Author Topic: Cross-Over to Valium Support Thread  (Read 68077 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Cross-Over to Valium Support Thread
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 07:00:12 pm »
[...],

This thread is a great idea! Thanks for taking the lead!

I based my c/o on a modified version of Ashton's crossover schedules and I took 6 weeks to finish it. My gut feel kept telling me to speed it up, but I was frankly just too darn scared to do it. For me, it was a question of risk vs. benefit and I was so close to the edge that the risk factor was just too scary ... I felt like I had no margin for error!

However, for those who are interested in a faster approach, here is a link to Reg Peart's ideas about crossovers:

http://www.drregpeart.org/Dr%20Peart%20Sample%20Schedules%20with%20Notes%2022Sep06.pdf

One of the more fascinating points Dr. Peart made was that:

"Many lay people advise slowing down the crossover when one feels worse. Dr.Peart does not agree with this and in fact
believes that it keeps the person in high tolerance w/d even longer and for no medical reason."

If i were to advise anyone going through a crossover, i would say to really listen closely to your intuition and your body.

In fact, [...], if you were to look back at your early posts, your intuition kept telling you to get off the Ativan and on the Valium. Even though you were getting  suggestions to consider upping the Ativan rather than starting your c/o to Valium, it seems to me you went with your intuition and it paid off in spades. Well, that's how I interpreted it, anyway.

Best, Human
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 07:12:59 pm »
It occurred to me that it might also be helpful to post some links to the parts of the Ashton manual relevant to crossovers.

Here's a link directly to the part of the Ashton manual on "Switching to a long-acting benzodiazepine."

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha02.htm#13

And here's a link to Ashton's crossover schedules:

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 07:37:44 pm »
Thanks for providing those links Human. I wa s hoping people would stop by and check in here and share!!!
You are right: I was very scared too, especially when people kept telling me to updose. Which I did, only not on Ativan. That updose got me out of the woods, after I understood about the benefits.
You don't want to go back after fighting so hard to get low. But in the end, it will save you lots of trouble , in some cases.
Yes, I'm getting better at listening to myself. It's been a long road, though. But I knew the Ativan was not agreeing with me and I had to get off faster.
I followed in [...]'s footsteps, who first brought Peart to my attention and who has been crossing over quite easily as well ( for info to other people reading here, I know you probably don't want to ...:laugh: Which is fine....not trying to bring stuff up in any way).

Thanks for being so helpful and that quarter fromPeart manual.

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 07:44:14 pm »
[...] - this thread is going places. I knew the right people would dive in and help.
Thanks Human
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 09:30:03 pm »
Thanks Captain..
El Capitan, I will call you  :laugh:
My favorite " rock" in Yosemite.....

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 01:01:02 am »
Yes, both [...] and I crossed over relatively quickly - Mine over the course of 11 days, hers 15 or so - and we've both been doing quite well. The only difference being that she was in misery when she started, and I was relatively stable after my first cut - she updosed a little bit, using Valium - which seemed to do just the trick.

I essentially just followed Peart's crossover schedule to the T and noticed no ill effects, it should be stated somewhere in this thread that it is advisable to try and get stable on whatever dose you're at now of your particular benzo. . even if that means updosing a little bit to get to where you feel 85% well or so. Whether you decide to updose on your current drug, simply supplementing your current dose with a little extra valium (as [...] did), is personal preference and you may have to experiment over a few days to get to a dose you feel stable at. Once stable I'd give it 3-7 days at that dose before attempting to crossover, and after crossing over between 2-4 weeks (depending on how you're feeling) before you begin to taper off of the Valium.

I feel as though the biggest contributing factor as to how eventful your crossover will go, is the state in which you start it. For this reason it's advisable to try and get as stable as possible before attempting to crossover.

It should also be stated that Valium can be very sedating at first, so you want to limit driving and other things of the sort until your body gets used to it. The sedation does go away, for me it was gone just about completely by day 9 of my 11 day crossover. The sedation is normal, and an indication that the medicine is working.

The decision to crossover can be psychologically taxing, I was unsure at first if I even wanted to try it - til the interdose from my first ativan cut became intolerable. I brought a printed version of the Ashton crossover schedules to my psychiatrist and he assured me that it wasn't necessary for the process to take 6 weeks, and could be done in a much shorter time period. Which lead me to Peart's crossover schedule. Upon seeing that I was kinda scared that 11 days would be too quick, but decided to just bite the bullet and act on it. . . My crossover was uneventful, and I noticed no ill effects - other than the sedation, which I didnt mind at all. . . and I still managed to be very productive around the house.

For those who might be wondering about whether a crossover would benefit them, I can say that I have NO regrets whatsoever about crossing over to Valium from Ativan, and the interdose w/d is history.

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 01:13:58 am »
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE  Fro
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 01:51:24 am »
Yes, very nice!!
I'm also glad I did it. No regrets!

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 12:42:34 pm »
Hi! I am a few days in to crossing over from once a day .5mg klonopin to valium. My pdoc instructed me to take .25mg klon with 5 mg valium for 1 week, then stop the klon and go up to 7.5mg valium or 10 mg "if I have to" to cover the withdrawals. Ive looked over Dr Peart's suggestions and want to know if what I am doing is correct? Most people are starting from 2 or 3x daily dose of klon, and Im only starting from 1. Im feeling a little strange, sedated, but doing ok. Thanks for this support!

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 12:51:45 pm »
[...]  - sedation is normal and will disappear a few wekks after you are done crossing over. Make sure you go to 10mg to be equivalent to .5mg K though. IMO
[...]