My taper plan looks like 2 1/2 years! Is this accurate???

[BW...]

Hi,

I just projected out my taper schedule at 5% cut every 2 weeks, and it looks like it's going to take me 2 1/2 years to taper from my current dosage of 1.25mg Lorazepam (I started tapering from 1.5mg in July).  I find this hard to digest.  Does this seem accurate?  Anyone able to taper a little faster or is this pretty typical?  I remember printing off a possible taper schedule by CedarTree in the Lorazepam support group that seemed faster than this.  I know everyone is different; I'm just looking for different ideas.

Thanks in advance,

BWarrior

(I also posted this in the Lorazepam support group)

What spreadsheet are you using to do your calculations?

I'm not a fan of taper plans and spreadsheets because I believe tapering according to your symptoms is the more balanced approach.  Tapers need to be adjusted from time to time to account for life events and symptom increases or decreases so I'm not sure printing out a daunting schedule lasting over two years is useful for practical purposes not to mention its discouraging.

I agree with Pamster!

But I do agree that your math is correct. Some can go faster, say 10% every 2 weeks, others can only do 5% every month.

It’s all individual!

Don’t have a schedule, through it out!

Some times you may be able to cut more, sometimes less.

You got this!

The entire point is to get off safely.

Winnie

Hi Pamster & WinnieDog,

I'm just using an Excel spreadsheet where I did an autosum of taking 5% off of my previous dose every 2 weeks.  Obviously, the first few weeks have a larger cut, and then at the end it gets down to miniscule cuts which are going to be difficult to measure.  My primary dr. is willing to prescribe a compounding liquid, and we talked about doing that once I get down to 1mg.

Thank you both for your support.

WinnieDog--I noticed in your signature line 2 things: 1) you said you had a setback after allergy testing.  I'm scheduled for skin allergy testing in November because I'm dealing with mucus/cough that can be very debilitating, and if allergy meds/shots can help, I need to do it.  I'm really suffering.  Do you know what about the testing created the setback for you?  2) I also take Trazedone for sleep.  Do you still take it?  Thanks so much!

BWarrior

Warrior, I don't know if this will make you feel better or not . . . but plenty of us had long tapers. Mine lasted over 3 years. I crept down at tiny amounts, but apart from a period when my cuts were too big, I felt more or less okay. I was functional, I could work and drive, see my friends even though I felt low-level crappy. I do agree with the others. Don't get wedded to a schedule. I did, which led me into a world of hurt temporarily.

Best to you . . . and don't fret about the time this will take.

:smitten:

Katz

OregonKatz,

Thanks for your support.  I guess I'm worried because I'm at the beginning of my taper and already not functioning at a normal level.  I do admit that I have other health issues going on that contribute:  serious mucus/cough issues that are debilitating some days; occasional nosebleeds, and agoraphobia that probably have more to do with these health issues than the tapering. 

I'm hoping that if my mucus/cough are allergies (which I'm pursuing now) and I can get that under control, it will make the tapering process much easier.

BWarrior