Docs in VA sympathetic to slow benzo withdrawal?

[...]

My husband is trying to get off klonopin. He's taking .75mg, down from 1.0 for 8 months. 

He went to the doc who prescribed it and explained how he wanted to slow taper off, perhaps even micro taper, because he is very sensitive to the drug. The doc became hostile - "just because you read it on the internet...", and told my husband he had never heard of the Ashton Manual ("I'm not a psychiatrist so I don't read that).  He also told my husband he wouldn't need to taper "...because the dose you are on is too small", and finally he recommended my husband stay on klonopin because it is helping.

I am terrified he will cut my sweet husband off completely so please, does anyone know of a doc in VA sympathetic to slow benzo withdrawal?

Thanks very much in advance

Quite a few of our members will taper off without their doctors knowledge, this isn't ideal but too many doctors don't acknowledge what we go through so they do it out of self-preservation.  We can help your husband taper off slowly and safely and if he tells his doctor he wishes to stay on the Klonopin then he'll have a good supply to do it with.  As I said, this isn't what we like to see but sometimes its necessary. 

There is no small dose of benzodiazepines, they're powerful at any dose and his brain has changed the way it functions because of it and his doctor has failed to educate himself about these drugs beyond what the drug rep tells him!  >:(

Unfortunately I agree with Pamster. And the unfortunately is not her advice but the lack of knowledge about benzo withdrawal. If the doctor is willing to let him stay on benzo's for life then it's probably best to just collect the pills. In my case I have a doctor who is very supportive in getting me off benzo's but she doesn't know anything about tapering or withdrawal. She's just prescribes and let me do my own thing. Everything I know about tapering and withdrawal I learned here.

Thank you both so much, that's exactly what we'll do. Once he's stable, we'll start him with a DMT (Daily Micro Dose) taper from his current .75.  Thanks again.