Need help : Taper Alprazolam SR .25 mg Once Daily

[pr...]

Hi All

I have been taking Alprazolam 0.25 mg once daily for the last 8 years.

Request help in coming up with a Taper plan that minimises unpleasant symptoms and keeps me functional.

I have .5mg tablets of Alprazolam that I break into half for 0.25 mg dosage.

Hello pratspit.

Am I correct that Xanax SR is a modified release tablet? (SR = Sustained Release)

Although you’ll want to verify this, my understanding is that it may not be safe to make alternations in modified release dosage forms. See link below for more information.

Other questions to consider and address as you develop your taper plan include:

What taper rate do I want to try?

What method willI I use to make ‘small enough’ reductions in dose?

What taper interval will I use?

PS To help others help you, please consider adding a signature with your medication history to your profile

Link:

Step 11- Ensuring that a Drug is Relatively ‘Taper-friendly’ | The Withdrawal Project

https://withdrawal.theinnercompass.org/taper/step-11-ensuring-drug-relatively-taper-friendly

Hi Libertas

Yes SR is a Sustained Release variant of the medicine.

Does that make it not safe for tapering by dry cutting ?

The only information I have about tapering and modified released dosage forms is what I’ve read at The Withdrawal Project (see the link in my previous post).

To learn more, your could try searching through past posts to our Xanax/alprazolam support group or posting your question there (the group hasn’t been very active of late but perhaps someone will pop it).  I’ve included a link below on how to search BenzoBuddies using Internet search engines (the forum’s search function is a bit dated) as well as a link to the Xanax support group.

PS Here are the instructions on how to add a signature to your Profile: Add your history/signature. Examples of information to include are: current benzodiazepine use (what benzodiazepine, duration of use, current daily dosing schedule and amounts), signs/symptoms of tolerance or interdose withdrawal, history of past benzodiazpine use/discontinuation, use/discontinuation of other psychotropic drugs (e.g. antidepressants).

Links:

Search Benzo Buddies Using Google, Bing, or DuckDuckGo

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=251991.0

The Xanax Club, Let Us Know How You Are Feeling Today

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=74309.msg987285#msg987285

• 4 weeks later...

I just crossed over from Xanax XR (I guess it's called this in the US) to Valium.  It the same thing, extended release.  I took the 1mg XR pills and the .5mg XR pills.  You are correct, you are no supposed to break them in half- this will then not support the extended release mechanism of the pill.  However, don't quote me, maybe the Xanax SR is different?

You could switch to just the IR version- immediate release and taper from there if your prescriber will prescribe them.  OR you could crossover to Valium, much longer half life and taper from there.  The conversion would be .25 Xanax XR+ 5mg Valium. 

Totally up to you, if you can get access to the IR Xanax, it may be much easier to just taper directly from there.  8 years is some time, so slow and steady is going to be best in my opinion, but that's just my opinion! 

All the best to you and your taper!!