilized on less of the Ashton equivalent (a lot less) but it definitely would have been better to start higher....however, you are not necessarily doomed and God willing, this will be enough.  I would stick with at least 2 doses a day.  I still take 3. 

I'm a [...] and wife so I can completely empathize with what you are dealing with.  Hang in there and praying it all settles for you soon.