Switching to Valium

[ne...]

Hi. I am tapering K as you can see per my signature. Sometimes I freak out because I know and have read K is a beast. I then wonder if I should be switching over to Valium for the last part of my taper. Is there any logic to this? I do have plenty of symptoms on K but so far have been able to keep tapering. Maybe some encouragement on sticking with K would be helpful. I feel like I read that people have an easier time in acute when taking V compared to K but maybe that's just been what I've focused in on while reading. Thanks!

Hi nervouswreck,

Honestly, if you feel this taper is working for you at the moment, I’d just stick to the k. The crossover can be difficult and there’s a possibility that you may feel more destabilised through that process.

What you read may be true, but I sometimes wonder how we really know if one medication is better than the other in acute. I mean, did someone purposefully taper off k to see what acute was like with that, and then take up Valium, become dependant and then taper off that to compare the two. Otherwise we’re trying to measure the experiences of two totally different individuals with totally different body chemistry and many other variables.

If for some reason down the track you feel you need to crossover, you will have that option, but for now, if your taper is working, why risk upsetting the apple cart?

What Winters sun said!

But to add another thought, I never suggest a crossover unless the member suffers from severe interdose withdrawal on short acting drugs which Klonopin is not.  The grass isn't always greener on the other side and I've never seen any correlation between reduced symptoms post taper and the drug they used to taper with.