Tranxene

[Pe...]

It has been a while since I posted but now I am with a new doctor who wants me to stop taking Tranxene. I have been taking this for years and I know since I am a senior I need to taper off it. I take 3.75 mg 3X a day and it not only helps with my anxiety but my fibromyalgia plus my husband has dementia and I am his only caregiver. I have to be able to function to take care of him. I have tried before to take less and I can tell the difference. I would also like to mention also have very bad GERD (acid reflux) and most medications I am unable to take. Any advice would be appreciated!!

It has been a while since I posted but now I am with a new doctor who wants me to stop taking Tranxene. I have been taking this for years and I know since I am a senior I need to taper off it. I take 3.75 mg 3X a day and it not only helps with my anxiety but my fibromyalgia plus my husband has dementia and I am his only caregiver. I have to be able to function to take care of him. I have tried before to take less and I can tell the difference. I would also like to mention also have very bad GERD (acid reflux) and most medications I am unable to take. Any advice would be appreciated!!

I am sorry to hear this.

Have you read the Ashton manual?

Can you cross over to valium or klonoopin as there is an equivalence crossing over schedule in the Ashton manual.

I am sorry your doctor wants you to come off, they should know that you cannot just come off benzos, I hope the doctor will let you stay on as long as you need to wean off, or you get another doctor.

If the Tranxene agrees with you then it makes sense to taper from it since it has such a long half life but I get the impression your heart isn't in this.  Do you experience any tolerance symptoms or is the drug working well for you?

Has your doctor stated he won't prescribe anymore, or is this just something he'd like to see you do?  If you still want to take the Tranxene, have you thought about looking for another doctor who will keep you supplied?