How do you know if you are going too fast? Diazepam

[lo...]

I've been on benzos since 2016. I abused them following a severe trauma. I was on klonopin for years and then switched to valium a couple of years ago. I started using street presses (Chinese research chemical benzos) super strong, not every day but I'd binge on them a few times a month. I had to go to the hospital two or three times to do a taper down to a maintenance dose, which ended up being 5 mg valium.

I'm serious about getting off now so I went from:

week 1 - 5 mg

week 2 - 3.75mg

week 3- 2.5

week 4 - 1.25

And now I'm stuck on 1.25mg. I feel hungover constantly. I never feel rested. There is a squeezing feeling in my head. Did I go too fast? If so, what is the advice? Do you updose, or just hold your current dose until it feels better? Thank you

Is the Valium you’re on now pharmaceutical?  If you feel you need to go up in dose a bit, will you have enough pills to support that and a longer slower taper?

Your taper has been very rapid, and the thing is, if you’re taking real Valium, it can take your body awhile to fully realize the drop in dose because its got a long half-life so what you’re feeling now may be just the start.

Are you functional, can you perform your daily activities?  If you don’t go up in dose but instead hold this dose for a time, can you take care of things in your life?

Yes, it's pharmaceutical. How long do you think it could take my body to feel the taper?

I'm functional--I can do my job, and "fake" being a "normal" person but I feel hungover constantly. Zyprexa helps me sleep at night. Do you think I should hold it? Thanks for your advice

I’m working with a member who has reported their first symptoms showed up 9 days after their reduction, I’ve seen up to 3 weeks.  There is a reason Professor Ashton chose 1-2 week holds between reductions, this is to account for our different metabolizing rates and half life of the drug.

If we taper too quickly, the drops in dose can catch up to us so holding between reductions until your symptoms between cuts settle will hopefully allow you to continue functioning. 

I’d sure hold this dose for a week or two if you have enough pills just to make sure you’re not going to get hit too severely.

We tell members that when they feel they’re stable, it’s time to reduce again.  Stable to us means our symptoms have quit changing drastically, they’ve settled a bit.  It can also mean you can perform your daily tasks like showering and simple meal preparation, it typically doesn’t mean feeling good.

Updosing is a last resort but worth contemplating if you’re not functional, holding is better in hopes your body will acclimate soon.  Do you consider yourself stable using our definition?

I'm not sure if I consider stable -- does stability by this definition mean you can feel really depressed? I tend to feel better in the morning and start feeling back and hungover as the afternoon progresses.

Depression is common but only you can determine how much you can withstand.  If your depression is too much for you then it should be factored into your decision, is it a chronic condition or is it from the benzo?

It's honestly difficult to tell if it's caused by a benzo since I was put on them after a terrifying , heartbreaking event and the trauma was always interspersed with benzo use. I just feel "hungover" -- it's this feeling of being chemically off...and it worsens as the day goes on. it's scary because i wonder if it's just me--that would be terrible.

I'm seeing a therapist but nothing seems to heal me. Is it true that your brain and emotions only start healing once the valium has left your body, or can you start getting better if you are only taking a small amount? Do some people rush the taper so that they can start healing sooner?

It seems like most people rush the taper under the mistaken belief that they need to get the drug out of their body as soon as possible not realizing the changes the drug made can’t be repaired that quickly leaving them non functional.

As you withdraw the drug, your body is working hard to regain normal function, just as it does when you’re benzo free.  And if you’re like us, people who suffer from taking and discontinuing these drugs, it doesn’t matter what our dose size is, it hurts and our only answer seems to be to taper off and recover from dour use.