Heart Palps Support Group

[Co...]

Heart palps are the WORST symptom of all. Then anxiety. Then all.. LOL.. While mine are getting allot less. They always freak you out and the brain runs wild on the What ifs. CRAZY... Hang on for this hell ride. Last heart pals was about 3 weeks ago. I hope they never return!!!

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Wo...]

• [Ha...]

• [me...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

I posted a response to another thread about some interventions for heart "stuff" a while back and thought I'd share it with you here.

Best,

Hopeful Girl

Hi All,

I have a long history of heart arrhythmias which are now very well managed and I have a few suggestions. Obsid is absolutely correct...Palpitations and Fast Heart Rate (called tachycardia when it is over 100 beats per minute) are two different things. Both seem to be common in w/d. Propranolol or any other beta blocker or calcium channel blocker are used to lower heart rate. You can have palpitations with a normal rate. You would only want to be medicating with these drugs if your rate is over 100 bpm. A palpitation is feeling the heart beat strongly or with a thud, feeling it have a fluttering sensation, feeling skipped beats or beats in your throat, etc. and can occur regardless of rate. A fast heart rate again is one that is over 100 beats per minute and can occur with or without palpitations.

As far as things that you can do to help outside of medication the following have been very helpful for me.

1. Magnesium supplementation

2. Potassium supplementation (You can create a dangerous condition with too much potassium so be careful with this in high doses.) The best way I have found to supplement with this is with 100% Coconut Water. This is very hydrating (dehydration can cause rapid rate and palpitations) and is the richest food source of potassium. Drink it cold.

3. COQ10 The therapeutic dose for heart rhythm is 100-300mg in divided doses daily OR 50-150mg in the ubiquinol form.

4. Taurine The therapeutic dose for heart is 500-1000mg in divided doses daily

5. Hawthorne Solid Extract This helps with the palpitations and rate. It is important to get the right type of formulation. This is a syrup that you mix with water...mix 1/4-1/2 teaspoon in about 1/2 cup of water and drink once per day. I use one by a company called Wise Woman Herbals. It is sold on Amazon as well as retail locations but can be hard to find.

6. Homeopathic Remedies for Palpitations and Rate I have had tremendous success with these taken on an as needed basis. Do not take daily for more than three days due to how homeopathics work. I use two when my rate gets up or I have a lot of palpitations. The first is called Arrhythmia Med and is made by a company called Mediral. I can buy it at my ND's office but it is cheaper online at a site called eVitaminmarket.com. It is only $14.00 per bottle here and it works as well as or better than my prescription meds. The dose is 10 drops under the tongue up to 3 times per day. Also, I have equally great results with another one called Cardio Liquitrophic. I get it on the same site and I take 1/2 teaspoon under the tongue up to 3 times per day as needed...again, with both of these for up to 3 days consecutively. I use this if I need additional support after taking the Arrhythmia Med. I think that most here will not need both.

7. Breathing Exercises The 4-7-8 Breath. Don't dismiss this because it seems too simple. I have used this breathing technique with tremendous success. If anything it really helps stop a panic attack in its tracks which certainly helps. Here are the instructions from Dr. Andrew Weil's site:

This exercise is utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere. Although you can do the exercise in any position, sit with your back straight while learning the exercise. Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise. You will be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue; try pursing your lips slightly if this seems awkward.

*Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.

*Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.

*Hold your breath for a count of seven.

*Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.

*This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.

Note that you always inhale quietly through your nose and exhale audibly through your mouth. The tip of your tongue stays in position the whole time. Exhalation takes twice as long as inhalation. The absolute time you spend on each phase is not important; the ratio of 4:7:8 is important. If you have trouble holding your breath, speed the exercise up but keep to the ratio of 4:7:8 for the three phases. With practice you can slow it all down and get used to inhaling and exhaling more and more deeply.

This exercise is a natural tranquilizer for the nervous system. Unlike tranquilizing drugs, which are often effective when you first take them but then lose their power over time, this exercise is subtle when you first try it but gains in power with repetition and practice. Do it at least twice a day. You cannot do it too frequently. Do not do more than four breaths at one time for the first month of practice. Later, if you wish, you can extend it to eight breaths. If you feel a little lightheaded when you first breathe this way, do not be concerned; it will pass.

Once you develop this technique by practicing it every day, it will be a very useful tool that you will always have with you. Use it whenever anything upsetting happens - before you react. Use it whenever you are aware of internal tension. Use it to help you fall asleep. This exercise cannot be recommended too highly. Everyone can benefit from it.

8. Vagal Maneuvers Vagal Maneuvers are a way to stop a very rapid heart rate. You need to be careful with these and it is advisable to have a trained professional show you how to do them correctly. These would be for a fast rate only not for palpitations alone. That said these are pretty safe and the three easiest to do are-

1. Bearing down-this is where you hold your breath and bear down as if you were having a bowel movement. This is called a Valsalva Maneuver and can be very effective without much risk.

2. Coughing or gagging-if your rate gets high you can try coughing or gagging to drop the it.

3. Immersing your face in ice cold water-this is the Diving Reflex. You can fill the sink or a basin with ice water and immerse your face in it for as long as you can stand and repeat a few times. This isn't pleasant but sure beats a racing heart if it works.

I really hope that these suggestions help. Let me know if you have questions on any of this, I'm happy to help where I can!

Hi All,

I posted a response to another thread about some interventions for heart "stuff" a while back and thought I'd share it with you here.

Best,

Hopeful Girl

Hi All,

I have a long history of heart arrhythmias which are now very well managed and I have a few suggestions. Obsid is absolutely correct...Palpitations and Fast Heart Rate (called tachycardia when it is over 100 beats per minute) are two different things. Both seem to be common in w/d. Propranolol or any other beta blocker or calcium channel blocker are used to lower heart rate. You can have palpitations with a normal rate. You would only want to be medicating with these drugs if your rate is over 100 bpm. A palpitation is feeling the heart beat strongly or with a thud, feeling it have a fluttering sensation, feeling skipped beats or beats in your throat, etc. and can occur regardless of rate. A fast heart rate again is one that is over 100 beats per minute and can occur with or without palpitations.

As far as things that you can do to help outside of medication the following have been very helpful for me.

1. Magnesium supplementation

2. Potassium supplementation (You can create a dangerous condition with too much potassium so be careful with this in high doses.) The best way I have found to supplement with this is with 100% Coconut Water. This is very hydrating (dehydration can cause rapid rate and palpitations) and is the richest food source of potassium. Drink it cold.

3. COQ10 The therapeutic dose for heart rhythm is 100-300mg in divided doses daily OR 50-150mg in the ubiquinol form.

4. Taurine The therapeutic dose for heart is 500-1000mg in divided doses daily

5. Hawthorne Solid Extract This helps with the palpitations and rate. It is important to get the right type of formulation. This is a syrup that you mix with water...mix 1/4-1/2 teaspoon in about 1/2 cup of water and drink once per day. I use one by a company called Wise Woman Herbals. It is sold on Amazon as well as retail locations but can be hard to find.

6. Homeopathic Remedies for Palpitations and Rate I have had tremendous success with these taken on an as needed basis. Do not take daily for more than three days due to how homeopathics work. I use two when my rate gets up or I have a lot of palpitations. The first is called Arrhythmia Med and is made by a company called Mediral. I can buy it at my ND's office but it is cheaper online at a site called eVitaminmarket.com. It is only $14.00 per bottle here and it works as well as or better than my prescription meds. The dose is 10 drops under the tongue up to 3 times per day. Also, I have equally great results with another one called Cardio Liquitrophic. I get it on the same site and I take 1/2 teaspoon under the tongue up to 3 times per day as needed...again, with both of these for up to 3 days consecutively. I use this if I need additional support after taking the Arrhythmia Med. I think that most here will not need both.

7. Breathing Exercises The 4-7-8 Breath. Don't dismiss this because it seems too simple. I have used this breathing technique with tremendous success. If anything it really helps stop a panic attack in its tracks which certainly helps. Here are the instructions from Dr. Andrew Weil's site:

This exercise is utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere. Although you can do the exercise in any position, sit with your back straight while learning the exercise. Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise. You will be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue; try pursing your lips slightly if this seems awkward.

*Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.

*Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.

*Hold your breath for a count of seven.

*Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.

*This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.

Note that you always inhale quietly through your nose and exhale audibly through your mouth. The tip of your tongue stays in position the whole time. Exhalation takes twice as long as inhalation. The absolute time you spend on each phase is not important; the ratio of 4:7:8 is important. If you have trouble holding your breath, speed the exercise up but keep to the ratio of 4:7:8 for the three phases. With practice you can slow it all down and get used to inhaling and exhaling more and more deeply.

This exercise is a natural tranquilizer for the nervous system. Unlike tranquilizing drugs, which are often effective when you first take them but then lose their power over time, this exercise is subtle when you first try it but gains in power with repetition and practice. Do it at least twice a day. You cannot do it too frequently. Do not do more than four breaths at one time for the first month of practice. Later, if you wish, you can extend it to eight breaths. If you feel a little lightheaded when you first breathe this way, do not be concerned; it will pass.

Once you develop this technique by practicing it every day, it will be a very useful tool that you will always have with you. Use it whenever anything upsetting happens - before you react. Use it whenever you are aware of internal tension. Use it to help you fall asleep. This exercise cannot be recommended too highly. Everyone can benefit from it.

8. Vagal Maneuvers Vagal Maneuvers are a way to stop a very rapid heart rate. You need to be careful with these and it is advisable to have a trained professional show you how to do them correctly. These would be for a fast rate only not for palpitations alone. That said these are pretty safe and the three easiest to do are-

1. Bearing down-this is where you hold your breath and bear down as if you were having a bowel movement. This is called a Valsalva Maneuver and can be very effective without much risk.

2. Coughing or gagging-if your rate gets high you can try coughing or gagging to drop the it.

3. Immersing your face in ice cold water-this is the Diving Reflex. You can fill the sink or a basin with ice water and immerse your face in it for as long as you can stand and repeat a few times. This isn't pleasant but sure beats a racing heart if it works.

I really hope that these suggestions help. Let me know if you have questions on any of this, I'm happy to help where I can!

That was a great post Hopeful  :smitten:

Glad it was helpful. I've struggled with this for a long time and this is the culmination of 10 years of trial and error!

:smitten:

Hopeful Girl

Ugh I get flips in my heart almost every other minute some evenings. Had loads of scans/tests that showed nothing. Going back tomorrow to ask again because I'm scared! I wrote a record of how many 'flutters' I got today and it was 56 but it sometimes just does it so often I don't bother to count. Anyone else have it to this extent, every day? It has noticeably become worse when I make cuts/getting towards the end of my taper.

Also, I tried taking a beta blocker the dr gave me - propranolol - but it made me feel SO bad. It calmed my heart down yes, but I went uncontrollably shaky and felt very faint/sick/odd. I don't know which is worse to be quite honest, and I'm scared to try the beta blocker again but almost tempted just to get rid of these damn things. It doesn't feel like a big thump like everyone else seems to get. Mine's more like a twitch?

Ugh I get flips in my heart almost every other minute some evenings. Had loads of scans/tests that showed nothing. Going back tomorrow to ask again because I'm scared! I wrote a record of how many 'flutters' I got today and it was 56 but it sometimes just does it so often I don't bother to count. Anyone else have it to this extent, every day? It has noticeably become worse when I make cuts/getting towards the end of my taper.

Also, I tried taking a beta blocker the dr gave me - propranolol - but it made me feel SO bad. It calmed my heart down yes, but I went uncontrollably shaky and felt very faint/sick/odd. I don't know which is worse to be quite honest, and I'm scared to try the beta blocker again but almost tempted just to get rid of these damn things. It doesn't feel like a big thump like everyone else seems to get. Mine's more like a twitch?

Hi There,

So sorry you are going through this. Yes, I sometimes would have hundreds of these flips and flutters in a matter of hours. A couple of suggestions...

1. If you want to try a beta blocker ask for something else. There are several to pick from...I have had the best results with atenolol but everyone is different. Propranolol is an older drug and tends to have more side effects.

2. Consider trying some of the things I posted on page 3 here. You would be amazed at how effective some of those supplements are for this.

3. If you are nervous and wanting to track this, ask your doctor to put you on a holter monitor also called an event monitor. You can wear this at home 24/7 and it will record every heartbeat. You can do it for 24 hours all the way up to a month. They will monitor it and review it for any irregularities. It can be a great tool to keep your mind at ease and if anything fishy shows up while you are wearing it, they will contact you to come in. It really allowed me to relax.

I hope it gets better for you soon!

Hopeful Girl

For what is is worth, I canot take a Beta Blocker daily it makes me feel worse. I take atenolol AS NEEDED but heres the kicker, I take a fourth of a 25mg tablet and it will slow my heart rate enough to keep me from freaing out!!! NO KIDDING!!!

I know waht you mean about the bumps too mine come and go, I can get them for a week then boom they are gone. This stuff messes us up so bad!!

Hang inthere and know you are not alone!!

My doctor prescribed a low dose of atenolol, however I will have to wait to try it because I am so broke from this sickness that I can't afford to get it filled! I will write back once I have tried it for a week and let you all know how well it works.

• 2 weeks later...
Some encouragement.  I had palpitations every second of every day.  I then started magnesium glycinate and after about a month they started going away.  Some people can take magnesium glycinate then some have to take magnesium malate.  Those are the most calming ones.  I started very slowly and built my way up.  Once I got to 700 mg palpitations just don't happen much anymore.  Benzo's drain our minerals and tear up our adrenals.  I hope someone else will find this info helpful.  Like I said it did take awhile to start working but it's wonderful once it did! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

A palps question....

My palps have been pretty quiet.  no beta blocker needed for last 2 months

They have resurfaced following stessful medical appointment ( not related to palps). My question is: ..Does anyone feel their palps in their back/ribs? ..My back is twitching with the palps which is increasing my anxiety....anyone else?

.....thanks for any replies.....coop

A side note....I agree with Happy....taking a low low dose of beta block is often very effective. My physician wanted to start me on 25 mg of atenolol...it was too much. I also take 1/4 of that. and find the low low dose to calm my palps with less side effects. I also take it only as needed. ....coop

I was getting heart palps regularly when trying to get off of Ativan. Finally convinced my Doc to let me switch over yo V to gradually get off. He agreed. It is only now that I am under 2 Mgs. That the palps are hitting me especially in the morning on waking. I hate taking anything else whole going through this but maybe I should ask my Doc about a light dose of a beta blocker.

Does it really work and what are the wise effects?

Thanks

Tied....yes beta blockers do work very nicely for calming palps. I would definitely tell your physican that you want to start on the lowest dose possible as you want to take them only on an as needed basis. If you go to a daily dose you will have to taper down off of them ( not at all like benzo taper and goes much faster...).

.....Some BBs don't want to take them, but for me they were so helpful and I only had to take them for a few weeks in month 3...allthough they have returned now, but at a much less intense level. It was worth it to me and I have absolutely no regrets.

..  Hope you feel better Tied.

.........oh, side effects....I had very few side effects on a split dose of 12mg of atenolol. The first few days I felt somewhat sedated, but that went away within a week. I also felt a little spacey...somewhat like d/r without the anxiety. Those s/x also cleared up within the first week

.......coop

A palps question....

My palps have been pretty quiet.  no beta blocker needed for last 2 months

They have resurfaced following stessful medical appointment ( not related to palps). My question is: ..Does anyone feel their palps in their back/ribs? ..My back is twitching with the palps which is increasing my anxiety....anyone else?

.....thanks for any replies.....coop

Hi there,

I get the palps sometimes where I can feel them in my back/ribs. It always kicks up my anxiety too but I think this is pretty normal.  ;)

At least normal for heart palps, I should say!

Hope they ease up!

Hopeful Girl

Hi everyone,

I am 6 months off benzos and have recently started experiencing heart palpitations in the form of a strong pulse sensation in my chest, neck, and abdomen. I also feel a "fluttering" sensation in my chest and often feel like I can't get a good breath of air. This is a new symptom for me and it's very disturbing. Many times when it becomes super intense I'm tempted to go to the ER, but the thought of going makes me even more panicked.  Is it normal for this to be a brand new symptom at this point post taper? I can't help thinking maybe there is another medical reason for this. I worry that someday something may be seriously wrong and that my attributing everything to benzo withdrawal will prevent me from seeking help for a serious medical issue. My anxiety these days is unbearable. I would love to get some reassurance from others who have had a similar experience.

Esther23 the same thing happens to me I'm also 6 months and that is my main symptom with the head pains it's horrible and also kicks up my anxiety we are still early in Wd I know crazy right I get them in my back stomach but when it hits my chest it scares the beggeeeezzz out if me but I tell myself this will pass it has to do you have any head pains mine have eased up a bit but it's so uncomfortable scared to go out to loud places concerts ect stinks and the summer is right around the corner oh well there's always next year right been feeling so down lately cause I'm still having symptoms but I think I'm done with acute though now of the ringing in my ears will go the hell away and the anxiety which is annoying and uncomfortable at least I lost that ugly benzo belly I had from the Valium right. Riding this roller coaster from hell has made me a better person I want to wake up In bliss again we will I know we will I say blood sweat and tears we will get there.

Hi Stacy Boston. Thanks for responding.  It's nice to hear from someone who is at the same stage as me.  I don't get the tinnitus or the head pain, but these seem to be common symptoms. I have a lot of balance issues....feeling dizzy or like an unsteady feeling, like I'm in boat....and of course the heart palps, anxiety and derealization is almost always there these days. I'm hoping to get to window soon...and hope the same for you.

Heart palps! Annoying.

I got them a little pre-benzo. I'd say to my Dr that my heart would start beating fast; and she would say 'you'd get anxious and then your heart would beat fast'. I'd be like 'nnooo. Drs not knowing about adrenaline, cortisol etc; its such a shame. I wouldn't ended up on temaze if someone had rightly diagnosed my over the top cortisol awakening response.

Anyway, I digress.

I get heart palps again now - devoid/not attached to anxiety - except if I take a very small amount of estrogen. The estrogen stops it within an hour.

I'm leery of taking things these days but heart palps are sufficiently annoying to do something about. Plus it is bio-identical estrogen, and a small amount, so I'm merely doing what my body did when it was a bit younger.

Most people are too worried to try it but if anyone does and finds relief I'd be interested.

I should add I don't have any other symptoms then heart palps though so if in acute benzo w/d the estrogen may not help.

May you be well and devoid of heart palps

Smiff

I had tolerance wd while on the benzos and three BAD episodes of heart palps while on it few while off it but not as bad.... I mean 160 BPM! HIGH bP to boot. I want to report that at six months off I do not feel every beat of my heart now!!! THIS IS GREAT!! Also, I have not had any BAD heart palps for two months. I was sitting if fear of eating something that would set them off, or at times they would just hit me!!! This is one side effect I DO NOT like at all, it caused me to hit the ER three times and spend lots of money on heart testing only to find I was fine. I nibble atenolol if need be, but I have not taken any for two months. I hope I never have another heart palp issue ever, but I am glad I know now what I did not know the first time I had them!!

Happy

I ran a mile today and my heart was beating all erratic. I felt like I was going to collaspe, but I checked my oxygen level and it was 99%. It's so frustrating.

I ran a mile today and my heart was beating all erratic. I felt like I was going to collaspe, but I checked my oxygen level and it was 99%. It's so frustrating.

Yes heart palps are tricky buggers. They feel a lot worse than they are. Their feel is so distracting. Your mind just wants to attend to them even when you theoretically know they are probably just a bit of extra and/or sensitivity to adrenaline

You'll be free of them one day xx

My heart palps had been missing for two months and last night they came back big time. I called  my Cardio and he said that its ok but for me to see him on Monday just for an EKG just so that he can have a look to be sure. All day my heart rate has been at 109 up or down a few points but not close to my average 80 or so, I don't feel very well and this wave really took my by surprise I haven't had one this strong in over two months, had a small one last month but it was short lived and I was vey emotional could have been a small wave and perimenapause or PMS.

Right now I feel anxious for no god reason and I'm at 10 months I really thought I'd be done with all of this by now.

Ann