Taper from 1 mg of Clonazapam

[Ze...]

I have started reducing 1 mg of Klonopin and am not sure if my plan is correct.  Dr Ashton says to start slow, between 5-10%, so my plan is to go down in 8% dosages, so I am doing this by reducing the weight of two .5 mg of klonopin tablets by 8%.  I am in just my 2nd week.  My question is: starting my 3rd week, since I plan to taper again at 8%, I assume I taper from the remaining 92%, or the weight that is left of the remaining klonopin tablets.

Does sound correct?  Or am I not figuring this correctly?

Thanks for any replies…

Zebra Echo

Hi Zebraecho,

Yes, there are two ways to compute the percent:

Method 1 in grams = 1, 0.92, 0.84, 0.76, 0.68, 0.60, 0.52, 0.44, 0.36, 0.28, 0.20, 0.12, 0.04

Method 2 in grams = 1, 0.92, 0.85, 0.78, 0.72, 0.66, 0.61, 0.56, 0.51, 0.47, 0.43, 0.40, 0.37

Method 1 above is reducing the original 8% (0.08 grams) for each reduction.

Method 2 is way you asked about, tapering from the remaining 92%

I have seen success both ways. 

Here is some more advice.

I have seen many tapers.  Everyone does very well at the first attempt but if they updose (or get off and get back on again), the next taper attempt gets harder.  It is like you get one free taper in life.  I have seen this many times.  So do not go too fast or you will get sick and then be tempted to updose.

Also, you should hold for at least 10 days or until your symptoms are tolerable, whichever is longer.

Remember, you got on benzos for a reason so as you taper off, the original problem may still be there.  Do not confuse the original problem with symptoms.  You need to work on non-benzo ways to resolve your issue WHILE you are tappering.

Hey, Thanks Bob,

Yes, I thought about method 1, which at the end is a little faster, but I am not going to be in a hurry since I have been on it for so loooong.  I understand about going too fast as this is what I have tried in past without doing any research and failing so many times.  Heck, I have been on it for so long, I’m not feeling in any hurry now, plus I think this board will definitely help if I should get in trouble.  Many years ago, I started going into atrial fibrillation and my doc thought it was because of anxiety, so he prescribed klonopin 1mg 3 x a day.  At the time I had a busy dental practice, and many times doing a crown or surgically extracting a tooth I would go into AF.  After taking klonopin 3x daily for about a year or so I realized I needed to get off because the klonopin wasn’t stopping the AF.

I got it down to 1 mg/day, but never got it any lower.  In 2003 I had an ablation for the AF, and it cured me, but the klonopin addiction was there and I was sleeping fairly well, so I just kept on keeping on, and when I tried to stop I didn’t hardly sleep at all, and I needed my sleep to practice.  I have been retired for some time now, so no reason not to stop.  I am healthy otherwise and not on any other meds, so hopefully I will be successful quitting Klonopin.

I have seen many tapers.  Everyone does very well at the first attempt but if they updose (or get off and get back on again), the next taper attempt gets harder.  It is like you get one free taper in life.  I have seen this many times.  So do not go too fast or you will get sick and then be tempted to updose.

I haven't done well on my first attempt. I've had unbearable symptoms the whole way down, and I've been plenty cautious and have gone slow. I wish I had gotten one free taper, but that's not how it goes for everyone. Also, I was only on K for 2 months daily and 1.5 months PRN before that. It just hits everyone differently. How are you doing these days, Bob?

Wishing you the best in your taper, Zebraecho.