decision to taper off very slowly off Klonopin

[ke...]

Hi,

I have decided against the substitution method and am going to try tapering off slowly. 

Currently, I am on .5 mg three times a day. 

My current mode of thinking is this for the first two weeks: drop the overall dosage by cutting out the last dosage by one quarter of a tablet (.125) and see how I do.

I've done the math on this and it's simple: it's a one-twelfth cut. or a little over eight percent cut, which isn't bad. 

Being on this for 31 years, I think this is OK. 

I am going to need to figure out the best mode of cutting down further from this first cut. 

I need to move very slowly. 

Any suggestions? 

Thank you,

kestrel28

Hi,

I have decided against the substitution method and am going to try tapering off slowly. 

Currently, I am on .5 mg three times a day. 

My current mode of thinking is this for the first two weeks: drop the overall dosage by cutting out the last dosage by one quarter of a tablet (.125) and see how I do.

I've done the math on this and it's simple: it's a one-twelfth cut. or a little over eight percent cut, which isn't bad. 

Being on this for 31 years, I think this is OK. 

I am going to need to figure out the best mode of cutting down further from this first cut. 

I need to move very slowly. 

Any suggestions? 

Thank you,

kestrel28

Have you looked at the Ashton manual https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

It's got taper schedules and info, it's old so the cuts may be a bit aggressive if you want to dry cut.

I'm dry cutting - I was on 75mg valium, that's 3.25mg klonopin equivalent, im down to 13mg, when I get to 10mg I will do a daily liquid cut.

I tapered before with a daily liquid cut, painlessly, I only got back on sleepers due to stressful circumstances, not a bad taper.

I "slid off" using daily cuts, smoothly, no pain, the dry cuts are ok for me at the moment, but when you get lower, it can get sore for some, so the liquid daily cuts worked for me.

I was scared stiff my first taper, but making the daily liquid cuts became second nature, and keeping a record book of date, cut size, new dose and any comments was really helpful.

Many who listen to their bodies and take it nice and slow, find it easy, the people who don't have problems don't tend to post, there must be loads of them, but we are here to help.

I don't have any suggestions but I can tell you how I reduced Klonopin.  I was on 1 mg three times a day (total of 3mg/day) for 21 years.  I reduced by cutting 0.25mg (1/4 tablet) every two weeks or so.  I rotated my cuts between my morning, afternoon, and evening doses.  This worked well for me but I realize these aren't necessarily small cuts, especially as the dose gets lower and the percentages get higher.  I ran into a problem when I got to the last 0.25mg, though, because I tried to jump from that dose and it was too high.  This is when I switched to a water taper to finish up.

I don't have any suggestions but I can tell you how I reduced Klonopin.  I was on 1 mg three times a day (total of 3mg/day) for 21 years.  I reduced by cutting 0.25mg (1/4 tablet) every two weeks or so.  I rotated my cuts between my morning, afternoon, and evening doses.  This worked well for me but I realize these aren't necessarily small cuts, especially as the dose gets lower and the percentages get higher.  I ran into a problem when I got to the last 0.25mg, though, because I tried to jump from that dose and it was too high.  This is when I switched to a water taper to finish up.

Big dose for a long time.

On the whole, how did it all go?

I agree entirely with no substitution. Get it right the first time. You may be able to dry cut a bit at first (breaking pills) but if this gets too harsh consider a liquid microtaper.

I agree entirely with no substitution. Get it right the first time. You may be able to dry cut a bit at first (breaking pills) but if this gets too harsh consider a liquid microtaper.

I suggested substation because Xanax has a short half life, compared to klonopin, or the even longer acting valium, personal choice though.

If I was on Xanax I would try a crossover.

It went much better than I had anticipated.

Thank you it is nice to hear someone having a few problems as it proves that it isn't all bad and I could've done with reading something like this when I start without scared. Thanks again.

Thank you it is nice to hear someone having a few problems as it proves that it isn't all bad and I could've done with reading something like this when I start without scared. Thanks again.

I think we tend to hear more from the people who are struggling along in withdrawl than we do from the people who aren't having many problems and that is certainly understandable.  I continued with all of my day-to-day activities as I tapered although some days were rough because I had awful insomnia for a while.  But keeping my commitments was important to me because it made me feel like life was 'normal'.  Anyway, just some random thoughts of mine.

I think we tend to hear more from the people who are struggling along in withdrawl than we do from the people who aren't having many problems and that is certainly understandable.  I continued with all of my day-to-day activities as I tapered although some days were rough because I had awful insomnia for a while.  But keeping my commitments was important to me because it made me feel like life was 'normal'.  Anyway, just some random thoughts of mine.

I have heard that said online before as well. I still think you did well and I am so thankful that you posted, and when future people come along and see your post when they are doing a search, they will hopefully see that benzodiazepine tapers and that all bad.