Study, Apr/22:CBT for insomnia helps to reverse cognitive impairment in....

[La...]

The full title of this Mexican study is "Cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia helps to reverse cognitive impairment in insomnia patients".

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35371411/

Abstract

Introduction: Insomnia is the most common of sleep disorders, it induces a wide variety of organic symptoms, including somatic and cognitive impairments. There are pharmacological drugs nowadays that help diminish sleep impairments due to insomnia. However, most of them seem to be worsening cognitive impairments, benzodiazepine receptor agonists, in particular, seem to induce an even worst deterioration of cognitive function. On the other hand, cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia (CBT-I) has shown to be a reliable tool to improve the whole picture of insomnia.

Objectives: To analyze the effect of CBT-I on insomnia symptoms and cognitive performance in patients suffering from chronic insomnia.

Material and methods: Ten subjects with a diagnosis of insomnia and no pharmacological treatment were evaluated pre- and post-six biweekly sessions of CBT-I with two neuropsychological batteries, BANFE and NEUROPSI attention and memory.

Results: CBT-I significantly improves both the symptoms of insomnia, measured subjectively with a sleep diary and the Athens insomnia scale, and the cognitive performance measured with the neuropsychological batteries.

Discussion: CBT-I is not only an effective tool for the treatment of insomnia but also helps to ameliorate cognitive performance.