Author Topic: Heart Palps Support Group  (Read 49625 times)

[Buddie]

Re: heart palps...support group?
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 04:38:44 pm »
My heart palps started on Ativan. I was at home and BOOM heart rate took off. I thought for sure I was dying I almost passed out. BP went high too that day. I thought it was being treated for throid cancer. Taking a high dose of synthroid can make the heart rate go high. Well I was put on a beta blocker atenolol and moved off ativan to .5 clonazepam. This first happend April of 2013- THEN 6 months later heart palps again oct 29th. Went through lots of testing!!! NOT one dr told me that it was the benzos!!! So I COLD turkey quit!!! NOT smart!!!

I do get the rapid heart beats, not as strong now! ANd the lst year I could feel my heart beat!! THUMP and go fast. It has slowed down allot. I feel a diet that is CLEAN has also has helped me a ton!!! NO MSG CAFFEINE GLUTEN and sugar. I eat lean proteins, frest fruit and veges and only in moderation and so far lost 34lbs!!! They say that over time they will go away unless you are a woman. The good change of life is the next ting is line. I am 35 I hope to be ok before that happens. I take my atenolol ONLY If needed!!! I cannot take 25mg because my bp goes way low!!! I take a 1/4 of a tablet and it will stop the palps COLD!!

Hugs,
[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Heart Palps Support Group
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 06:01:31 pm »
Thanks [...] for moving this...I am not Techno savvy and didn't know how to paste the whole thing over....hope it helps people...seems to be the s/x. 'of the month ' right now...and at first glance ( without doing ananylsis) it seems that ativan w/d won the lottery on this one. It set new back in my CBT coping skills...but making progress again .....
........Thinking of everyone experiencing this s/x....wishing you peace of mind and speedy relief from this s/x.......[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 04:08:33 am »
Glad you started this support group.  I've posted a few times about my worse side effect from my taper and recovery!!  PALPITATIONS! 

Ativan on and off for ten years, the last 5 at least one, to two a day of .5 mg.  So, it was more the length of time I took them, than the amount.

I started taper in may 2013, and the palps were awful, but not as many.  They calmed down, but now, after my final pill during xmas time, they've come back with a vengeance.  Not as booming, but now more in a day, and with any small excitement or none at all.  I really hate them.  They make me feel tired, scared and weak.

To make it all worse, a week ago, my period stopped coming, so I'm at the age of going into the final trip to menopause.  That's when they got crazy again.  So, now I'm not sure if they're from withdrawal or hormones???  If I knew it was withdrawal, I'll know they'll get better and go away in a few months.  If they're from menopause, they could go on for years, and that is NOT ACCEPTABLE.  So, I went to my doc who gave me the low dose beta blocker.  I'm not taking it yet, until I give them a few more weeks to go away naturally.  I hate to be on a beta blocker for years.  Not ruling it out tho'.  Anyone, here have any suggestions, about the watch and wait situation?  Or if they are coming from hormones or taper?  Or have they morphed into the same thing..... of adrenalin surges??

Confused.

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 08:48:35 pm »
I'm in the same boat as you and just wanted to say that if the Palps are do to Hormonal changes don't invest to much thought that it will be for YEARS. The worst of perimenopause is ending when you have a halting of your periods. If at the end of 12 months you haven't had a period then you are considered to be at Menopause, this is when hormones begin to settle and things calm down a lot for many.

I've tried Beta Blockers for nights when I think I might have palps but I find that it doesn't stop them but perhaps lessens the intensity. I have a prior condition that requires me to be on a diffident blood pressure medicine so I have been cautioned to never take more then one pill a night every now and then as I'll take a huge risk of suddenly dropping my blood pressure to the floor. Under the care of a different Dr I had this actually happen and was in the ER after my BP dropped to 60/40.
I rarely will take a Beta Blocker now as my BP is often around 110/75 and I don't want to risk anything.
Also, on a daily dose of Beta Blockers most have the most impact on lowering blood pressure after daily use and inside of 4 weeks. Care should be taken when using Beta Blockers.

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 11:43:52 pm »
Question regarding beta blockers....I have been taking 12.5 atenolol for about 2 weeks to treat palps and they have bewen effective in calming them. They bring my b/p down to an average of 110/ 68....but now I am wondering.if they are increasing my feeling of d/r ..and possibly nervousness. ...I take a split dose and I think I feel a little better w/d wise in between the dose of beta blocker. I could be just obssessing and imagining this...( although I have to say ..nothing is as bad as the palps)....
....any insights?........I am really hoping the beta blockers are only a temporarary fix until the palps fall into line. ..I know some BBs only take them as needed...
 .....thank you for any thoughts......[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 02:58:18 am »
Hi [...],
I had DR/DP off and on in the first 4 months pretty bad. I believed it to be related to withdrawal and nothing more. I haven't taken BB's long enough during my withdrawal to see if they had any increased effect on my symptoms, I wouldn't think so as they don't effect you gaba or the receptors.
I'd say if the BB's are helping and your BP is stable like it seems then continue on and I also don't think you'll need them forever. My heart palps where so strong when I first jumped off klonopin it would really scare me and send me into a worry fit, now 7 1/2 months later and I still get them and mostly right before my period but they aren't as intense. Still I'll be glad when they leave for good, the withdrawal syndrome and yes, lets include my periods, I can't say that I'll miss them either WOW, what a year of changes all at the same time for us.  Either way all of it will go away but there just isn't a simple fix for any of it but time.

Hang in there you sound like you are doing everything that you can.
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 04:06:31 pm »
Thanks Still...yes, I think you are right...I had d/r consistantly through the 6 weeks of mid-taper...then it let up through end taper and first month of w/d. Discouraged to see it back. I am staying on my beta blocker until things are consiztsntly stable ( the palps are too scary and they trigger panic for me).
....So sorry your palps increase with your cycle...fortunately I am post menopause...guess there is one thing positive about being older.
....thanks so much for your reply...it has eased my mind to know that beta blockers do not influence the gaba system....wishing you progress every day.....with many sunbreaks and windows...[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 04:59:08 pm »
After last Wednesdays gym experience, I have decided to more closely monitor my pulse to learn how to live with my 'new' (i.e. recovering) body.  My first 'report' is for my bike ride into work this morning.  It's mostly a downhill trip (I pay in the afternoon when I ride home).  There are a couple of small hills in the middle of the 3.4 mile trip.  The monitor was activated about 5 minutes before I started, and remained on for around 5 minutes after the trip.  What's most interesting here is that my maximum pulse was achieved going downhill.  I started day-dreaming about my golf swing (a source of anxiety).  I looked down at my iPhone (it's mounted on my handlebars), and saw that my pulse was pushing 130.  I got my mind off of the swing, and my pulse immediately went back down.  Similar thing happened after I got to work.  I started looking for the charger for the monitor (I hate looking for things).  That caused me some short-term stress until I realized/accepted that I had left it at home.  Conclusion: anxiety is significantly affecting my pulse.

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 06:29:28 pm »
Question regarding beta blockers....I have been taking 12.5 atenolol for about 2 weeks to treat palps and they have bewen effective in calming them. They bring my b/p down to an average of 110/ 68....but now I am wondering.if they are increasing my feeling of d/r ..and possibly nervousness. ...I take a split dose and I think I feel a little better w/d wise in between the dose of beta blocker. I could be just obssessing and imagining this...( although I have to say ..nothing is as bad as the palps)....
....any insights?........I am really hoping the beta blockers are only a temporarary fix until the palps fall into line. ..I know some BBs only take them as needed...
 .....thank you for any thoughts......[...]

I HAD TO STOP THEM for this reason!! I could not cope and it made things worse!! I only take them OCCASIONALLLY IF I NEED ONE If I do I take a 1/4 of a 20mg tablet!! It made me so I could not cope if that makes any sense?!!!

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 04:19:07 am »
Is anyone taking propandolol? ....my beta blocker ( atenolol) was taking my heart rate down to 63 and my b/p 100/65 at times causing dizziness ...my. cardiologist is switching over to propandolol that can be take as needed for palps...so would like to know if anyone has experience with it...thanks for any responses....[...]