Abnormal test results because of withdrawal?

[Av...]

I've finished my Klonopin taper but I'm in acute withdrawal. I know we can get abnormal blood test results because of the benzo damage. Has this happened to anyone else? Do you think it's best to retest things after one is out of acute?

So the benzo won’t cause damage which in turn causes blood tests to be off. However, the immense stress you have been under can cause your blood test to be off. Most common would be your white blood cell count and blood sugar. Other immune markers are sometimes off due to extreme or moderate stress. When the body is pissed off, it takes it too the limit lol

So the benzo won’t cause damage which in turn causes blood tests to be off. However, the immense stress you have been under can cause your blood test to be off. Most common would be your white blood cell count and blood sugar. Other immune markers are sometimes off due to extreme or moderate stress. When the body is pissed off, it takes it too the limit lol

Ok -- I was worried about red blood cell count being high and other related things being off but primary care doctor didn't seem concerned. However, I also have a low CD 57 which people usually interpret as having chronic Lyme disease (and it's also an immune system marker) but I've tested negative for Lyme in every expensive test done by a Lyme doctor. But now I'm worried that I have Lyme anyway because of that. The Lyme doctor said in did because that marker was the lowest she's ever seen. Also, my pregnenolone is basically absent. I just remember people saying something about how tests can be way off and that we can get diagnosed with conditions that we don't really have during this. But the most concerning is the low CD 57.

May I ask if you had an abnormal lab test that you are concerned about?

Yes. A low CD 57 which can indicate Lyme disease though I've always tested negative for Lyme even with both Western Blot and  Igenex testing.

When I was in tolerance w/d I went to a Neurologist who did an ANA blood screening test for autoimmune disorders and mine was high.  Then I went to a Rheumatologist for further testing and she ran more blood tests and then I was diagnosed with Lupus.  I have a procoagulant antibody in my blood and have a blood-clotting disorder.  I bleed and bruise very easily.  Also diagnosed with Thrombophilia.

When I was in tolerance w/d I went to a Neurologist who did an ANA blood screening test for autoimmune disorders and mine was high.  Then I went to a Rheumatologist for further testing and she ran more blood tests and then I was diagnosed with Lupus.  I have a procoagulant antibody in my blood and have a blood-clotting disorder.  I bleed and bruise very easily.  Also diagnosed with Thrombophilia.

Oh wow -- so those tests ended up being inaccurate?

I started having symptoms when in tolerance w/d and went to the docs for that.  I'm convinced my ANA autoimmune problem was caused by the benzo's and Z-drugs.  Damaged the cells in my body and my body elicited an immune response.  Drug-induced Lupus is a real ailment.

Oh wow -- so those tests ended up being inaccurate?

People in benzodiazepine withdrawal get diagnosed and labeled with a multitude of afflictions (including lime) to explain what we feel, but as we recover we realize these maladies have miraculously disappeared. 

Another way of looking at a diagnosis while withdrawing or recovering from benzo's is we're prompted to go to a doctor because of how badly we feel and they discover a condition we may have had before taking or discontinuing benzo's so it appears the benzo use caused it when in fact, the benzo may be the reason it was discovered.  At this point in time in the medical and scientific community, not enough is known to directly link certain diseases or maladies to benzodiazepine use.

I had a bunch of blood tests that were off especially in the beginning, they eventually all straightened out and look good now. Also withdrawal and benzos often mess with your immune system so that CD marker could be just a sign of the lowered immunity. That's hopefully temporary and will get back to normal as you keep taking care of yourself, and living healthy. Do get your primary to take a look at it though to make sure nothing else is wrong.

I was very healthy before I took the benzo's and Z-drugs and now I've been housebound for about 8 years now.  I haven't gone anywhere or done anything for over 8 years now.  I even spend all my holidays alone by myself too.  I used to work a job for 8 hours a day and then was able to come home and take care of all my other responsibilities.  Now I can't even work or barely take care of myself.  I had a seizure at work one day from not taking my Xanax the night before and that seizure damaged my brain and I knew that I'd never be able to work again ever.  I know for certain that the benzo's and Z-drugs caused permanent damage to my brain and nervous system.  Severe head pressure started after I got the drugs 10 years ago and I still have it.  I KNOW that it is brain damage from the benzo's and Z-drugs.  I can't even go out and drive my car anymore and it's been sitting in the driveway for weeks and I haven't even started it up in weeks either.  I also lost my appetite and thirst 9 years ago; more brain damage since those centers are in the brain.  I can barely even get the laundry done even though I do the best I can. 

I too was like you before benzos. Most of us were ;_; The stress that WD puts on us is rough and for many requires psychological help and lots of therapy to come out of it. I’m sorry you had a seizure and that you spend so much time alone. I know for me, that was making me so much worse. I was forced into therapy and forced to go outside over and over. I’m thankful for those that pushed me so hard or I would still be housebound as well.

We know you can pull yourself out of your home. We know that one day your appetite will come back. We know that with time, it will get better. Your body is healing every single day. That’s what it does. Please don’t convince yourself that you are sick, broken and unable to do things anymore. You can, we know you can. We are rooting for you, believe me :3

Thanks TB, I also have incontinence and OAB now from my damaged brain.  I can't even wear underpants in the evening because of my OAB and incontinence, and I keep towels on the bathroom floor for when I lose it.  That's why I never go anywhere.  I had an "accident" in the car last year and it was terrible.

Thanks TB, I also have incontinence and OAB now from my damaged brain.  I can't even wear underpants in the evening because of my OAB and incontinence, and I keep towels on the bathroom floor for when I lose it.  That's why I never go anywhere.  I had an "accident" in the car last year and it was terrible.

I have increased urinary frequency and I have to get up about 6 times a night. I used to drink tons of tea before bed and never had to go at night so this is new for me.  I'm hoping that will go away. It's awful, isn't it?

I started having symptoms when in tolerance w/d and went to the docs for that.  I'm convinced my ANA autoimmune problem was caused by the benzo's and Z-drugs.  Damaged the cells in my body and my body elicited an immune response.  Drug-induced Lupus is a real ailment.

Yes -- you're absolutely right. Anything stressful that the body/immune system goes through -- an accident, a virus, pharma damage and vaccinations -- it can all trigger illnesses especially dormant auto immune illnesses. I believe you -- that benzos caused your Lupus.

I had a bunch of blood tests that were off especially in the beginning, they eventually all straightened out and look good now. Also withdrawal and benzos often mess with your immune system so that CD marker could be just a sign of the lowered immunity. That's hopefully temporary and will get back to normal as you keep taking care of yourself, and living healthy. Do get your primary to take a look at it though to make sure nothing else is wrong.

That's great to hear about your blood tests returning to normal. I'm going to retest everything when I'm out of acute withdrawal. I think the CD 57 might be simply lowered immunity from withdrawal and not Lyme disease, as you say. The Lyme doctor tried to give me cipro for Lyme and I'm so glad that I was educated enough about people being floxxed that I declined the px.

I'm still not completely sure if the Lupus was caused by the benzo's or if the benzo's brought out the underlying Lupus.  My older sister has Lupus, too.

I can promise you the benzos did not bring it on. I’m part of an autoimmune family and I have two other friends who are part of an autoimmune family. It’s in your DNA ;_;

TB,  I know what happened to me, and I know the benzo's damaged my body and brain.  You're not a research scientist and haven't studied this issue, so you can't know for sure.  You're entitled to your own opinion. Don't invalidate what I say.  It's hurtful.