ECT

[V1...]

Forgive me if there is already a thread on this....not seeing it....but has anyone tried ECT in order to help with Benzo depression. Both my GP and PDOC are saying it is safe, and are suggesting I give it a try as nothing else seems to work for the depression....and I really need some depression help in place in order to taper off Clonazapam (been on it for 20 years).

Curious if others have tried....and if so what their experience/s were?

Thank you:)!

I know some members who have done ECT but not for benzo depression.  ECT may be “safe” but its not benign, please do a lot of research before agreeing to this procedure. 

There are some promising treatments using psychedelics and ketamine, have your doctors mentioned those?

I am sorry to hear that you have been struggling. I do not know your situation or how depression has affected your life. Definitely do heavy research before getting ECT. I am sure there are online forums like this one but specifically for people who have done it.

Thank you I truly appreciate the responses. I am concerned about ECT as well, so will research pretty thoroughly. Both my doctors who recommended it I do trust highly.....but it's still a very scary thought giving it a try.

I did try IV Ketamine...and it only worked during the treatment phase, but not the maintenance.That was actually my GP's first choice for me was the IV Ketamine.  I would like to try a low dose nasal ketamine spray (not Esketamine)....but one that is prescribed by a neurologist in my area and compounded at a pharmacy near here.....but the neurologist is the only one who prescribes it that I know of......and I have met with him....and he is definitely not a good fit for me as a provider (and would want to take over all my care in order to prescribe the low dose nasal)

What I like about the low dose spray is that it does not take you to the point of hallucinating like the IV (and I think Esketamine)....and works on a more consistent regular basis......but it's not mainstream unfortunately.

Yes, I'm having one awful time as I can't taper off the Clon until I find a solution to help my depression as it's way too severe (I do have some preexisting so that my be why it's not even remotely tolerable to go down without....and very hard to stay in one place even....without  depression help)......but tried so many AD's etc and just running out of options

Thank you for sharing your ketamine experience with us, I’m sorry the only person who can make the nasal spray available to you isn’t a good fit for your overall medical needs.

I’d never experienced depression until I started taking Ambien but as soon as I stopped it the darkness left, I’ll never forget the crushing weight it heaped on me, I’m so sorry this is what you have to live with. 

You may be able to find more posts on ECT by using these search engines, they’re much better than the forums.  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=251991.0

Hi! I was considering ECT after a failed attempt with TMS. Then I went to a facility where I met a few people who went through ETC treatment. One of them had a positive experience, but the four others were extremely unhappy with how it went for them. They talked me out of considering it as an option. You should definitely get as many opinions as you can before proceeding.

10 years ago I was an inpatient in a hospital to try ECT for depression. I lasted 6 sessions and realized my memory was being affected. So I left because it was scaring me. I was supposed to have 6 more sessions but I refused them against my doctor's advice. I was on benzos at the time but it wasn't even mentioned. I have been under the influence of benzos for who knows long? I took them for decades (as prescribed). Depression could have been a side effect from them. I never used to be depressed before I started taking them. At least not to the point of trying ECT. What a mess they made of my life - sending me again twice more in a mental hospital. Finally 6 years ago in the hospital (one of the best in this country) a doc took all of them away over the course of 3 weeks sending me into abrupt cold turkey which I am still trying to survive. Get educated docs and help us instead of ignoring us and wishing we would just shut up and go away. Will I ever recover? I truly don't know. Just a tiny bit of my terrible experience.

Mowgli, So sorry this happened to you. You are correct that benzos can cause depression and/or make it worse. Psych meds can also make depression worse. Psychiatrists do not seem too concerned about risks to long-term brain health.

Hello TiredofBeingTired.....wondered of the people who had negative experiences with ECT....what were they telling you their experiences were?

Scary to hear of memory being affected & Mowgli so sorry for your terrible experiences, I hope you do recover.

Pamster thank you for the search engine link to research!

Yes, I agree with you all Benzos have made a mess of my life too ...and I think my Benzo depression is worse than most because of pre existing condition, so just impossible to get off of until I at least diminish the depression. I guess we have to just do the best research and come up with best ideas we can to get ourselves out of it. I am lucky enough to have some docs who do care, they are just honestly stuck in how to help as well. I very much appreciate the help from you all on this site!.....wishing you all well too:)

Hi V1oletta,

The people I spoke to mostly had the same complaints. They all had severe memory issues. A couple of them sunk deeper into depression and felt traumatized by the experience. I don't know much beyond that because the memory stuff alone was enough to dissuade me from trying ECT

• 2 weeks later...
That's a terribly hard situation to be in and decide upon, given how bleak the options could seem. I also had a pre-existing condition of depression since childhood and I get where you are coming from. I'd been in MH facilities several times as well. In 2010 I was really in crisis and got an Rx of Effexor XR which was the only AD that ever helped, turned my world from black to grey. Has been 6 yrs since a 30 day rapid-detox off Clonazepam and I too have had terrible time with depression. I had tried Ketamine which was an interesting trip but nothing beyond that. I'd opt for trying other psychedelics but I don't qualify whilst still taking the ADs which, at the dosage I'm on, there's no chance I can get off them now. I've had several surgeries, last being the knee surgery within about a year. The pain meds were the only thing that ever lifted me out of depression. Of course they don't Rx off label for that otherwise my psychiatrist would have written an Rx for it. I had considered TMS but decided against it. I wouldn't even consider ECT. Wish I had better answers.