Dry cutting 0.25 mg clonazepam disintegrating tablet

[...]

Hi Everyone:

Has anyone had experience dry cutting 0.25 mg clonazepam disintegrating tablet? Disintegrating tablet are the only form of 0.25mg clonazepam that I can get. I am about to move from cutting 0.5mg tablets to 0.25 mg disintegrating tablet and I was wondering if anyone has had any issues cutting them. I am not sure if they will crumble when  start cutting.

Thanks for your help, AWB

Tip of the hat for using the proper terminology to refer to this dosage form — i.e. Orally Disintegrating Tablets or ODTs.

Many of our members mistakenly refer to these as ‘dissolvable tablets’ when in fact they are ‘disintegrating tablets’. ‘Dissolvable’ implies that the clonazepam molecules in the tablet go into solution in the presence of saliva.  This is not the case.  Instead, the tablet (including the clonazepam molecules in the tablet) disintegrates (disperses/falls apart) in the presence of saliva.

In the US, there are currently three manufacturers of clonazepam ODTs: Teva, Par, and Sun.  Of the three, Sun is the least ‘crumbly’ (it’s newer on the market and uses a different manufacturing technology).  What is the manufacturer of the ODTs you are using?

Members I’ve read about who dry cut ODTs include:

KlonopinQuitterinCO

1hopeful

wavesontheshore

You might find it helpful to read through their posting histories to learn more. 

Or you could try sending them a PM asking if they would be willing to visit this thread to share their experiences. Per forum guidelines, questions and discussions related to tapering should be conducted on the open forum (not via PM) so all may benefit (and also so any misconceptions and/or incorrect information can be identified and corrected).

Lastly, have you tried using the search function to find other members with experience?

Note:

The last time wavesontheshore was active on the forum was August 17, 2019.  If memory serves, she dry cut the Par ODTs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey AWB,

I use the 0.125 disintegrating Clonazapem and have really liked them. I find them easier to weigh and cut and feel more accurate since you have 4 of those pills (heavier on scale and you are confident in the full pills accuracy so it’s less worrisome for me on the one I’m cutting) to 1 of the 0.5s. Plus it’s very satisfying every time I’m ‘done’ with 1 more pill!!

I’m not sure the manufacturer- I’ll have to look and see… but I luckily didn’t have any issues switching from the orange 0.5s to these, so I’m glad for that. I did take it slow and use half of an orange and shave down one 0.125 for a few weeks though to ease on to this med. made math confusing for a few weeks but then it’s been much easier!

I’m down to half of my last 0.125… it’s getting tougher and debating doing a liquid, but I’m still functional so don’t want to make any drastic changes if I don’t have to!

Hey AWB,

I use the 0.125 disintegrating Clonazapem and have really liked them. I find them easier to weigh and cut and feel more accurate since you have 4 of those pills (heavier on scale and you are confident in the full pills accuracy so it’s less worrisome for me on the one I’m cutting) to 1 of the 0.5s. Plus it’s very satisfying every time I’m ‘done’ with 1 more pill!!

I’m not sure the manufacturer- I’ll have to look and see… but I luckily didn’t have any issues switching from the orange 0.5s to these, so I’m glad for that. I did take it slow and use half of an orange and shave down one 0.125 for a few weeks though to ease on to this med. made math confusing for a few weeks but then it’s been much easier!

I’m down to half of my last 0.125… it’s getting tougher and debating doing a liquid, but I’m still functional so don’t want to make any drastic changes if I don’t have to!

So glad you've gotten below 0.1 mg. That's great! So why did you decide to switch from the Accord 0.5 mg tablets to these? Sounds like you feel like you're getting more accuracy. Were the standard tablets crumbling too much? I'm just curious, as I'm using the orange tablets still and have been for my entire taper. I'm glad you didn't have any issues switching. I'd be interested to know what the manufacturer is as well. Thank you!

Hi KlonopinQuitterinCO....

first of all congratulations on getting to 0.125 and below. That's quite the accomplishment. Thanks for your input.

I am glad to be using the the ODT 0.250mg. (PAR) although there was an adjustment period switching to the new formula from the 0.5mg Teva. I too have found the 0.250mg tablets easier to cut but am having some problems getting an accurate weight. What type/brand of scale are you using? This will be come important at the lower cuts.

Thanks again, AWB

Thanks for the encouragement. I had a tough night last night so need it this morning!

I’m using PAR 0.125mg disintegrating tablets. I like having these in a smaller dose (vs 0.5 pills) and feel it’s more accurate that way. I’d be at less than 1/8th of a pill with those now and instead I’m at a little less than half a pill with these.

I use Smart weigh gem20 scale from Amazon. It’s been fine until now where I’m at a low dose and I’m not sure if it’s because of inaccurate weighing or because I’m below 0.1 now, but it’s been a lot harder lately. I go to an osteopath and have cranial work done every other week, and he’s even noted my brain swelling is worse of late, and that happens to some people at lower doses… your body and nervous system is struggling to stay regulated  (luckily he’s benzo wise and even knew of Ashton method!)

I’m keeping on right now with slowing down to .001 cuts every few days, but I likely need to make a change to either liquid or adding a filler. But I’m nervous to make a change and be even worse off. I work full time and have two young kids, and trying to stay functional. I may slow down even more, but worry this last .058 will take me a year to get off of at that rate!

Wishing you all the best - the disintegrating tablets have worked well for me since around 0.45mg - I moved to these after cutting day pill and when I knew I needed to be more accurate for night (insomnia is my biggest challenge) And I love getting ‘done’ with 1 of the pills (I was using 3 full and cutting 1 at that point) I’ve found it to be helpful to really help me see how low I’m getting!

Thanks for your response. So you completely cut out your daytime dose all the way to zero? How has that worked out for you?

I considered doing that multiple times, but my body seems to do better when I'm cutting on both at the same time. My daytime dose is 41% of my total dose currently. It had been a lot less, but I decided to even them up after to talking to multiple people. I've also tried to wait to take my dose in the morning until later, and that hasn't seemed to work well, so I got concerned about interdose wd. I would've loved to have gone to one dose a day.

I tried smashing my tablets into powder and putting it into capsules for a week and had a lot of trouble, but it may work great for you. Liquids did not work for me.

Hey KlonopinQuitterinCO:

Your doing great. Sorry you've had such a rough time. I do understand that the brain will return to a normal balance but it does take time. Some more than others.

One thing that has helped me get through the rough parts and bit of a game changer is a book "At Last A Life" by Paul David who had to deal with his anxiety for 10 years. It was written for people that have anxiety and how to deal with it. A little hope goes a long way in letting go of the fear. 

Thanks for the information. I have the same scale as you. So I guess when I get to those lower weights I'll have to do the best I can. I would like to stay with dry cutting to the jump.

Stay safe, AWB