Help with Ativan/Lorazepam Taper

[sa...]

Hello. I am looking for help with a taper schedule. I just don't know where to start. I have been on benzos since July 14, so just over 2 months. I've been on Xanax, Temazepam and now Ativan. I feel like it's no longer working and I don't want to increase dose. I'm overly emotional, crying all the time and get a burning sensation in my skin in chest area between doses. It's not helping my insomnia anymore which is what it was prescribed for and was given for anxiety starting lexapro (that was awful and I got off of in a few weeks).  Basically I take 1 mg a day (.5 around noon and .5 before bed).

I'm not sure switching to Valium will be necessary because of short time and low amount but my psych is willing to do it if it's easier on me. Seeing as I'm getting interpose withdrawal now I'm worried. So I'm looking for some advice on a lorazepam taper. Should it be .25 4 times a day type thing? Taking out .25 every 7 days? Once the pill is cut one, cutting it again isn't very easy to accurately dose. I'm just lost on where to start and end. Anyone have a similar situation?

sorry about that. I added info to my signature. but yes I am only on Ativan right now.

*Ativan .5 mg twice a day started 7/14/22 by PCP (temporary)

*Switched to Xanax .5 mg twice a day by Psych 8/15/22 and given Temazepam 15 mg for sleep (30 day supply).

*Switched back to Ativan .5 mg twice a day 9/13/22 by psych since longer lasting. No more Temazepam (temporary).

I hope given your short time on the drug that you can do a somewhat rapid taper to limit your exposure length but if you're already dealing with interdose, its likely you're already dependent and a slow taper will be necessary.  What size are your pills, are they 1 mg or .5?

They are .5 mg. I was thinking of cutting them in half and doing .25 4 times a day. I am going to speak with my psych about liquid at my f/u because cutting them into 1/4 is very difficult. And I'm not sure I need to switch to valium...seems unnecessary with the short time I've been on. 

Lots of people successfully taper Ativan directly by dosing multiple times a day. If you're okay with managing the interdose withdrawal you can do it. Liquid might be easier to taper especially if you're splitting your dose in four.

Ativan is available in liquid form from the manufacturer. https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/ 

I agree with you and jelly baby, your best option is to taper from the Ativan.  If you are thinking about spreading your doses out, be sure to not do any reductions until your body gets used to the change because it will mostly not be too happy at first. 

Ok that makes sense. I was going to start the .25 four times a day tomorrow when I'm off work and give it a week. My f/u isn't until October so that would give plenty of time to get used to 4 times a day then start a taper. I feel better having a plan and having slightly more control. thanks for the input.