Stevie Nicks Talks Klonopin NY Times 2/4/14

[ba...]

Never trust doctors, ever.

I don't agree with this but I appreciate the fact that someone who people might be inclined to listen to is at least speaking out against the idea that doctors are omnipotent and infallible.

Never trust doctors, ever.

I don't agree with this but I appreciate the fact that someone who people might be inclined to listen to is at least speaking out against the idea that doctors are omnipotent and infallible.

She could of said:

Never take doctors at face value.  Always question and get 2nd, 3rd, and 4th opinions if need be.  Use the internet to gather as much anecdotal opinion as possible.  Above all, trust your gut instinct.  Doctors are mere mortals, and a segment of that population will reflect the general population overall.  That means there will great, mediocre, and poor physicians.  Unfortunately, there will be those that purposely defy the Hippocratic Oath for monetary gains.  And yes, there are some who are sadists. 

Or not.  ;D 

Stevie's story gives me so much hope as a singer/songwriter. i hope i can get back to that one day.

i  can understand why she says that about doctor's. i basically think they're good for doing needed surgery's and taping broken bones together. maybe a few meds but certainly not all the ones they feel they need to give out to make quota and sit in luxury while people are down for the count.

Thank goodness for Stevie Nicks!  Her Klonopin story reaffirmed what benzos did to me:  massive weight gain, hair turning white and long miserable withdrawals.  She says Klonopin was far worse than cocaine; I agree.  Benzos are the worst drugs I've ever (ab)used, which sadly includes most classes of drugs. 

This quote sums up my benzo journey perfectly:

"Something that seems really bad today is going to be better next week. And things you think are never going to go away soften with time."

We all need confirmation that benzos are indeed responsible for our symptoms at times, and it's very comforting when someone of her caliber speaks out on this often-downplayed issue.  And her music is awesome!  :)

nd her music is awesome!  :)

her music is awesome. she was my hero growing up and i changed my hair to blonde and made it curly like hers

and wore gypsy hippie style clothes. still do ::)

i was just singing 'Landslide" yesterday for some reason and just reveling in her lyric

'and i saw my reflection in the snow covered hills--till the landslide brought me down"

I wish she would expand on her recovery time.  I mean from reading her comments over and over she says 45 days.  I'm sure all of us could have done that 45 days easily.  What happened when she left the hospital after 45 days?  How long did she have sxs? 

I get frustrated because she is someone that could really speak out about her being put on Klonopin but the same words come out of her mouth each interview.  If anything she makes it look easy to come off K.  I wish I had a number like 45 days rather than 2 years 5 months and still recovering.

I love Stevie Nicks and am glad she is well and performing again, that gives me hope that recovery will happen.  Just wish I knew more of what she felt like when the door of hell was opened and she was pushed in.  45 days later she walked out - maybe she was one of the lucky ones that didn't go thru what most of us on BB have.

If anyone knows more about her recovery time than I do, pipe in and let us know. Either way she did heal and is writing and performing again - absolutely positive news for all of us on our brains and bodies healing also.

may healing happen to each of us,

Sally  :angel:

Someone else on the forum mentioned this and I agree, i think celebrities are just genetically superior to us. Their bodies are able to handle more, they are able to recover better, that is why they are famous, they have a stronger composition than most people. It is sad but I think true. I think she got off easy.

I wish she would expand on her recovery time.  I mean from reading her comments over and over she says 45 days.  I'm sure all of us could have done that 45 days easily.  What happened when she left the hospital after 45 days?  How long did she have sxs? 

I get frustrated because she is someone that could really speak out about her being put on Klonopin but the same words come out of her mouth each interview.  If anything she makes it look easy to come off K.  I wish I had a number like 45 days rather than 2 years 5 months and still recovering.

I love Stevie Nicks and am glad she is well and performing again, that gives me hope that recovery will happen.  Just wish I knew more of what she felt like when the door of hell was opened and she was pushed in.  45 days later she walked out - maybe she was one of the lucky ones that didn't go thru what most of us on BB have.

If anyone knows more about her recovery time than I do, pipe in and let us know. Either way she did heal and is writing and performing again - absolutely positive news for all of us on our brains and bodies healing also.

may healing happen to each of us,

Sally  :angel:

Sally,

i totally agree with you, something is up where she is forbidden by her music peers to talk about the full details. she also did lot's of cocaine and i believe alcohol too. i am friends with another musician who is friends with her and i swear that one day, i'm going to try my best to find out her true story. i will report back here if i do. she was on klonopin for 10 years. somethings up. maybe she did get off fairly easy but i really think she's holding stuff back for some reason. she just started touring again and also started recording her own music. believe me, music producers don't want horror stories if they're gonna work and spend money on you. something could come out later.

• 1 month later...
Watching a documentary on Stevie Nicks this evening and found this old thread. I found an article saying she stayed at her brothers for two years after her Klonopin rehab. 

Watching a documentary on Stevie Nicks this evening and found this old thread. I found an article saying she stayed at her brothers for two years after her Klonopin rehab.

now that sounds more like it. good deal. sounds about right. way to go Stevie. i am almost at the 2 year mark. :)

I really wish she would elaborate more on her recovery. She was pretty vague about what happened wd wise in the months and years that followed coming off of K.

Hi again,

Maybe this link is helpful :

http://beyondmeds.com/2011/05/03/stevienicks/

It mentions how she stayed with a brother for 2 years and somewhere she mentions how Klonopin ate away her "40s" and how it took her chance to have a child.  That's really sad.

Hope this helps.

Her music has brought such beauty in to the world.  Like all of us, she has struggled and has such sorrow. 

Hi again,

Maybe this link is helpful :

http://beyondmeds.com/2011/05/03/stevienicks/

It mentions how she stayed with a brother for 2 years and somewhere she mentions how Klonopin ate away her "40s" and how it took her chance to have a child.  That's really sad.

Hope this helps.

Her music has brought such beauty in to the world.  Like all of us, she has struggled and has such sorrow.

thanks for this link! klonopin ate up an even bigger part of my life since i started benzo's when i was 15 years old. just so sad.

Prettydaisies,

I'm so sorry that happened to you.  How awful for a young person such as yourself to lose so much quality of life. I hope you recover fully very soon. You will!!!

Prettydaisies,

I'm so sorry that happened to you.  How awful for a young person such as yourself to lose so much quality of life. I hope you recover fully very soon. You will!!!

thank you FreeofV,

i am trying very hard everyday. still not up to par. but if Stevie can do this and go out touring again -- i have hopes as a singer/songwriter that i will at least be able to finish the second record and perform live again :)

for now, still working on it. it's the kindling factor that has me a little worried these days.

How wonderful that you're a singer / songwriter!  Wow, that's exciting.  I hope you're back on your feet and feeling great real soon, so you can reclaim your life and what you love doing.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe pharmaceutical companies paid Stevie to keep quiet about klonopin.

something sure did. i don't think she would be the type to not talk about it. either than or her new record company.

something sure did. i don't think she would be the type to not talk about it. either than or her new record company.

I think it is much more likely that she is simply measuring her words so she doesn't come off the wrong way.

Right or wrong, you can't just shout this stuff from the rooftops indiscriminately or you will look like a raging lunatic. Not something that is in your best interest if your income depends on it, especially if you are a public figure.

Its pretty cool to see someone thats publicly known discussing this! Maybe one day some great minds will be able to do a deep study and dig deeper into the baseline ashton established.

• 2 weeks later...

The singer from Korn took 3 years to heal from benzo addiction, he was not functional for quite awhile.

I, too wish Stevie Nicks would elaborate but I would imagine it's something her publicist has advised her to not get into detail, it seems like she likes to bring it up often as she is clearly not happy that happened to her, I seem to remember she did go to her brothers for 270 days or something like that... maybe it was more, I can't remember but she likes to mention the Klonopin issue quite often and that's a good thing... maybe one day she will go into detail but who knows, I'd like to think that one day she would just so she get's the word out there how bad the withdrawal from these drugs really is.

Right or wrong, you can't just shout this stuff from the rooftops indiscriminately or you will look like a raging lunatic. Not something that is in your best interest if your income depends on it, especially if you are a public figure.

sometimes public figures do shout things off from the rooftops like Daryl Hall shouting all about his Lyme Disease and how it's one of the worst epidemics and how more and more people are affected/inflicted with it that they don't know about. so, something must have occured with Stevie.

Perhaps she'll wrote a song about klonopin and mention it by name.

What rhymes with "benzodiazepine?"  Oof. Can't spell anymore either.

I really think she should write a song about this. Yeah...

xoxo

Iggy  :smitten:

Perhaps she'll wrote a song about klonopin and mention it by name.

What rhymes with "benzodiazepine?"  Oof. Can't spell anymore either.

I really think she should write a song about this. Yeah...

xoxo

Iggy  :smitten:

i loved the fact that Tori Amos uses the word benzodiazepine in one of her songs. it goes:

"like a pop star -- on benzodiazepine -- you give me yours, i'll give you mine cause i can't look your God in the eye"

>:D