Duneman1 afraid to go to next taper level

[du...]

For some reason feel great fear to go to next taper cut. Don't want bad reaction like last time after 5 days into it felt like chewing on steel. I am 73 years old . get new local doctor ham. 1 maybe I should wait for her advice as did not tell current doc about my trying to taper off as afraid he will cut me off. Keep refilling and squirrel them away.

Goal was to be off by end of next month.

Now at valium 2.25 mg a.m 1.75 noon 1.75 evening.

Would it destroy me to just try cold turkey now at those low doses. Was doing 5.0mg 3 x day.

Advice on all above PLEASE !!!

Are you planning to taper within the 5-10% off your last dose every 2-4 weeks? That would be your best bet so you can move ahead more comfortably and reach your goal. I did CT and I do not recommend it. I reinstated after 8 days and have now been tapering K since May 1st. If you go with a reasonable cut you may feel "okay" which could give you the confidence to continue and not be so afraid next time.

Fear is a huge withdrawal symptom so what you're feeling is very common but more than that, you're fearing the pain and I can completely understand that.  I've always been in awe of people who can taper, who willingly invite the pain in their desire to be free of this drug, you have my respect.

My suggestion is to slow your taper down and hold your current dose, its clear you're not stable enough to reduce again.  I don't advise a cold turkey from this or any dose for the simple fact that it will be the most painful experience of your life and it won't do you any good.  If you cold turkey, you're still going to suffer for many more months, quitting the drug at this point won't help you feel better, in fact, it will hurt more.

Slowing your taper down will hopefully allow you to be functional, this can lessen your symptoms while you rid yourself of the drug.  As you taper, your brain is repairing the pathways the drug disrupted, a taper is used to allow for healing during the taper making the recovery phase less painful. 

Setting a goal to be off of the by next month isn't realistic, if you're doing a symptom based taper you can't predict when you'll be off the drug but you may be able to live your life while doing it and isn't that the whole point of tapering?

One last thought for you, I quit cold turkey and my recovery took 14 months, what did I accomplish by doing this?  Being in a hurry to be off the drug doesn't pay off, being drug free doesn't mean being symptom free.

Duneman1

Opinion on maybe I should skip noon and evening dose. Don't really seem to need them .it such low dose anyways??

Or skip either noon or evening. ??  a.m. dose seems most important. Okay to try that ? ?

Opinion please ??

Please don't skip doses, you're in too much pain and although you don't feel you're getting anything out of them, they're helping to keep your blood serum levels on an even keel.

You're not on a low dose, its still substantial, please keep all of your doses and I hope you won't reduce again until you're in less pain.

Duneman1

Thank you for help.. Bad day yesterday. Woke up with strange thoughts. Like one weird surrealistic thought to another every minute. Is this start of insanity ??? Got super depressed from 3 drinks I had last night to stop super panic attack. Doing this without doc. Supervision cause can't afford copay cause lost suppliment Medicare but start new supplimental

in Jan

With new doctor and  Will involve her. 73 years old I am.. maybe brain messed up to cause old age and life of constant 60's insanity until I settled down at 70 !!

Thank you for all your help !!

Duneman1

Have you looked at this list of symptoms lately, it really calmed me down when I was in a panic, plus she gives possible reasons why we feel them and that helps too.  Chapter 3 Ashton manual, list of symptoms

What this list tells me is that you're not insane although I can relate, my mom had schizophrenia and I thought for sure I had it too while going through this.

Did you say you had 3 drinks, were they alcoholic drinks?  This is a BAD idea, alcohol targets the same receptors in the brain as benzo's so in effect, you were supplementing your dose with alcohol.  This is going to make things much worse for you and its not just the next day, for some, the effects can last for weeks.  I don't mean to be dramatic but in your state, alcohol isn't the answer.

I hope your new doctor understands benzo withdrawal but few do so if she tries to speed up your taper, please strongly advocate for yourself.  Print out this document and show it to her.  Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

You can do this duneman1, your age makes it more challenging because lets face it, everything is for us old folks but every cell in your body still knows how to do this repair job and they will.

Duneman 1

Is it okay in Valium taper to take larger dose in am. And lesser dose noon and evening i.e..

2.5mg am 1.75mg noon and 1.75 evening ??

Or does varying doses like this screw up tapering ???

Hi duneman1,

If you change your doses around, there may be an adjustment period, but if you feel that the larger dose would serve you better in the morning rather than evening, then it is an option. What you can’t do is continue to switch them around. You would need to settle on one particular schedule. My concern would be that maybe you’re not in a stabilised enough condition to make these changes in your dosage schedule right now. Maybe it would serve you best to find some stabilisation before you think of switching your doses around, and then, only do it if you really do feel that you would be better having the 2.5mg in the morning.

Winters sun makes valid points, any change whether its a reduction or a dose rearrangement can cause symptoms.  If you're interested in doing this you could maybe make the change in a two step process or even more if warranted, anything to minimize the impact.

I'm sorry you had to resort to having drinks but I'm glad you're aware now of the possible impacts of using it.