Amnesia anyone?

[7d...]

Hi everyone,

during my too rapid I was a zombie and constantly forgetting everything. Now that I am stable I think there are giant holes in my memories since I started Benzos in 2016. Any of you have the same?

Naf1983

Hi Naf,

It’s very clear to me (and this is about the only thing in am clear about) that memory has not only declined, but my ability to make new memories or learn new things has taken a severe nose dive. I’m a musician and can no longer memorise new songs, musically or lyrically. What I could once learn in less than an hour, now takes weeks, and even then, muscle memory’s simply not there. I have to think while I’m playing to minimise mistakes. Also, I can generally only remember the lyrics to the first verse and chorus and then I’m lost. Memory is severely impaired. So much so that when my grandmother passed away, I forgot to inform my mother of her passing until about a week later, and you can imagine how that went down!  :-[

The lights are on but nobody’s home.

Hi Winters sun,

thanks for sharing. It is a tragic thing.

Of all the things I went through in my severely traumatising withdrawal, specifically the relentless insomnia, I never considered that in the long run, my memory impairment would be the things I would be the saddest about.

If I would have known Benzos would have done this, I would have never taken a Benzo long term, or ever.

I was looking through photographs I've taken since my Benzos; I'm so glad I took them to help me try to remember. This past year I barely took any pictures, but I am going to pick that up again. Even if it's simple things like the living room or the bedroom. They might be useful for later. It's something I think I would recommend to everyone. In our darkest hours make pictures of otherwise plain things, to help us remember.

Thanks again for sharing.

Naf1983

Hi Naf,

It’s very clear to me (and this is about the only thing in am clear about) that memory has not only declined, but my ability to make new memories or learn new things has taken a severe nose dive. I’m a musician and can no longer memorise new songs, musically or lyrically. What I could once learn in less than an hour, now takes weeks, and even then, muscle memory’s simply not there. I have to think while I’m playing to minimise mistakes. Also, I can generally only remember the lyrics to the first verse and chorus and then I’m lost. Memory is severely impaired. So much so that when my grandmother passed away, I forgot to inform my mother of her passing until about a week later, and you can imagine how that went down!  :-[

The lights are on but nobody’s home.