HELP, Do I jump or fast taper off, having bad symptoms

[to...]

Hi, I have been tapering off xanax since Jan 11, 2019 and have gone down from 4 mg a day to .174 mg a day.  A few months ago, the histamine issues started and have gotten pretty bad.  I try to eat as much low histamine food as I can but now, I am having reactions to ALL food that I eat and having panic attacks which I had not had since I was on the cold turkey 6 years ago.  Yesterday, I had what I call stroke like symptoms, dizzy, panic attack, headache, eyes got blurry, and sight was distorted, could barely think and could not speak or write in a coherent way and my hand went numb.  I ended up taking a extra dose of xanax, small dose, and within 20-30 minutes my symptoms got better.  But now I am so scared.  I went through this before after the Cold turkey and reinstatement of xanax after 7-9 months, then after 18 months is when I started having stroke like and heart attack like symptoms and every time I would go to the ER, they would do all kinds of tests and also give me Ativan.  All the symptoms would go away after taking the Ativan and the doctors all said health anxiety was the problem. 

I started to taper and have not had these issues since until now!  I do not know what to do. 

I need help figuring out if my body is saying get off this damn drug now or what!  I need help from others that have experienced something similar, even if not these symptoms. 

Do I jump or do I do a fast taper so I can get off this and hopefully start to heal?  I do not know what to do but I do know this is hell and I am so scared.  I feel like my body is telling me that it is time to get off of this med as fast as possible.  I know once I get off of xanax I will go into acute but is that better than what I am going through now?  I do not know.

I also wonder just how much the xanax is helping me at .058 mg 3 x a day!  Is that even enough to cause a seizure or is it even helping me at all??

Forgot to say - I have been taking a 2.5 mg of claritin as my doctor wanted me to try that for the histamine and started having side effects so had to stop it!  UGGG  I took it for almost 4 weeks and yesterday was my last dose of it that I will take.

Please help!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [to...]

• [je...]

• [Ka...]

• [Pa...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my dear! I’m so sorry you’re having these issues. I wish I had better advice for you, but I’ll let someone with more information weigh in. I do know when I got low (and you maybe remember this) I had all sorts of allergy problems. To most all foods and anything and everything. After I jumped off and over months of time it all went away! All of it! I’m sending you big hugs and all the positive vibes I can send to you! I remember the stroke like symptoms and they are the worst. I can tell you over time you do and will heal. Keep fighting the fight! I wish I had better advice to tell you and to help you. You always helped me so much! Sending you big hugs!  :smitten:

Oh my gosh, you must be so scared!  Do you think the Clairton is responsible for how you're feeling or did this start before you started taking it?

I wonder if you're right in thinking that its time to get off the drug, you've gone the reinstatement route so that doesn't seem like an option because you'll just end up here again, it might be time to finish what you started. 

The way I see it, you're miserable the way you are and we know you'll be miserable tapering rapidly and during the acute stage but at least then you'll be off the drug and your brain can truly be free to finish the repairs.

I don't think you need to worry about a seizure, your dose is very small and you've done a good taper, and I truly don't know what that tiny dose is doing for you, it appears not much so if I were in your shoes, I'd get this done and take the leap.  But this is my personality dictates, I can't say what is right for you.

Oh my dear! I’m so sorry you’re having these issues. I wish I had better advice for you, but I’ll let someone with more information weigh in. I do know when I got low (and you maybe remember this) I had all sorts of allergy problems. To most all foods and anything and everything. After I jumped off and over months of time it all went away! All of it! I’m sending you big hugs and all the positive vibes I can send to you! I remember the stroke like symptoms and they are the worst. I can tell you over time you do and will heal. Keep fighting the fight! I wish I had better advice to tell you and to help you. You always helped me so much! Sending you big hugs!  :smitten:

Hey lady - Thank you so much for responding!  I remember when you had so many allergy problems, but I did not realize that it was to foods too!  I am so glad to hear that all that got better!  This situation has just gotten worse and worse since the histamine issues started in February after I got to .25 mg in dose.  Since then, it has gotten bad especially with food.  I had started a diet at the end of December and have lost 40 pounds now but part of it is the limited food I was able to eat and now everything causes a reaction.  Thank you for the encouragement!  It helps!  I had this vision distortion one day last week too and then yesterday with all the other symptoms, it was horrible.  I did not know you had that too!  Wow - these drugs are horrible!

Dave told me today that he thinks I should just jump - he said that I am already miserable and have been for months and that at least if I jump, I can deal with what comes and get through it and then start to heal.  He remembers how bad things were when I was put on that cold turkey from 3 mg a day.  His thinking is that if I did not have a seizure jumping from that then I should not have a seizure from jumping at .174 mg.  He says he does not think it would get worse than it did while I was on the cold turkey, we both thought I was dying.  I do not want to go through that again either and that is why it is so hard for me to know what to do.  I really just want to get better!

Thank you for sending your positive vibes and support - as always!  :smitten: :smitten:

Oh my gosh, you must be so scared!  Do you think the Clairton is responsible for how you're feeling or did this start before you started taking it?

I wonder if you're right in thinking that its time to get off the drug, you've gone the reinstatement route so that doesn't seem like an option because you'll just end up here again, it might be time to finish what you started. 

The way I see it, you're miserable the way you are and we know you'll be miserable tapering rapidly and during the acute stage but at least then you'll be off the drug and your brain can truly be free to finish the repairs.

I don't think you need to worry about a seizure, your dose is very small and you've done a good taper, and I truly don't know what that tiny dose is doing for you, it appears not much so if I were in your shoes, I'd get this done and take the leap.  But this is my personality dictates, I can't say what is right for you.

Hi Pamster,

Thanks for your response!  I appreciate it!

Yes, I am scared!  Very scared!  I do not know if the claritin has anything to do with it!  I also take omeprazole which interacts with xanax and makes the blood levels higher and can cause wd to be worse.  Getting off the omeprazole is supposed to be one of the things I have to do since the manufacture I use has discontinued making it.  Have to start weaning off that too! 

A week or so ago, I thought that the xanax was doing the opposite of what it is supposed to be doing but I do not know if it was the xanax or the histamine.  This histamine is bad!  I went through that while on CT but did not know that is what it was at the time.  Then it was only to really spicy food and to ALL smells and now it is to all foods, so it has changed in that aspect.  Still having issues with smells too.

I agree that it might be time to finish what I started.  You do not think there is a seizure risk at .174 mg? Just wanted to be sure you knew I am on .174 divided into 3 doses a day.  .058 mg does not seem like it would have much of an effect in my opinion either.  It did, however, help with the stroke like symptoms yesterday. 

I know you cannot say what I should do, but, if it were you, would you rapid taper or just jump?  I am thinking that rapid tapering would be too hard to do as I have only been able to go down around 3-4 % in 2 months now.  I just wonder if I should jump and get on with it!

I started to have these symptoms again earlier but was able to distract and it ended up being more of a panic attack.  I even had my husband check my blood sugar and it was 115 so that was not it!  I did take my 2nd dose of .058 mg and it has not gotten worse. 

I do not know what to expect if I do jump. 

Thanks again Pamster!  :smitten:

It also seems like I am experiencing what I did while on cold turkey, severe histamine issues, dizziness, heart attack symptoms and stroke like symptoms, constantly feeling bad, panic attacks etc,  Another reason why I question if the dose I am on is so low that it is not doing anything anymore.

I've been talking to a couple of members in the last few days and we've been floating a theory that may be bonkers but it could also be something to consider.  What if what you're going through now is your acute phase, what if your dose is so low it's no longer offering any therapeutic benefits and you're in the thick of it?  This could mean things wouldn't get worse if you jump, it could mean more of what you're feeling now but once you pass this stage, things could ease up, I don't know.

I can't recommend jumping from this dose because that's not what we do here but I'm glad you have your husband to talk to.  Do you have a history of seizures, from what I've read, they're rare unless you have history or you cold turkey from a high dose. 

I've been talking to a couple of members in the last few days and we've been floating a theory that may be bonkers but it could also be something to consider.  What if what you're going through now is your acute phase, what if your dose is so low it's no longer offering any therapeutic benefits and you're in the thick of it?  This could mean things wouldn't get worse if you jump, it could mean more of what you're feeling now but once you pass this stage, things could ease up, I don't know.

I can't recommend jumping from this dose because that's not what we do here but I'm glad you have your husband to talk to.  Do you have a history of seizures, from what I've read, they're rare unless you have history or you cold turkey from a high dose.

Hi Pamster,

It is funny you said that because I just talked to a dear friend who has tapered from xanax and is doing well.  She basically said the same thing.    I do not think that is bonkers at all.  I have felt for a while that my body was telling me to jump but I was at a higher dose and would not do it. 

No, I do not have a history of seizures and since I did not have them when I was put on a cold turkey at a much higher dose, I would think that I would not have them now!

I am thinking that since I have had such bad withdrawal in the last few months and it feels like cold turkey symptoms and like the xanax is doing the opposite of what it is supposed to do, that maybe it truly is time to just jump and move forward.  At least I would not be putting more drug into my body.

I know you cannot recommend jumping, just wanted your opinion as to what you would do.  I am heavily leaning towards jumping.  If I am going to suffer like this, if I jump and get the med out of my system, then I would rather suffer without the med than to suffering with the med.  It would be nice if I in fact am in acute and things would not get worse.  I can pray that is what is happening!

Thanks for your response.  :smitten:

Thank you for the responses and support!  I did in fact decide that it is time for me to move forward and I took my last dose of xanax last night at 8:15 pm. 

This is scary and exciting at the same time!  I have been tapering for 930 days!  That is a long time!  My body and system have been telling me it is time to jump for months now.  My dose amount was all that stopped me.  Today I had to let go of that number and go with my heart, mind and gut!

I feel this is the right decision for me and I pray that it will not be too hard.  Whatever comes, I will get through it!

I cannot let fear lead me. I choose positivity and the knowledge that my new life is waiting when I am done with this part of this journey!

Hugs and thanks again! :smitten:

I just want to wish you all the best! I know how difficult this decision is, choosing between so much pain and the unknown. I truly hope it pays off. Just remember you did the best you could with what you had!

I just want to wish you all the best! I know how difficult this decision is, choosing between so much pain and the unknown. I truly hope it pays off. Just remember you did the best you could with what you had!

Thank you so much!  Yes, it was a very difficult decision but one that I feel was long overdue.  The unknown is a hard one, but I have been dealing with that for a long while now.  It has been a long hard road for me!  I hope it pays off too!  Getting off this drug was the ultimate goal and on to healing even while maybe still suffering.

I appreciate that!  You are so right; I have done the best I could do with what I have had! 

:smitten:

All the best from me as well!  Jumping feels scary to most of us no matter what dose we are on.  Transitioning to a completely benzo-free life was hard for me but it also felt like a huge accomplishment to get the taper behind me and to *finally* be benzo-free after 21 years on them.

Stick around after jumping because the support here got me through that phase as well.

Kate08    :smitten:

All the best from me as well!  Jumping feels scary to most of us no matter what dose we are on.  Transitioning to a completely benzo-free life was hard for me but it also felt like a huge accomplishment to get the taper behind me and to *finally* be benzo-free after 21 years on them.

Stick around after jumping because the support here got me through that phase as well.

Thank you Kate08!!  Yes, it does feel scary, and I have read others say it is too.  I have been trying to figure out what to do with part of my time all day as I am so used to doing certain things centered around my taper.  I feel like you, that it is a huge accomplishment to be done tapering and to be off this drug.  I had been on xanax for over 40 years so I can relate!  Most of that time was as needed and I only took it 3-4 times a year at .125 mg but it has been a part of my life since I was 18 years old! The last 6 years other than the cold turkey time, was at above 3-4 mg.  Awful!

I will definitely be sticking around as I know I will need support and encouragement!  This is just the 2nd part of this journey!

Thanks for your wishes and I am so glad that you are off these meds too! 

Congratulations my dear friend! You are on to healing and better days! I am here for support and just know what you are feeling will pass in time. You deserve this! I’m happy for you! Big hugs and positive vibes headed your way!  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Congratulations my dear friend! You are on to healing and better days! I am here for support and just know what you are feeling will pass in time. You deserve this! I’m happy for you! Big hugs and positive vibes headed your way!  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thank you so much!!  I am so grateful for your love and support!  As always!! 

Sending big hugs back your way!!

:angel: :angel: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Have one more question - although I have already jumped

I wonder when it is going to hit the fan.  Usually when I make a cut that is too much, I feel it right away and sometimes have had to go back up in dose.  This was a big cut down to 0 from .174 mg and I am not feeling it like I would a normal cut that was too big.  Scares me a bit!  Any thoughts?

I'm wondering if by focusing on what may or could happen is doing you any favors?  It's easy for me to say, hey, chill, don't worry about it, go with the flow but I sure wish you could.  I know when I'm dreading an event, I make things so much worse and then when it happens I realize I made a mountain out of molehill and worked myself up for no reason. 

I hope you can go for a walk, or some other some other activity that will distract you, use those tools you've used for so long and hopefully what you're waiting for will never materialize.  Whatever happens, you've been through worse so try not to let your fear get the best of you, you've come so far and gained so much wisdom, I know you can handle whatever comes your way.

Thanks for responding Pamster, actually I just thought about this a little while ago. It just occurred to me about what normally happens with too much of a cut.

I'm doing ok so I will not let this thought take over.

🤗

After 2 days, 50 hours from last dose taken, went into severe withdrawal.  I had to wake my husband at midnight as I was feeling burning inside and hot outside and my throat was closing, and I was shaking so hard I could not hold anything.  I was very, very dizzy and off balance!  I also was feeling very faint, and we thought I might pass out!  I was scared to death!  I started having a panic attack as well and started to hyperventilate.  Dave told me to take a piece of xanax and I did but my throat was closing, and it did not want to go down, I was gagging and scared the pill would not go down, but it finally did!  After about 15-20 minutes my body started to calm down.  We sat together for over an hour calming me down and making a new plan.

I write this as I am hoping my experience might help someone else.    I thought I would be able to jump from .174 mg of xanax but I have been so sensitive to the cuts.  This cut to 0 was not the right thing for me to do.  Once the med was getting out of my system after 2 days, it hit me harder than a ton of bricks.  Hard lesson to learn!  But at least I tried, and I now know this is not an option for me. 

I will continue to taper and once I get low in dose, I will jump and move forward. 

I still have the same concerns about the histamine and the symptoms I was having when I started this thread, but I know now that what I have to do is keep tapering and get stable between each cut and do the best I can!  There is no other way off for me right now!

I'm sorry it didn't work out. I'm glad you're going to taper. The really good thing is, now you don't need to wonder anymore.

I'm sorry it didn't work out. I'm glad you're going to taper. The really good thing is, now you don't need to wonder anymore.

Thank you!  I am sorry it did not work out too but at least it did not take a week or two to happen and be in worse shape.  I think tapering is the only way!  I agree, I do not have to wonder anymore!

Thanks for posting jelly belly!!

Oh dear, I am so sorry you had this experience but the same thing happened to me.  I tried jumping from 0.25mg of clonazepam and after two days I was a wreck (and making my hubby a wreck as well!).  Looking back, I could see that I wasn't confident that I had tapered far enough - I was trying to rush things - but that was hindsight.  Anyway, I reinstated, updosed, tapered all the way to 0.01mg, and jumped from there.  I WAS confident I had tapered far enough the second time and things went smoothly for me then.

I'm glad you are going with a new plan to finish your taper - being flexible is so important during this process!!  I'm also glad you felt comfortable enough to share your experience with us.

Oh dear, I am so sorry you had this experience but the same thing happened to me.  I tried jumping from 0.25mg of clonazepam and after two days I was a wreck (and making my hubby a wreck as well!).  Looking back, I could see that I wasn't confident that I had tapered far enough - I was trying to rush things - but that was hindsight.  Anyway, I reinstated, updosed, tapered all the way to 0.01mg, and jumped from there.  I WAS confident I had tapered far enough the second time and things went smoothly for me then.

I'm glad you are going with a new plan to finish your taper - being flexible is so important during this process!!  I'm also glad you felt comfortable enough to share your experience with us.

Hi Kate08,

Thanks for your post!!  I appreciate it so much!  Thank you - it was awful!  I am so sorry this happened to you too!    I remember reading some of your posts talking about this and I have been looking at the water titration method you used for several months!  I wish I had done that instead of trying the jump. 

When you reinstated, how long did you wait until you updosed and then tapered all the way to 0.01mg?  Do you have to updose or can you start from whatever dose you are on?  Did you have any issues as you went down and one last question - how was it when you jumped then and did you get hit with severe withdrawal or was it tolerable?  Sorry for so many questions.  Just trying to make some good choices.

I had the same fear about the water as you even though it looks like it is easier than cutting the pills.  I have just wondered if it is really hard going down by 0.01 each day.  I read that you can go slower, and I was actually thinking maybe once I get stable and start to taper that maybe I could try a 60 or 90 day plan to get off.  I certainly do not want to do that and then when I jump have the same experience I just had!  Is that possible? 

Being at .174 mg is not a high dose so I hope that I will still be able to get off of it before too long. 

I wanted to first, let people know who had posted here, that things did not go well for me, and I also wanted anyone looking for help like I was, that sometimes waiting to jump may be a better way to go.  It is so true that we are all different!  That also makes this so hard because we do not know what to do sometimes.

Thanks again for posting and for being so helpful!

:smitten: :smitten:

Hi Kate, how long was your entire taper?  I thought I had read you tapered and then held.  Was it hard for you to get from 3 mg a day down to the .5mg?

Thanks

My entire taper was six months.  I cut 0.25mg every two weeks or so until I got to 0.25mg and tried jumping from there.  Failed.  After two days I reinstated, updosed to 0.5mg, and did a water taper for almost 2 months reducing 0.01mg/day until I got to 0.01mg and jumped from there.  Success the second time around.  :thumbsup:

tolnbltp

I just want to clarify one point. 0.174 might seem like a small dose but it's important to remember that Xanax is very potent. It means you only need a tiny bit to get an effect. That is likely why you couldn't tolerate the jump. So even though the dose is small it contains a very strong amount of Xanax (for lack of a better explanation). I just want to you to keep this in mind when making decisions. I really want to see you succeed - you've come so far!  :hug: