Author Topic: Cross-Over to Valium Support Thread  (Read 68075 times)

[Buddie]

Cross-Over to Valium Support Thread
« on: February 24, 2014, 12:48:13 am »
Hi everyone,

This thread will be for all of us who are thinking of crossing over from their benzo to Valium, for all of those who are still in the process and those who have already crossed over and could really help by sharing their experiences.

Lately, so many people have been on the Diazepam support thread, discussing their cross over (including myself).
So, when I got a pm this morning from one of the most helpful buddies out here, asking if I would be interested in starting a thread on this topic( since my c/o was so succesfull)I was happy to do so.
This indeed deserves its own thread, seeing how many people have questions about it and have done it in the past or are still struggling and trying to find answers.

Now that this particular topic  has its own section, it might be easier for people to find it when searching for c/o information and also make the Diazepam thread more available for discussing ALL things Valium and not just focus on crossing over from a previous benzo.

I would be more than happy to share my experience, my schedule, etc with anyone who is interested.
I'm far from an expert on it, or any other benzo use, but I have been able to switch over from Ativan to Valium in a little bit over two weeks without any problems worth mentioning and would be honored if anyone , even if its that one person, could be helped by the things I do know by now. I notice we all learn pretty quick about this crazy world of benzo's we find ourselves in.

I [...] that many people will share here, vent, ask, give advice and that we can create a good place to be during this process. Most of all I [...] that people who are still suffering so, will get some [...] and advice.
I realize that my experience could very well not be the same for others. But that's why it's good to have many people on board who know different things. And knowing the many wonderful experienced people here, I'm sure they would be willing to chime in as well.

I [...] to see you all here soon and often.

I'm off to the sandbox area to practice my skills on how to post links and quotes and such.
And please spread the word that we are here!!!
Take care and credit for [...] for coming up with the idea!!
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Cross-Over to Valium Support Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 01:12:46 am »
[...] a great idea because you are doing it. I will take no credit you were born to do this! To everyone who needs c/o advise follow [...]'s last 3 weeks of posts and you will see the caterpillar to butterfly analogy happen before your eyes.
This idea of crossing over from you Benzo to Valium/Diazepam is not a new idea and not for everyone but this thread will be for those who want to successfully cross over.
Thanks [...] for taking the lead
[...]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 01:17:51 am by [Buddie] »
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 01:16:03 am »
  :thumbsup:  You were made for this! 
                  Lynnie

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 02:47:17 am »
Great idea [...]. I don't profess to having much knowledge about doing a cross over because I never had to do one, but it's good to see those who do need to do a c/o now have their own support thread.

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 02:54:21 am »
Thanks guys! It means a lot.
 :'( it's getting me all happy teary.
 I have not even read my own posts from three weeks ago, E, because of the  state I was in! If it wasn't for your, and my others, patience, I would still be where I was.
The 6 month withdrawal has been traumatizing and for now, I want to focus on today.
It is all so fresh still and I'm not at all feeling I'm out of the woods or feel all good. But compared to that time, I feel I've been reborn with a new mind and body.

Yeah, I am sure I forgot some things in the first post: this is definitely not a new thing, the going to Valium cross over. I didn't invent it! :laugh:
I am still on Valium, you know? Kind of forget full.
I might hate the Valium, but luckily it likes me. For now , I'm happy with that. I don't even want to think about what would have happened if I would not be taking it well. I could never go back to Ativan myself!

Well, that's it for today. I am officially all done with the c/o and going to take a breather for a couple of weeks, hoping things will smooth out even more. Then, I will be harassing everyone in the taper thread!
 :smitten:

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 02:34:34 pm »
This is a great idea [...]!

Your recent cross over should be an inspiration for those who are considering it or are struggling while doing it.

Mine was long enough ago that I have forgotten the nitty gritty of it and only have the schedule I followed as a reminder of how I managed it.

I [...] more new members find their way here.

(edit: typo)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:33:06 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 04:17:02 pm »
Good Morning!   :)

I am now crossing over to V from Ativan. Today I cross over my second out of seven doses. So far so good. I will probably hold here for a day and Wednesday move on and start my half A and half V on dose #3 and hopefully cross that one over by Sat.

Lynnie  :crazy:

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 04:30:00 pm »
Hi Lynnie,
I did that too: cutting my Ativan in half and adding the equivalent dose of Valium. After two days, switch the whole dose to Valium and hold for two days. Then attack the next dose.
This way you can see how it effects you and the Valium gets a change to build up.

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 04:47:16 pm »
Hi [...],

My original plan was to do 3 days of half and half and then switch, and on the same day I switch start another dose of half and half. Looking it over the past day and a half and thinking I might just hold for a day or two before I start my next day of half and half, just to see where my body is at with it. Might add 10 days on to my original plan, But that is ok.
                          Lynnie :crazy:

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 04:54:16 pm »
For those who are interested in what my schedule looked like, here it is:

I added 2x 1.25 Valium 5 days prior to starting my c/o. I had to updose a bit, due to bad w/d, especially inter dose troubles. Because of the upcoming switch to Valium, I decided to so this updose with valium and not Ativan.
I started with 4x 0.25 Ativan.
Then added 1.25 Valium to my 11 am and also my 9:30 pm dose.

Day 0.          7 am.                      11 am.                    4 pm.                     9:30 pm
                   0.25 A                  0.25 A+ 1.25 V        0.25 Ativan.            0.25 A+ 1.25 V

Day 1.         0.25 A.                  0.25 A+ 1.25 V        0.25 A.                   0.125 A+ 2.5 V
Day 2.   Same as day 1

Day 3.         0.25 A.                  0.25 A+1.25 V          0.25 A.                    3 V
Day 4.   Same as day 3

Day 5.         0.25 A.                  0.125 A+ 2.5 V.        0.25 A.                    3 V
Day 6.   Same as day 5

Day 7.         0.25 A.                        3 V.                    0.25 A.                    3 V
day 8.   Same as day 7

Day 9.   0.125 A+1.25 V.                 3 V.                    0.25 A.                    3 V
Day 10. Same as day 9

Day 11.       2 V.                              3 V.                    0.25 A.                    3 V
Day 12.  Same as day 11

Day 13.       2 V.                              3 V.                0.125 A+ 1.25 V.         3 V
Day 14  Same as day  13

Day 15.      2 V.                               3 V.                    2.5 V.                       3 V

No more Ativan!!!!

As you can see, I smuggled a bit with the doses. If I would have done the exact equivalents for all, I would have been taking 3.75 V for my 11 am and 9:30 doses. Which would have been 2.5 mgr valium for the 0.25 ativan PLUS the updose i did the previous day.
However, I felt so super sedated and felt that the V was covering for my Wd from Ativan so well, that I took 3 mgr instead and see how that went. I think the temporary updose before the cross over did the trick for me and I was able to drop that a bit while in the process.

I also did that for my 7 am dose. If done " correctly" I would have been taking 2.5 Valium which would be the equivalent for 0.25 Ativan.
Again, I felt I could try and fortunately, it worked. It was a bit of a gamble, because I'm very sensitive to any med an had a feeling I could do with a bit less. I don't recommend that to all, by the way. But listen to your body...

I'm planning to start a taper somewhere mid march and get stable first. I want to feel as okay as I can before descending the taper ladder. By now, it's clear to me that, how you feel when starting the taper, can determine for a large part how you will feel during the taper. If you take it easy.

My taper from 4 to 0.75 Mgr from August 2013 till January 2014 had been waaaay to quick. I was very sick and didn't know it was withdrawal. I just kept cutting away per doctors advice.
I could have save myself a whole lot of trouble. But well, here I am.

Good luck all.