Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

Cece,

I have had thumping pulsatile tinnitus since the day I CT'd the meds.  It was like an unbalanced washing machine load with a couple pairs of tennis shoes inside the drum for about a year.  Then one day it went down to a soft throb.  As of three weeks ago, it is a faint whisper.

Don't let posts like the previous one scare you.  I do not know why some people post such things, except to frighten and discourage others with thoughts of doom and gloom.  It certainly serves no other purpose.

Please listen to me.  This all goes away.  Not in 5 or 7 years.  If you eat right, steer clear of drugs, supplements, alcohol and weed, withdrawal symptoms will not last this long for the majority of us.  Fear mongering is a dangerous thing.  Block people who thrive on it and wallow in it. 

Read positive posts written by people who encourage you and give you hope.  You have nothing to fear.  My tinnitus has pretty much burnt itself out and it was very strong and disturbing.  Even if it ends up being the last symptom to go, it will dampen down gradually over time, or even suddenly, to a manageable level until it completely snuffs itself out.  Mine is almost gone.

Sofa

I've had T and H for 16 years and it hasn't moved an inch. Every single sound since day one to this day causes a vibration in my ear, at the reflex level, so where the sound starts, so does the vibration. Feel free to block me.

There's a dangerous trend in the mainstream ENT crowd and the sound therapy crowd to call people like me ''negative'', and that's been one of the big reasons why to this day there's still no real treatment and why botox curing H is very important news.

Hi fellow suffers  :hug: I just found this, its a new system for Tinnitus  undergoing trials and its In USA. So the rest of us will have to  wait on this trial outcome as its now closed to volunteers, and I'm in UK anyway with totally fk off tinnitus ear probs and hyperacusis hell right now  ::) And like others mines not in my ears its actually in my brain the raging tinnitus, like having your head turned into an fkn sound surround speaker of unwanted sounds plus sounds side effects  :D :D :D Anyway that's my moan for today :P but check out this gizmo trial below.

The Serenity System® has been developed by MicroTransponder to treat tinnitus. The Serenity System® pairs an existing therapy called Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS) with listening to tones via headphones.  VNS has been used in the U.S. and around the world to treat over 90,000 patients for epilepsy and depression.

The device is fully implantable and is designed to be used at home.  During the therapy, an individual sits in a comfortable chair and wears headphones. They listen to tones while receiving small bursts of neurostimulation, which activate the vagus nerve.

To read more in depth information click the link below.

Informational page for a U.S. clinical trial for the treatment of tinnitus. http://www.tinnitustrial.com/

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi Nova, I have the "WHOLE BRAIN" tinnitus too.  It sucks!  Please keep an eye on the trial and report back hear if it works please.

I am sure in the next 10 years there will be a tinnitus fix.  Just waiting now.

I still envy this guy NO MORE T after a mild stroke.

discovermagazine.com/2010/oct/26-ringing-in-the-ears-goes-much-deeper

Birdy  :hug: To get the results of the tests, click on the link under ''Tinnitus Update List''  I only just noticed this as well

''We do plan to run additional tinnitus trials both the U.S. and outside the U.S.''

So people can still sign up if they want to take part in trials  :)

Informational page for a U.S. clinical trial for the treatment of tinnitus. http://www.tinnitustrial.com/

My hyperacusis and tinnitus  stopped completely for maybe over an hour in may and mine is really very server its bloody agony at the moment.. BUT is has waxed and waned here and there  from unbearable to bearable, and I didn't notice it had actually improved on and off from unbearable to bearable  until it hit yet another crescendo  :D  What I consider bearable maybe someone else's unbearable, I can only speak for myself. BUT...I'm the type of person that can usually put up with more discomfort than most if not everyone I know, and  I feel like my brains frying and going to poor melting and  bleeding outta my ears.  That's how bad well actually even worse than that when I class it as unbearable lately its at fever pitch AGAIN!! >:(

But is still fluctuates frequency wise my Tinnitus is also reactive to sounds and also ''impersonates'' different sounds and frequencies my hearing can detect and right now I can detect bloody Venusians talking with the hyperacusis. And the Tinnitus sounds like a dentist drill plus screaming banshees plus other  noises on top and it makes my ears and brain burn like fk.

And woe betide me if I touch them :o ear plugs are effing torture as well but I have to put them in sometimes although I try to avoid using them as it can make the hypersensitivity worse and as for the Tinnitus noises on top and it makes my ears and brain burn like fk      This illustration below besides lots of other unwanted crap I can actually here what's happening in the picture at the palpitation rate shown :(

http://i.imgur.com/Qxm6ayd.gif

Like I said the first small step is a lidocaine injection.  The effect only lasts for an hour but you will have your answer.  Botox just renders the TT muscle nonfunctional for 3 months instead of just an hour.  Lidocaine is very safe and non-permanent. Its a good place to start.

From my experience hyperacusis is much easier to fix than tinnitus.

http://www.newswise.com/articles/lidocaine-relieves-tinnitus-sufferers

My hyperacusis and tinnitus  stopped completely for maybe over an hour in may and mine is really very server its bloody agony at the moment.. BUT is has waxed and waned here and there  from unbearable to bearable, and I didn't notice it had actually improved on and off from unbearable to bearable  until it hit yet another crescendo  :D  What I consider bearable maybe someone else's unbearable, I can only speak for myself. BUT...I'm the type of person that can usually put up with more discomfort than most if not everyone I know, and  I feel like my brains frying and going to poor melting and  bleeding outta my ears.  That's how bad well actually even worse than that when I class it as unbearable lately its at fever pitch AGAIN!! >:(

But is still fluctuates frequency wise my Tinnitus is also reactive to sounds and also ''impersonates'' different sounds and frequencies my hearing can detect and right now I can detect bloody Venusians talking with the hyperacusis. And the Tinnitus sounds like a dentist drill plus screaming banshees plus other  noises on top and it makes my ears and brain burn like fk.

And woe betide me if I touch them :o ear plugs are effing torture as well but I have to put them in sometimes although I try to avoid using them as it can make the hypersensitivity worse and as for the Tinnitus noises on top and it makes my ears and brain burn like fk      This illustration below besides lots of other unwanted crap I can actually here what's happening in the picture at the palpitation rate shown :(

http://i.imgur.com/Qxm6ayd.gif

Poor Nova :'( :'( :'(    :therethere::hug:   

I've been there and it does get better but even I am shocked at how long some of these nagging ear symptoms can hang on.  It's just ridiculous!

It will get better with more time.

Birdy :smitten:

Hi I've just started Month 22 after jumping cold turkey. Anyway in the last few days I'd just started sleeping a lot better, like 8 hours a night. I'd really hoped this was a big sign of healing but to my horror in the last 48 hours I've developed the most severe tinnitus I've ever known. I've had tinnitus before and am quite used to it in fact but the last 48 hours has been like a dentist putting his drill in my ear, a constant high pitch ringing that not even the TV or HI-FI can mask, it's also making me feel dizzy and strange when I'm on my feet too. I guess I'd just love to hear from someone who had this happen late in their withdrawal/recovery and that it was just a phase and not permanent! Thanks for your time :thumbsup:

Hi I've just started Month 22 after jumping cold turkey. Anyway in the last few days I'd just started sleeping a lot better, like 8 hours a night. I'd really hoped this was a big sign of healing but to my horror in the last 48 hours I've developed the most severe tinnitus I've ever known. I've had tinnitus before and am quite used to it in fact but the last 48 hours has been like a dentist putting his drill in my ear, a constant high pitch ringing that not even the TV or HI-FI can mask, it's also making me feel dizzy and strange when I'm on my feet too. I guess I'd just love to hear from someone who had this happen late in their withdrawal/recovery and that it was just a phase and not permanent! Thanks for your time :thumbsup:

Hi STUCKINDOORS, 

It gets better but it is a very slow process, like you never heard that before ::)

My tinnitus still sounds like this 

It's so hard to get "NORMAL" people to understand the total horrors some of us hear in our ears during w/d

It should get better but try going to bed later at night.  Sleeping too long can double glutamate and cut gaba.  It's a brain balancing thing. I know it sounds weird.

For many people too much sleep creates anxiety the next day.  My Shrink told me he never recommends more than 5-6 hours sleep for his clients with high anxiety. 

Makes sense, it's hard to have anxiety when your yawning all day :laugh:

Also A sleep deprived brain makes more gabaA receptors and that helps with tinnitus.  I read about it in so many articles over the years.  My bedtime is 2:00 AM on work days and 3 to 4AM on weekends.  It helps!!  I usually watch scary movies late at night which keep me up just fine.  Last  night was THE BOY 2016 and BEYOND THE DOOR.  Not bad movies at all ;D

Hi STUCKINDOORS, 

It gets better but it is a very slow process, like you never heard that before ::)

It's so hard to get "NORMAL" people to understand the total horrors some of us hear in our ears during w/d

It should get better but try going to bed later at night.  Sleeping too long can double glutamate and cut gaba.  It's a brain balancing thing. I know it sounds weird.

For many people too much sleep creates anxiety the next day.  My Shrink told me he never recommends more than 5-6 hours sleep for his clients with high anxiety. 

Also A sleep deprived brain makes more gabaA receptors and that helps with tinnitus.  I read about it in so many articles over the years.  My bedtime is 2:00 AM on work days and 3 to 4AM on weekends.  It helps!!  I usually watch scary movies late at night which keep me up just fine.  Last  night was THE BOY 2016 and BEYOND THE DOOR.  Not bad movies at all ;D

I had never heard about the connection between sleep deprivation and gaba receptors, that's interesting. I have noticed my tinnitus tends to be quieter on days where I don't sleep enough, nd louder when I get a long solid sleep. I don't wake up with anxiety, but the tinnitus could still be loud. I've noticed if I don't get up right away and try to sleep in, that makes it worse. It's frustrating because I want to get as much rest as I can during withdrawal, but I don't want to make the tinnitus worse either. :(

Hi STUCKINDOORS, 

I had never heard about the connection between sleep deprivation and gaba receptors, that's interesting. I have noticed my tinnitus tends to be quieter on days where I don't sleep enough, nd louder when I get a long solid sleep. I don't wake up with anxiety, but the tinnitus could still be loud. I've noticed if I don't get up right away and try to sleep in, that makes it worse. It's frustrating because I want to get as much rest as I can during withdrawal, but I don't want to make the tinnitus worse either. :(

Total opposite for me, not only is my tinnitus worse without sleep, all my other sxs are worse, too! 

Hi STUCKINDOORS, 

Total opposite for me, not only is my tinnitus worse without sleep, all my other sxs are worse, too!

We are all so different.  The only rule is "DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU"  :thumbsup:

Hi all  :hug: Its not until something bothers you that you realise sometimes things get better ::) I couldn't tolerate plastic bags  crinkling and  certain other noises along with overall persistent pain from surrounding sounds and ambient sounds. I was so wrapped up in the continuing sound effecting me  that I never notice that plastic bags had stopped bothering me until now because once again its bloody painful >:(

And its not only audible sound but its that and vibration, opening my curtains is hell and so is opening the roller blinds the sound and vibration travelling through my hands an along my body together is agony :D And after all, ALL sound is vibration anyway, and we don't just hear with our ears, we hear with our bodies as well that's why ear plugs may not do FA or make it worse as it does in my case. Where as when it first started ear plugs helped with the tinnitus but now causes it.

But its catch 22, I can't bear ambient sounds and wake easily from a faint sound miles away so got to put them in otherwise I'd have no sleep at al and its not great as it is. So what I am saying is sometimes we really believe its never changing or ever it will as its the worst symptoms for some people but it does maybe we don't notice as its bad overall.

Today really bought it home to me that it may  not last long but it does ease off more than I realised sometimes, if its doing that then its got to be repairing even though it fells FA is happing except I'm still suffering, and its probably the same for others of you on this thread and other threads as well. We tend to dwell by no fault of our on on what afflicts us the most, how can we not under such extreme suffering for some of us plus the chemical effects from everything taking our thoughts and emotions over? 

I know my thinking and perception  is definitely warped on times right now in this moment, I am very aware of it. But then the veil drops again and ''surreal, unreal'' becomes the ''real'' once again trapped and lost in a mist of chemical induced madness and suffering that blinds us to what good maybe happening inside us at any time. It reminds me of a verse from the song ''These dreams' By Heart.....

The sweetest song is silence

That I've ever heard

Funny how your feet

In dreams never touch the earth

In a wood full of princes

Freedom is a kiss

But the prince hides his face

From dreams in the mist

And after all, ALL sound is vibration anyway,

i am way more bothered by the vibrations than i am of sound or noises. it's almost like the injury is an entity of it's own and it hears things or rather "feels" things and reacts before i even have a chance to react. i can also feel the vibration first when my brother has his coffee even before i can smell it. i can literally feel the vibration of coffee. it has a heaviness to it. very very heavy substance. i can only imagine what that does to the body and brain having it every day. i haven't had coffee since the c/t over 4 years now.

Hey Bird,

I've been meaning to comment on your "SURVEY SAYS,,,,, 5-7 years" post a couple weeks back.  It is hard to hear, but I think we're better off knowing that than not.  And it actually is a ray of hope for any like me who have been benzo free for 20 months but still having T and other ear problems that are sometimes bad enough to fire up the "can this really have been caused by just 4 months of clonazepam" doubts.  So, thanks for sharing your research.

So, what does your research say about alcohol in strict moderation (1-2 drinks a week).  A weakness of mine....

It's amazing to me that tuning down the sensitivity of the brain with benzo's has such a long rebound time.  It's just unfair!  I have never dealt with anything that takes this long to repair (heal).  There is something fundamentally wrong with the repair mechanism in the brain when it comes to these chemicals.

As most of you know I am not afraid to experiment.  I can tell you this that it is NOT damage.  I know since I took a fist full of xanax a few times just to see what would happen and I  returned to a normal state of mind and sound for a few days.  This was enough to teach me a few things. We will heal and we are not damaged

(Unless you want to believe benzo's in high doses can heal :laugh:)

Our brains are simply in some kind of "HYPER-DRIVE" and do not want to shut down.

It's like a flight or fight response that's a self fulfilling syndrome. A loop that just does not want to power down and is self sustaining.

My instinct tells me tapers are still done too fast for some of us.

It's amazing to me that tuning down the sensitivity of the brain with benzo's has such a long rebound time.  It's just unfair!  I have never dealt with anything that takes this long to repair (heal).  There is something fundamentally wrong with the repair mechanism in the brain when it comes to these chemicals.

As most of you know I am not afraid to experiment.  I can tell you this that it is NOT damage.  I know since I took a fist full of xanax a few times just to see what would happen and I  returned to a normal state of mind and sound for a few days.  This was enough to teach me a few things. We will heal and we are not damaged

Our brains are simply in some kind of "HYPER-DRIVE" and do not want to shut down.

It's like a flight or fight response that's a self fulfilling syndrome. A loop that just does not want to power down and is self sustaining.

I think so too

Hey, in addition to a big increase in the volume of my tinnitus, particularly in my left ear, I've started getting ZAPS in my left ear too? It's like brain zaps that I've had before but localised to my left ear? It doesn't feel like it's coming from deep inside the ear canal, and I'm able to lay on it, unlike an ear infection etc. Just wondered if anyone else in the group has had these electric shock like sensations in their ears before and if so how long it took to pass. Thanks :thumbsup:

I know since I took a fist full of xanax a few times just to see what would happen and I  returned to a normal state of mind and sound for a few days.

i did this experiment many times myself. but there is a certain point or threshold and if you go to far than you won't return back to totally normal but you may feel normal again for an hour or two. but then it turns on you, but i do get what you're saying.

Hey, in addition to a big increase in the volume of my tinnitus, particularly in my left ear, I've started getting ZAPS in my left ear too? It's like brain zaps that I've had before but localised to my left ear? It doesn't feel like it's coming from deep inside the ear canal, and I'm able to lay on it, unlike an ear infection etc. Just wondered if anyone else in the group has had these electric shock like sensations in their ears before and if so how long it took to pass. Thanks :thumbsup:

I get the ear zaps too. They can be in the left ear one day, then switch to the right ear the next day, and then both ears. They come and go for me. I get them a lot for several days whenever I make a cut, then they fade until the next cut.

I get the ear zaps too. They can be in the left ear one day, then switch to the right ear the next day, and then both ears. They come and go for me. I get them a lot for several days whenever I make a cut, then they fade until the next cut.

I get them as well  for no apparent reasons other than withdrwal/healing :sick: I have also realised why, although its bad anyway, my Hyperacusis has sky rocketed the last couple of days. I did a totally accidental updose of 1/8th which I've done twice before in the last year and ALL 3 times I felt a lot worse and certain symptoms went through the roof. I'm hoping that and the T will calm down soon.

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

So yesterday after all this year having tinnitus that is either screaming at me or quiet enough that I can work around it I woke up with zero tinnitus and stayed that way all day :) until I went to sleep at about 10pm then woke up an hr or so later to medium tinnitus. :( This is a first for me as normally depending where I am in a cut cycle it is either base line or anything up to screaming.

Yesterday was the second day of a cut down to .156mg of k (about 1/3 of my starting dose).

Today I have tinnitus again but it is not really bad.

This whole benzo thing blows my mind. :tickedoff:

I think so too

Hi Bart,  Hope your feeling good these days  :thumbsup:

I know since I took a fist full of xanax a few times just to see what would happen and I  returned to a normal state of mind and sound for a few days.

i did this experiment many times myself. but there is a certain point or threshold and if you go to far than you won't return back to totally normal but you may feel normal again for an hour or two. but then it turns on you, but i do get what you're saying.

My brain seems to react slower than other people.  I do not feel cuts for a month and when s/x finally come around I have to do extra long holds.  The one time I took 15 mg of Xanax in an 18 hour period it kept my brain and ears together for a few days and then I had a few days of total hell after.

It's elegant proof we are not damaged. 

I just want to understand why our brains seem to prefer being in this hyper state rather than a relaxed state.  Benzo's are such bizarre drugs.

So yesterday after all this year having tinnitus that is either screaming at me or quiet enough that I can work around it I woke up with zero tinnitus and stayed that way all day :) until I went to sleep at about 10pm then woke up an hr or so later to medium tinnitus. :( This is a first for me as normally depending where I am in a cut cycle it is either base line or anything up to screaming.

Yesterday was the second day of a cut down to .156mg of k (about 1/3 of my starting dose).

Today I have tinnitus again but it is not really bad.

This whole benzo thing blows my mind. :tickedoff:

This is normal.  Until you quit expect a roller coaster ride of good and bad days with the good days eventually winning out.    Just do not ever feel you have to push the taper too fast.