Advice on Xanax taper

[Wa...]

Hey all, I’ll. Try to keep this brief.  I was prescribed 1mg Xanax for around 20 year as for sleep. Not well educated at all about what I was taking.  So after bad advice and a 2 week taper in May I was off completely for 15 weeks. Insomnia and anxiety we’re intolerable.  Also keep in mind I’ve been sleep deprived for a very long time because I was in tolerance and didn’t know that was the problem.  I have a lot of good things going on in my life that I want to be present for and the insomnia was making it impossible.  So.. I found a “benzo wise” psych in July.  After 15 weeks off he reinstated me and told me that I would stabilize when I find my correct updose number and then we could begin a smooth slow taper.  Lies.  He has basically been making me medicate myself and has labeled me with all sorts of anxiety disorders and depression which I know are from the reinstatement .. I am now at 2.5 mg per day which I distribute 4 times a day.  I do not want to go any higher because I think my body is telling me no.  I need not tell you that all is not normal, I don’t sleep well or much and anxiety creeps up when it’s close to time for a dose.  This is ruling my and my husbands life. I am going to fire the doctor and  I want to start to taper.  I have a GP who is willing to help.  I know now that reinstating was not a good idea so please don’t beat me up.  I just need good solid advice from the only people I trust.. people who have been where I am.  Suggestions for tapering please ❤️🙏🏻

I'm really sorry you find yourself in this position but I tend to agree with you not to increase your dose anymore.  Do you have a preferred method of tapering in mind?

Thanks, do you want to wait until you can get the lower dose or are you looking to start now?

Did your doctor put you on any other meds to treat the imaginary labels he saddled you with?

He tried.  He had me choose an SNRI myself.. go figure.  I tried Cymbalta and only took 4 doses.  It made me sick and gave me thoughts we won’t speak of.  That was 3 weeks ago so I know that’s out of me.  Also Seraquel for sleep.. tried 3 Nights last week and it doesn’t work and made me feel rotten the next day.  Suggesting Prozac.. I don’t want it.  My problem is the Xanax.  I am sure of it.  I would like to start asap but my husband and I need good education.  He will be doing the measurements as that is part of his professional skill. 

You might want to browse through The Xanax Club too. It helps to get an idea from people who are tapering the same drug as you. If you want to do direct tapering, it will involve shaving and weighing your pills. You'll need a scale for that and some people use a strong nail file. But this will be easier if you get a lower dose pill.

I'm very glad you're first educating yourself before jumping in. It's really good to know what options you have available and exactly how to taper before you start. This eliminates mistakes. Please keep asking..